Oscar’s Baptism

April 8, 2013

Oscar Blair

Image and text by Gabrielle.

The weekend was wonderful, crazy weather and all! Oscar was baptized in the river down the street. It was a truly joyful gathering, and remembering it makes me happy.

We cleared out the studio to make space for 50 people — family, neighbors, friends from town, and the few members of our tiny Mormon congregation. We had a little program, then the whole group put on coats and walked down to the river. It felt like a parade! Oscar and Ben Blair led the way, all wrapped up in white bathrobes.

At the river, a few of us walked down to the edge of the water, while most people watched from the bridge at road level. The water was cold! But happily, the baptism was short. : ) When Oscar climbed out of the water, everyone cheered!

Then we all walked back to the house and while Oscar suited up, our guests watched a little video that Ben and Ralph had made a few days before, featuring Oscar talking about faith and baptism and confirmation. I snapped the photo above when he was dressed and ready to rejoin our guests.

After the video, Oscar was confirmed and then we all enjoyed gouter (which means afternoon refreshments) in the kitchen. My friend Caroline helped me arrange the food — hundreds of tiny versions of all my favorites from this bakery. Heavenly!

It really was a wonderful day of family and friends. Ben Blair and I stayed up late that night going over the details of the day and grinning. If you’d like, you can see lots of photos of the gathering on Instagram.

P.S. — Yes, everything was in French. The songs, the prayers, the program, the baptism, the video. The whole thing!

1 caroline April 8, 2013 at 11:53 am

We stayed up late that night going over the details of the day and grinning…too :) it was a wonderfull day ! Hourah pour Oscar !

2 christina @ homemade ocean April 8, 2013 at 12:03 pm

So neat….I am sure that will be a very fond memory for him!

3 Cheltz April 8, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Any baptism day is special, but I can’t help thinking that Oscar will feel like his was extra special! Congrats, Oscar!

4 Colleen April 8, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Congratulations to Oscar! He is too dang cute.

5 Stella April 8, 2013 at 12:45 pm

What a great memory for Oscar! I can barely remember my baptism day (except that my aunt made my favorite chocolate mint brownies…. yes, that shows you what my priorities were on that day ;)) But I do know that it was something I looked forward to and wanted to do. Congratulations to Oscar for making such a meaningful & important step in his life!

On a side note, I would be really interested in reading a post sometime about your little branch and your experiences with attending church in France.

6 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay April 9, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I would love to hear more about your church in France too!

7 Heidi April 8, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Congratulations!

8 Robyn T April 8, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Congratulations to Oscar! What a baptism! I’m sure it will be a favorite memory for the whole family. Love his suit!!

9 Linda K April 8, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Felicitations! Looks like a wonderful celebration. I read a bit about Mormon baptism to educate myself, it sounds like a very interesting ceremony. How much work did Oscar have to do to prepare?

Also, I am wondering about Oscar’s dapper suit…my son has his First Communion in May and I am looking for a suit in exactly that colour. Would you mind sharing where you found it?

10 Chelle April 8, 2013 at 1:18 pm

It looks like such a lovely time. Congratulations to Oscar!

11 bekka April 8, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Congratulations to Oscar! What a wonderful experience and how fitting it should happen on Conference weekend. My mom put together big to-do’s for our baptisms and I’ll never forget the love and support I felt from that.

12 Amy April 8, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I needed this JOYFUL entry to my inbox today, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING!

13 Lisette Wolter-McKinley April 8, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Looking so serious and grown up. Little men in suits are the best!

14 Connie April 8, 2013 at 1:39 pm

What a wonderful experience! It sounds fantastic!

15 shawna April 8, 2013 at 1:40 pm

congrats Oscar! What a special day full of wonderful covenants and memories!

16 Lynnette April 8, 2013 at 1:44 pm

What a special day! Thanks for sharing the details. My own son is being baptized this Saturday so this post is extra meaningful to me.

17 TJ April 8, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Congratulations Oscar! And I would love to hear more cheering at baptisms. That made my heart sing!

18 Cathryn April 8, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I have wondered previously if you’d found a mormon church in your tiny corner of France. i’m glad you found a French church home! Congratulations Oscar on a very special day.

19 Sabrina April 8, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Looks like such an amazing event, one that will be remembered fondly by every member of the family. Congratulations to Oscar! I wish baptisms in rivers, oceans, etc., were still the norm, even with the uncertainty of the weather and water temperature.

20 The Prudent Homemaker April 8, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I learned most of my hymns and primary songs first in French. I remember learning “Bapteme” as a missionary and not having ever heard that primary song before, and then finding out right beforehand that I had to sing it with other missionaries at a baptism!

My son turned 8 in January and I was asked to sing that song (in English) with another sister at his baptism (her son was baptized that day, too). I had to struggle to sing it in English, even after all this time! I know it first in French.

Felicitations, Oscar!

21 Adrienn April 8, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Congratulations! :)

22 Jodi April 8, 2013 at 4:24 pm

How sweet! That’s a memory he (and all of you as well!) will certainly cherish!

23 Robyn April 8, 2013 at 4:33 pm

How exciting. My brother was baptized in the Mediterranean Sea when we lived in Algeria. Such a memorable occasion. I would love for you to post the video Ben and Ralph made.

24 Lauren April 8, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I always understood that the happiest moments of my life would be when my sons were born, but I now understand that the most joyful day of my life as a parent will be when I see my sons baptized as a statement of their faith. Congrats to all of you, especially to a mom who is raising great kids!

25 Susan April 8, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Would you consider posting the video? I’d love to see it. Although it would be helpful if you add English subtitles.

26 Colleen April 8, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Thank you for sharing your lovely day and thank you again for returning to those poignant beaches where so many Americans gave their lives. I appreciate it as we are a military veteran family and we have also visited those beaches. It is a sacred place of honor. Your visits instill that in your beautiful children.
Colleen

27 Grace @ sense and simplicity April 8, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Congratulations to Oscar. What wonderful memories and what a dapper young man he looks. I had a look at your instagrams over the weekend because I”m a nosey nellie and I enjoyed seeing all the celebration photos.

28 Jenny April 8, 2013 at 9:36 pm

This was really neat to read. I’m so excited for my oldest to be baptized in December!

29 Rachel April 8, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Oh, congratulations to Oscar!! Such a special time for him and for your family.

30 R April 9, 2013 at 12:08 am

Congrats Oscar! This will be a fantastic story to share with your kids someday!

31 Paula April 9, 2013 at 8:08 am

I saw one person has requested it, but I second it. Please let us know where you go that suit. It is perfect.

32 m e l April 9, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I loved your instagram photos of his baptism. Makes me want to move to France so bad before my 7 year old turns 8. What an awesome and memorable experience for Oscar. And what a handsome little guy in that suit!!

33 Lucy April 9, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Congratulations, it sounds like it was a wonderful ocassion full of lots of love and fun. He looks very smart as well,

34 Rachel April 9, 2013 at 9:07 pm

So cute! Congratulations to Oscar!

35 Karen in Ireland April 11, 2013 at 5:21 am

Congrats. Sounds like some celebration and a wonderful memory for Oscar and the whole family to cherish. His suit is fab, great colour and cut! Agree this would be perfect for communions and summer family weddings.

36 Meredith April 15, 2013 at 10:51 pm

how wonderful. our little 8 year old just got baptized yesterday and i loved watching her take in the whole experience. she told me today when she came home from school that “it seemed like all my friends liked me even more than they already did!” it really is such a special moment… life-changing!