Figgy’s Patterns

April 2, 2013

Figgy's Patterns Children's clothesFiggy's Patterns Children's clothesFiggy's Patterns Children's clothes

By Koseli. Images by Figgy Patterns.

I like to keep a sharp lookout for children’s clothing that’s both modern, simple and comfortable. When I was talking with a friend about favorite clothing sources, she suggested I sew my own, and pointed me to Figgy’s Patterns. I’m not a seamstress (at all!), but I’m really digging the simple shapes and contemporary cuts that the patterns offer. Makes me want to take a sewing class.

Have you ever sewn clothing for your children? Any favorite sources for excellent patterns? And the question I’m most curious about: Is there anyone out there that missed out on 4H classes, but picked up sewing later in life?

Figgy's Patterns Children's clothes

1 Annabel Vita April 2, 2013 at 7:30 am

I took up sewing about a year ago at age 26! I’ve learned through trial and error, supplemented with online tutorials and library books. I made my niece some adorable dungarees for Christmas! http://www.annabelvita.com/2012/12/12/dotty-whipstitch-overmost/ Children’s clothes are easy because they’re easier to fit than making clothes for yourself.

2 Jessica April 2, 2013 at 7:38 am

Figgy’s does have great patterns. Oliver + S is my absolute favorite for kids (and Liesel’s women’s line, Lisette, is my favorite source for myself!).

3 Lindsey April 2, 2013 at 7:38 am

I took sewing every summer as a kid a loved it. My mom has a sewing machine for me back in the States, but while we are abroad I’m thinking o getting the IKEA sewing machine! I love these patterns. :)

4 True Bias April 2, 2013 at 7:44 am

I am a sewing blogger and LOVE figgy patterns. And I think you could totally take up sewing now. There are tons of free sources on the web as well as lots of beginner classes out there. I say go for it.

5 Jenny Lynn April 2, 2013 at 7:44 am

My children are not little anymore. My youngest is 10 now. I only create shorts, pj’s, skirts and love blankets these days. When they were all little I would sew almost everything they would wear. For patterns I would just copy a favorite out fit, creating my own pattern.

6 Heather April 2, 2013 at 7:49 am

I learned how to sew when my first daughter was born. I give full credit to Liesl Gibson and her company Oliver + S for both designing appealing patterns and writing incredibly clear instructions. Both gave me the courage to try! It’s not economical to sew dresses for my little girls, but it is extremely satisfying. And now my little girl is five, and eager to help me. We have been able to sew lots of gifts for birthday parties and new babies being born. I took one weekend class, but am mostly self-taught. The internet is full of lots of helpful tutorials and advice!

7 Joya April 2, 2013 at 8:10 am

Yes! I’ve been sewing ever since I received my first Bernina sewing machine in high school. I didn’t see much clothing though, until I had children. Now it is my way to have my children (all boys) wear a style that is more difficult to find. Or less expensive than the options out there. I love these patterns. There are not as many for boys so I sometimes make my own.
And then sewing clothes for gifts is also very rewarding. Here is a skirt I made for my niece (a Burda pattern)

Joya

8 Cornelia Cone April 2, 2013 at 8:23 am

In my opinion, Oliver+S (http://oliverands.com) is pretty much the gold standard in terms of patterns. The pattern instructions are detailed, the end result is always a very well-made garment and you can gage what you are in for based on the difficulty ranking (the more scissors, the more complicated the pattern). The look tends to be more classic but you can easily make them more edgy with your choice of fabric. I never sew as a kid but my mom is a wonderful seamstress. When I moved out of the house I found myself wanting to make things I couldn’t find or afford. Now I love sewing! You can certainly teach yourself but I think it works best to get together with a group of girls who already sew and make a simple project with them. The ‘Lazy Days Skirt’ or the ‘Popover Sundress’ are great beginner projects with lots of straight line sewing and the patterns are available for free – http://oliverands.com/free-patterns/

9 Suzanne April 2, 2013 at 9:23 am

These do look super cute and make me want to dust off the sewing machine! I’m wondering if others know of go-to sites (similar to Oliver+S or Figgy’s) for patterns for adult clothing?

10 Katie April 2, 2013 at 10:08 am

I add to the Oliver + S. Great patterns! Love sewing for my girls!

11 Dixie Fentriss April 2, 2013 at 10:42 am

I love sewing clothes for children and I also tend to work with simple, classic styles. However, I have to say, I think these particular patterns (other than the romper) are much too mature for the age! Especially the last image. If you scroll down to show just her body you would think the head would belong to a twenty something year old. And what 7 year old needs a waist slimming design like the second image?

12 Darci April 2, 2013 at 8:18 pm

The second dress and the last dress are the same pattern. I have this one and I love it , it’s so cute. Not too difficult to make and my kids love the pockets. this dress can have so many looks depending on fabric choices.

13 Andrea April 2, 2013 at 9:50 pm

The last one is a knee length, long sleeve, high neck dress. I’m definitely not getting how this is inappropriate. And that little girl is a cutie. It’s super cute! Love the pockets.

14 Susan Lee April 2, 2013 at 10:51 am

Love that the pattern designer also teaches sewing to kids. My mom taught both her girls to sew at an early age, and we’ve been sewing ever since. I’m now inspired to teach my own 8 year old daughter and her friends this summer. Love the patterns !!

15 Becca Lloyd April 2, 2013 at 11:10 am

I also love the Oliver+S. Another dreamy pattern source is Citronille Patterns. It is a French company, but has a few choice patterns in English.

16 Design Mom April 2, 2013 at 11:29 am

Another vote for Oliver+S! I first learned about them way back in 2008 – here’s the post – and it’s been wonderful to watch them grow and thrive.

And I’m so glad to know about Figgys, too!

17 Rachel April 2, 2013 at 11:31 am

IN LOVE with these clothes.

18 Joya April 2, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I was going to ask- does anyone know of any French patterns? Or I’ve heard Japanese patterns are wonderful, although I would need an English translation. I did buy a vintage (reworked) pattern from a Norwegian seamstress off Etsy that turned out great.
-joya

19 lyann April 2, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I love Citronille french patterns. http://citronille.fr
Japanese patterns are great, no translation needed. The patterns are pretty basic and there are loads of pictures to go by.
Hope this helps.
Lyann

20 Joya April 3, 2013 at 11:08 am

Thanks!

21 lyann April 2, 2013 at 12:45 pm

My favorite sewing pattern for my little one! I highly recommend these patterns for beginners. If you are stuck Figgy blog has the answer!
I’ve been sewing for little one for years now, it’s much better than sewing for me. It’s easy to fit a 7 year old than trying to figure out the natural waist line for a women size.

22 Tulisa April 2, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I love the last pic the cut and pattern is awesome, thanks for a great idea for my daughters next outfit. Now all I need to do is find some fabric with a similar pattern and earthly colors. Awesome!

23 Cornelia April 2, 2013 at 1:52 pm

This is another source for patterns. Someone asked about patterns for adults. Rae has a pattern for the Washi Dress, which looks really cute. Oliver+S also has adult patterns – http://oliverands.com/SFNT.html

24 shelly April 2, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Thank you so much for posting about the pattern line! It is such a fun job being able to create & dress kids in fashion forward fun garments. As Susan Lee mentioned above I also teach children how to sew and they have had a lot of influence in my next line. I also agree that Oliver & S is great line to use, very reliable and great for beginners too.

We have a free pattern the site right now for anyone that would like to try a simple circle skirt: http://figgyspatterns.com/patterns/flutter-skirt-e-pattern/

Victory Patterns is a great sewing line for adults and of course classic Collette!
This is one of my favorite patterns right now for the girls in my sewing class:http://gotopatterns.com/products/go-to-signature-dress-for-girls-pdf-pattern/

Thanks for all the comments too!! Couldn’t do this without your love & support.

25 Andrera April 21, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Thanks for the link, Shelly!

26 Fiona April 2, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Yes you can pick up sewing later in life. My mother has always been an excellent seamstress, and makes many of her clothes. It was absolutely a part of our childhood, waiting for the Burda pattern magazine to come out, paging through and choosing outfits for her to make and doing homework to the sound of the sewing machine. So this Christmas I finally got my own machine, at 35, it was prompted by the desire to put together a really simple Halloween costume for my 6 yr old and being frustrated by the time consuming nature of hand sewing. Once I had the machine I figured I had to buy a pattern and actually try to learn something new. My mother was always a perfectionist in h technique, so using all he tips I ordered the Oliver + s boys pyjama (I think I read about them here, or maybe it was the inchmark blog, which then led me here….) they turned out great and I feel so happy when I see my son in them. The only thing I have been sad to discover is that it is not the cheapest option if you want the coolest patterns and fabrics ( but maybe I appreciate the cost of quality clothes more )

Also looking at all the comments as I want to find simple to sew ladies clothes.

27 Fiona April 2, 2013 at 3:01 pm

O e other fun thing – Figgy is my nickname, I’ll have to check out their patterns.

28 Dee April 2, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Yes, I started machine sewing as an adult. I bought a basic machine which included lessons. I sewed dresses, tops and pants for my kids but haven’t made anything in years. Another Oliver + S fan here. Those Figgy patterns are great!

29 Corina April 2, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I was taught by my mother as a pre teen, and have improved my skills by following patterns and making lots of mistakes!! We did do some basic dressmaking in high school but I already knew the basics by then. Finding out how to do things is so much easier now with the WWW you can get advice, tutorials and videos so easily. Start with cushions and work your way up! You might like to check out ElsieMarley and her sewing for kids weeks… there is one coming up very soon for spring/summer sewing. Check out the Flikr pool, Pintrest board and past years blog entries for inspiration. I have no doubt that you could whip up simple gathered skirts with elastic waists for your girls, very quickly.

30 heather April 3, 2013 at 8:25 am

I started sewing at 28. Love Ottobre!

31 Margo April 3, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Professionally I knock off & create patterns for children’s wear. I enjoy doing this for friends, family and whomever may ask . Love creating pieces for my cute grand-daughter and now creating pieces for her baby brother

32 Lauren April 4, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I taught myself to sew when I was 25 and now sewing is my full time job! I think it’s never too late to pick up a new skill and running my shop- http://www.lperkin.com- is like a dream come true!

33 mandi@herbanhomestead April 8, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I see others have already mentioned my favorite, Olive + S. But Figgy is another on the top of my list!
I didn’t start sewing until I was 27. My mom bought me a cheaper model for Christmas, and I taught myself by reading through the manual. It wasn’t until 5 years later that I used my first pattern! I had to really understand clothes making before I could use patterns- that’s just how it worked for me. Now, I love to sew. Making clothes, toys, quilts, curtains, what have you. It is one of my most favorite indoor activities! Don’t let being a grown up stop you! Get to sewing, girl!