People Swimming Under Crashing Waves

April 17, 2013

People Swimming under crashing waves People Swimming under crashing waves People Swimming under crashing waves People Swimming under crashing waves People Swimming under crashing waves

By Koseli. Photos by Mark Tipple.

These pictures of people swimming under crashing waves are making me wish for summer and trips to the beach. Are you an ocean lover, or a little frightened of waves and deep water?

P.S. — You can purchase Tipple’s prints here.

{ 5 trackbacks }

FRIDAY WEEKLY WONDERS |
April 19, 2013 at 11:17 am
Reader: April 23, 2013 | updownacross
April 23, 2013 at 8:16 am
5 ting vi liker akkurat nå! : Foreldremanualen
April 26, 2013 at 1:40 pm
Weekly Roundup: Spring In Full Swing! : How To Pickle A Sweater
April 26, 2013 at 1:49 pm
Our Friday Favorites for this week...happy june
June 7, 2013 at 5:44 am

1 Alex April 17, 2013 at 7:55 am

i absolutely love these images.

AT

2 Abbey April 17, 2013 at 8:21 am

Stunning.

3 Koseli Cummings April 17, 2013 at 10:30 am

Thanks Abbey! Seriously. This photographer is amazing.

4 Maria B April 17, 2013 at 8:29 am

About 15 years ago I was SCUBA diving in Okinawa and I got caught in a set of waves while trying to exit. The force slammed me into a little cove and tore my regulator out of my mouth. I was being picked up and slammed down with each wave. I was actually passing out when a man who’d been just sightseeing and saw what was happening ran down and picked me up between waves, shoved my reg into my mouth and then hung on to me while we both weathered the remaining waves in the set. I’ve tried since then to fight the fear I feel anytime I hear the sound of crashing waves. I’ve successfully dived (dove?) again but seeing these photos makes my heart pound.

5 Maria B April 17, 2013 at 8:31 am

Also, in case you’re wondering, I wasn’t alone. My dive buddies were safe, but pinned to the rocks about 10 yards away. It was scary (extreme understatement!)

6 Koseli Cummings April 17, 2013 at 10:31 am

Maria! That is so, so terrifying. I am so glad you made it out safe and sound. Thank you for sharing. That doesn’t make me want to ever go diving…

7 Giulia April 17, 2013 at 9:04 am

I love the ocean and I love the beach and while the images are beautiful this is way too scary for me. I’d be terrified!

8 Koseli Cummings April 17, 2013 at 10:32 am

Me too! I love swimming but going in that deep with that much force knocking you around…pretty scary.

Thanks, Giulia!

9 stephanie kraus April 17, 2013 at 10:07 am

amazing. How does the photographer stay so still?? — crazy talent!

10 Bestof2sisters April 17, 2013 at 10:13 am

I do love the sea, but gaaah… these photos are spectacular and frightening!!
I am in awe of these stunning images, so surreal and eerie.
Camilla x
Ps. You always share such incredibly interesting stuff, Koseli!

11 Koseli Cummings April 17, 2013 at 10:30 am

Thanks so much, Camilla! That’s very sweet. I am a little terrified of the ocean. Watching Life of Pi was a painful experience. :)

12 Stella April 17, 2013 at 10:44 am

Not going to lie. As cool as these shots are, they are *terrifying* to me. I am not a big ocean swimmer. Prefer to wade in the water & lay out on the beach all day instead..

13 Adina | Gluten Free Travelette April 17, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Love these images. They make me miss surfing in Encinitas (north of San Diego).

14 'me' April 17, 2013 at 2:58 pm

great pictures !
NTW : I love the sea but I am not fond of huge waves and deep waters. I’m a bit of a chicken sometimes ;)

15 Diane McK April 17, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I grew up in California. I love the ocean. I’ve spent many, many hours body surfing in Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara. One thing you learn early on when swimming in the ocean is when you see a big wave coming that is going to crash on top of you…is to dive under it. It took me a while to be brave enough to try it. Once you do…you will never not do it. It is peaceful and calm and safe. I love these photographs. I love how you see the curve of the ocean floor. I love how you can see the peaceful calm water underneath the power of the wave!

That said…what Maria B is describing may possibly be a riptide…or not. SO scarey. I have had no experience with that…thankfully. I’m glad she and her friends made it out safely!!!

16 julie @ duet letterpress April 25, 2013 at 3:14 pm

wow! crazy + beautiful images. yeh, i have to admit i’m a little hesitant about deep water!

17 Nicole Underwood April 29, 2013 at 11:47 am