Puppy Luv

April 3, 2013

murano island near venice

This post is brought to you by The Clorox Company. I have partnered with them to spread the word about Clorox’s Ick-tionary program. To share Ick-tionary terms and real life messes, visit www.icktionary.com. All opinions and stories are my own.

Images and text by Gabrielle.

When we were on our trip to Venice, right around New Year’s Eve, we took a day trip to the island of Murano, famed for it’s colored glass. After exploring the island for a couple of hours, we were ready for a break. We stopped in a beautiful plaza, with a line of trees down the center and Italian architecture framing the whole area. It was stunning!

murano island near venice

The trees were enclosed in cement planters that functioned as benches. The kids sat down and made themselves comfortable and we all passed around a bottle of water and just chilled for while.

When we stood up, we realized that our particular bench happened to be a popular spot for dogs. Really popular. Olive, Oscar, Betty and Maude all had poop covered coats. Just smeared all over their backsides. I swear the mess multiplied  in front of our eyes. We kept finding it in new places — on another sleeve, on the back of someone’s shoe. How in the world had we not noticed we were sitting on dog poo?! So gross.

Oh. And did I mention we were on an island? Far from our hotel and access to clean clothes? Not our finest moment. And no, I did not record that grand moment for posterity with our camera. I confess, at the time, it was hard to smile about it. : )

murano island near venice

When Clorox asked if our family had any of our own ick-tionary words, the day on Murano and the word “Puppy Luv” came to mind immediately. I totally say Puppy Luv when referring to that sort of mess. Puppy Luv: When you encounter a little “gift” left by a canine companion. As in: It looks like you’ve got some puppy luv on your sneaker. Or. Turns out our entire family has been sitting in puppy luv for the last half an hour.

I love the whole idea of words that make talking about life’s messy moments a little less gross. I think my favorites from the Clorox Ick-tionary list are:

Clorox Disinfecting Wipes- Heave-hello — when your baby spits up on a person you’re talking to.
- Ew-Phone — the feel of your smart phone after your child has been playing with it.
- French Terry Dip — when one end of your bathrobe belt gets wet in the toilet.

The list is pretty funny. And made me a little queasy too. Hah! There’s nothing like an “icktionary” moment that makes me reach for my disinfecting wipes.

Does your family have any “ick-tionary” words that you’ve made up? I’d love to hear them.

P.S. — I’ve never actually shared my report of our trip to Venice. Still working on it! Consider these photos a sneak peek. : )

1 Grace@ Sense and Simplicity April 3, 2013 at 9:32 am

After a rough sea crossing to Greece many years ago we refer to vomiting as “feeding the fish”. Somehow sounds much nicer than up-chucking.

2 Design Mom April 3, 2013 at 11:25 am

Oh my goodness. I am familiar with “feeding the fish” on rough seas, but I’ve never heard it called that. Fantastic.

3 Sarah April 3, 2013 at 9:45 am

We traveled to Mexico as an extended family and everyone (I mean everyone) got sick to their stomach. The real terms for this just sound yucky so we affectionately called it Montezuma’s Revenge. We still refer to it as this, makes me smile every time I think about it!

4 Design Mom April 3, 2013 at 11:26 am

Good old Montezuma’s Revenge. Classic.

5 giulia April 3, 2013 at 11:48 am

oh my i’m sorry that happened! at least you can laugh about it now:) we cannot wait to see and read your stories from venice

6 Design Mom April 3, 2013 at 12:07 pm

You’re so kind, Giulia. Happily, it makes for a good story.

7 Alicia W. April 3, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I think I’m going to adopt your “Puppy Luv” term…it sounds better than dog poop to me…

8 Design Mom April 4, 2013 at 3:56 am

I hope it helps. : )

9 Miggy April 3, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I’m actually flying into Venice this Sunday (my first trip to Europe!) and was super excited to get a good DM recommendation about Venice…and then I got a this. Haha…if nothing else I will remember this little cautionary tale and look before I sit. :0 (I think we’re going to try and see Murano too.)

10 Design Mom April 4, 2013 at 3:57 am

Have so much fun, Miggy! Prepare to be amazed.

11 Melissa L. April 3, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Skid marks – the little poopy marks that are sometimes “left behind” in a toddler’s training pants.

12 Design Mom April 4, 2013 at 3:58 am

Ah yes. Another term I am intimately acquainted with. Good one!

13 kim April 3, 2013 at 11:12 pm

We call them dog chocolates, as in the dog has left little presents around the yard, just like Easter Bunny.

And sometimes it’s dog clay, as in “I think you stepped in some dog poo”, “Eww – I’m not sure it’s poo. I think it’s clay or something”, “Clay, yes – dog clay”.

14 Design Mom April 4, 2013 at 3:58 am

I’m feeling the dog clay. “I think it’s clay or something.” I can totally imagine myself saying that.

15 mollyb April 4, 2013 at 9:05 am

I lived in France for a while, there was a park in the city that I went to a lot. One bench, regardless of how busy and full the park was, was never occupied. Occasionally someone would sit down, probably thinking that they we so lucky to have a whole bench to themselves, and quickly realize that the tree the bench was under was occupied by pigeons, lots of pigeons who ate all the crumbs from all of the lunches of all the occupants of the park. Needless to say, no one ever sat on that bench long.

16 Rachel P April 4, 2013 at 10:44 pm

We recently had a similar situation with our little 2 year old. Our neighbors across the street from us have a few dogs that really like our yard. Even though we’ve mentioned it to them we still get treats on occasion left behind and the other day my husband thought maybe he or my daughter had stepped in some “puppy luv”. It smelled so gross and he washed their shoes and the floor with Clorox wipes (of course!). It wasn’t until I was on the floor playing with my 4 month old and my daughter walked past me 10 minutes later that I saw it. Somehow she had sat in some “puppy luv” on her way into the house from the car. Of course a 2 year old can be in many places over the course of 10 minutes and my mind started to trace her movements trying to think of everything that could have come into contact with her. Of course she’d chosen to sit in the baby’s carseat and rock herself back and forth in that time. I gag just thinking about it. In to the wash it went and the house got a good wash down with the wipes. Gross.

17 Anita Knapp April 6, 2013 at 12:27 am

We called the noisy diaper-filling activities of a newborn “interior decorating.” After that, of course comes the inevitable “exterior decorating” if you can’t change the diaper quickly enough.