Hair Mist

April 15, 2013

By Gabrielle. Image by Ciara Richardson via Style Me Pretty.

How many of you spritz your hair when applying your favorite perfume? I do, too! Or rather, I did. Apparently, the alcohol can dry out your hair or, even worse, cause flakes to form on your scalp. That is not a cute look on anyone!

But there’s still hope for those of us who love hearing “Gee, your hair smells terrific!” (Who remembers these ads?) Perfumers are starting to create scented mists specifically for tresses; is your favorite scent among the first few?

Would you purchase a scent just for your hair, or is that too frivolous for you?

{ 1 trackback }

Do we really need perfume for our hair? | Maven Files
May 1, 2013 at 1:01 pm

1 sarah April 15, 2013 at 9:30 am

I had something like this when I was in high school (sheesh, about 15 years ago now . . . ) It wasn’t expensive, and came in a warm (yellow bottle) and cool (blue) scent. Does anyone else remember this?? Your post reminded me of it and made me smile!

Apparently I am not alone: http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Health-Beauty/Does-Anyone-Remember/1000146653

Fun post! :)

2 Barchbo April 15, 2013 at 9:37 am

Yes, Sarah! It was by L’Oreal and they were designed to fight odor. They were AMAZING! It would completely neutralize the smell of cigarette smoke after a night of barhopping. One day, they disappeared from the shelves and I have never known why. They were genius!

I use body mists in my hair sometimes – very light and watery – in the summer when it’s hot.

3 Anne April 15, 2013 at 11:10 am

Hello Gabrielle,

here comes my totally off-topic comment, but anyway. I just wanted to tell you that the advertisement window on the right sidebar of your blog shows (at least in German) an ad saying (translation) “Better Than Craigslist – A Website Were You ´ll Immediately Find A Lover “. The picture shows a woman in a see-through negligé with no underwear. A mistake of your ad partner?
I love your blog and can´t wait for tomorrow ´s dose of Living with Kids.

All the best, A.

4 sarah April 15, 2013 at 11:26 am

I can’t say enough good things about these handmade-by-a-small-woman-owned-company hair glosses:

They are light oils that are healthy for hair. The scent is perceivable but not overpowering or cloying. I have the coconut vanilla tiare one and it is beautiful.

5 Alice April 15, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I admit I used to own Chanel Coco Mademoiselle’s hair perfume, but it’s a bit of a frivolous purchase isn’t it? I probably bought on a whim while bored in an airport waiting for a delayed flight!

6 Lena April 15, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Gabrielle, have you noticed the difference of wearing a perfume between the US and Europe? I grew up smelling all kind of scents everywhere and feel like nobody uses it in the US? Why is that?

7 Shelby April 15, 2013 at 5:38 pm

i work in a job that leaves my hair smelling not so fresh but sometimes i need to run errands, etc and don’t have time to wash my hair and blow dry it all the time. (not to mention, its bad for the tresses.) so i would LOVE to have hair perfume and would definitely purchase some. :)

8 Sarah at See. Eat. Repeat. April 15, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I have really sensitive skin, so spritzing on my hair has always been my way of using perfume without breaking out in a rash on my wrists or neck. I’m happy to see formulas for use directly in the hair–haven’t used any of these scents yet, but I’ll be more inclined to now.

9 Kristen E April 16, 2013 at 9:48 am

How interesting! I usually use a conditioner from LUSH that smells incredible, and the smell lingers. I often get comments on how good I smell! Of course, after losing both my jobs, I can’t really afford the fancy stuff anymore, so I’m back to my old standby, Nature’s Gate. I’d be interested in finding something cheap that makes my hair smell nice again!

10 jay June 30, 2014 at 6:08 pm

So which one of lush conditioner U talkin about that smells so nice?

11 KelliO April 16, 2013 at 11:27 am

Those old ads make the chuckle! I had no idea. I wish the ads were a bit more like them today, though. Less body and more coy looks.

12 Tasha April 16, 2013 at 7:38 pm

OMG I’m obsessed with good smelling hair! I am lately in love with the moroccan argan oil products from Organix…yummm! Funny I just received a box (drugstore.com) with body wash and cream as well…pretty close match to the hair scents. I DO also love a few spritzes of perfume at the ends of my hair sometimes (I also heard about the drying effects). The oils applied use only a small drop and it is refreshing and lasts all day. I rub into my scalp and ends of hair. While we’re on this topic, who else is a dual-use product user??? I use shampoo as body wash or mineral oil (hair) on my skin…love that! I’m also a big perfume mixer. Right now I blend Bvlgari Crystalline with Banana Republic’s W…it’s my signature!