Introducing: The Genet Scarf

April 16, 2013

The Genet Scar by fashionABLE. A collaboration between Alt Summit and ONE.org.

By Gabrielle.

Last month, I wrote about the fashionABLE scarves that were designed by the Alt Summit community. You may remember the post, but if not, here’s a little synopsis: Alt Summit and ONE.org worked together to host a contest. Alt Summit community members were invited to design scarves that would be woven by the women of fashionABLE in Ethiopia.

Tons of designs came in. And the top 4 were voted on during the Alt Summit conference last January. The winner, was this gorgeous scarf in black and white, designed by the talented Janette Crawford of Fashion Loves People, and woven in ridiculously soft Ethiopian cotton.

That’s the story in brief, and this is best news ever: The winning scarf is now for sale!

The Genet Scar by fashionABLE. A collaboration between Alt Summit and ONE.org.

Introducing The Genet Scarf. It’s beautiful! Seriously. But you can see that already. Each handmade scarf takes three days to make and is named after one of the amazing women who helped produce it. (You can read Genet’s story after the jump.) This limited edition scarf is available at the ONE Store or directly from fashionABLE.

Order one today and it will be shipped out on April 22nd. Buy a scarf and save a life. I can’t think of a better Mother’s Day gift!

fashionABLE scarves in Ethiopia

About Genet

“Because of you, I am ABLE to embrace my role as a mother.”

“I don’t remember my birth mother, and I don’t know my birthday or actual age, so the timeline of my story is based on my best guess. I was brought from the countryside into the city of Addis at age 3 by an aunt who promised my family I would be sent to school and have a “better life .” Instead, I was groomed to be a housemaid and given so many responsibilities that the load of work become impossible and overwhelming .

By age 12, I ran away and began living on the street. I felt lost and I was continually raped. Eventually, I became pregnant. With a baby at 15, I learned to have sex for money so I could support her. I coped with life through drinking, drugs and smoking.

Genet and her daughter, of fashionABLE in Ethiopia

I recently learned about the fashionABLE program and am enrolled in counseling to work through my addictions, my childhood trauma, and learn ways to reconnect with my now 6-year-old daughter.  I am also working at fashionABLE and grateful to have a job that provides dignity.”

You can read more stories of the women of fashionABLE here.

The Genet Scar by fashionABLE. A collaboration between Alt Summit and ONE.org.

P.S. — A huge thank you to Jeannine of ONE.org and Barrett of fashionABLE for making this collaboration happen. I couldn’t be more delighted with the result.

{ 1 trackback }

Introducing: The Genet Scarf
April 16, 2013 at 7:40 pm

1 Ma April 16, 2013 at 11:17 am

Wow – I love this.. thanks!

2 Design Mom April 17, 2013 at 2:48 am

Glad you like it, Ma.

3 Jeannine April 16, 2013 at 11:30 am

Thank you dear Gabby for the brilliant idea and for making this happen. YOU have and are making a difference in the lives of so many and I am so thankful you are in my life. xoxo

4 Design Mom April 17, 2013 at 2:47 am

Jeannine, getting to work with you is inspiring! You’re amazing.

5 giulia April 16, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Genet’s story is so touching. I recently watched the Girl Rising documentary and got to speak to the executive producer in a videoconference sort of thing. I’m sixteen and it hurt so much to know that so many girls younger than me had been through so much already.
Thank you so much for helping organizations like this happen, gabby!

6 Design Mom April 17, 2013 at 2:46 am

Oh Giulia, thank you for your comment. Obviously, I am far from 16, but I do have a 14 year old daughter, and I feel like you when I think of girls her age and how much they’ve had to deal with already. It’s painful.

I appreciate your supportive words!

7 Zoe - SlowMama April 16, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Love, love this scarf and the entire collaboration. Hits so close to home for me now.

8 Design Mom April 17, 2013 at 2:47 am

I’m so glad to know the project resonates with you, Zoe. I’m over the moon with how the whole thing turned out.

9 Michelle April 18, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Hi Gabby,

I just purchased my Genet scarf and can’t wait for it to arrive. I have been searching for the perfect black and white scarf for months, and this it! How wonderful that it is not only beautiful, but has meaning and purpose as well. I love your site and your family! I have been following you for about a year and learned so much. Thanks for broadening my horizons!

Love

Michelle

10 Design Mom April 18, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I hope you will love the scarf, Michelle! I was able to try it on at Alt Summit and I didn’t want to take it off. So stylish!

11 Elizabeth T. April 23, 2013 at 8:19 am

Mine just arrived yesterday. I am wearing it today! It is lovely but my favorite thing might be that it has a very faint scent of wood smoke – reminds me of my visit to Ethiopia!