Understanding Music

April 4, 2013

Still from Understanding Music video.

By Gabrielle.

Koseli sent me this interesting and beautiful video and I’ve watched it several times. I think you’ll enjoy it.

I learned to read music when I was young, beginning with piano lessons that started at age 6 or 7, and continuing into high school choir. I’ve always been glad I know how — if only to sing the hymns on Sundays. But watching the video reminds me I don’t really understand music at all.

That doesn’t stop me from enjoying it.

Remember when Dumbledore says, “Ah, music. A magic far beyond all we do here!” I love that quote.

P.S. — Koseli’s computer is on the outs and we’ve missed her posts this week. But she’ll be back up and running soon.

{ 3 trackbacks }

Music | Beautiful & Curious
April 4, 2013 at 2:18 pm
Binenstich » Musik und eine schnelle Frage…
April 5, 2013 at 12:17 am
Happy Weekend! | Snippet & Ink
April 12, 2013 at 8:31 am

1 Koseli April 4, 2013 at 7:15 am

Thanks Gabby! I loved this too. I am a great appreciator of music, and play the piano and sing a little, but certainly don’t understand music like I’d love to.

Hope the computer recovers soon! We had a sippy cup accident with my laptop. :(

2 Azra April 4, 2013 at 7:20 am

I loved this video. Music is a magic… and luckily part of our life. Thank you.

3 Val April 4, 2013 at 10:33 am

This was absolutely lovely! Thanks for sharing it, Koseli.

4 Alice April 4, 2013 at 11:12 am

I have played the piano since I was 6 (I’m 23 now) and I still can barely read music. I have quite a good ear though, so I learn predominantly by listening. The video is lovely- it’s so true, I know a reasonable amount about music and stopped learning because trying to understand it was starting to stop me from enjoying it! So yes, you don’t need to understand it to enjoy it :) xx

5 Carter Higgins April 4, 2013 at 11:44 am

Oh, man. This is spectacular.

6 Megan M. April 4, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Aww, I love an HP quote!

I sang in chorus from third grade on up. Every year in high school our teacher would teach us how to read music, and every year, I would magically “get it” right at the end of the lesson… and then it would stop and I would stop. There was always someone in our section (Alto) who read music and would just tell everybody else what the pitches were.

7 Mimi April 4, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Thanks for sharing this lovely video…and thank goodness we don’t have to understand music to fully appreciate it! Where would we be without it.

8 giulia April 5, 2013 at 7:56 am

i saw this a few months ago and fell in love with it. now i’ve fallen again. seriously, i’ve never been musically talented, at all (although i’ve tried…) but i enjoy it so much…

9 )en April 6, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Dumbledore–ever so wise. music IS magic. Love it. This was fun. Loved the tangled pop-up. :) Sorry about your computer, Kos!

10 tere April 11, 2013 at 3:28 pm

This video is a beauty!!! It reminds me of an interviewI saw once, of a world known astrophysicist and he was asked if it was true that there was music when the universe started. He said it was true, that modern radioscopes had found crystalized fossils of the big bang showing different kinds of sound waves, which were like the ones that music produce. Isn’t that awesome? Wonder how that music sound like, heavenly, maybe…