Book of the Week: Little Owl Lost

April 8, 2013

Little Owl Lost by Chris Haughton

Images and text by Carter.

I’m a big fan of Chris Haughton’s Little Owl Lost. It’s understated, adorable, and deeply moving all at once. You know this story: tiny thing lost, needs to find its mama. But this book revives a sleepy plot with a charming cast of woodland creatures and language that settles right into your bones.

One of the most magical qualities of a picture book is the page turn, that moment of suspense that lets you control the pace of the story. The very first page turn ingeniously gives you a sort of animated effect, with a half page dividing the spread. It throws you right into the action — an adorable, wobbly owlet falling right out of the nest. And that’s where the simplistic hilarity begins.

Little Owl Lost by Chris Haughton Little Owl Lost by Chris Haughton

A well-intentioned squirrel offers his eager assistance, but owlet’s description of pointy ears and big eyes don’t quite find the right mommy. The colors are lush and deep — unusual for a picture book, but oh, so comforting. Much like the story itself.

P.S. – If you love this one, be sure to check out his more recent book, Oh No, George! Delightful doesn’t even begin to describe it!

{ 2 trackbacks }

Book of the Week: Little Owl Lost
April 8, 2013 at 10:41 am
Just Moms » Blog Archive » Book of the Week: Little Owl Lost
April 8, 2013 at 3:41 pm

1 Nicole @ blog.devereuxetfils.com April 8, 2013 at 7:23 am

Looks wonderful! My son loves “I Want My Hat Back,” by Jon Klassen,which has similar imagery. Seems this one might be added to his library. Thanks!

2 Bryony April 8, 2013 at 8:20 am

We actually just bought this book the other week when we visited the Tate Modern! My son loves it, and enjoys the refrain of, ‘Is that Owl’s mummy? No, it’s a bear!’ So funny to see that book up here just after discovering it ourselves. Thanks!

3 Carter Higgins April 8, 2013 at 10:02 am

Kismet!

4 Heather April 8, 2013 at 8:22 am

We got this one a long time ago & it is always in our rotation! I absolutely adore it (and the helpful squirrel!) . My children love to read it, too!

5 Jess April 8, 2013 at 8:40 am

This is a favourite! It’s also available in Irish Gaelic – can’t link because I’m on my phone, but a quick google should bring it up. It’s definitely on UK Amazon.

6 Carter Higgins April 8, 2013 at 10:03 am

Oh, that’s wonderful. How cool!

7 Dee Wilcox April 8, 2013 at 11:11 am

Oh, this looks adorable. Our Friday family night consists of dinner out and a trip to the local bookstore. We’ll have to look for this one for little M!

8 Connie April 8, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Gabrielle, I have a dear friend who writes THE BEST children’s books! They are so inspirational and teach kids great lessons in such a fun way! I would love to have you take a look at them and let me know what you think! If you are willing, how could I get one or two to you?

9 Carter Higgins April 9, 2013 at 9:57 am

Hi Connie! You can email me at carterhiggins@gmail.com if you want!

10 Esther from A Lovely State of Mind April 8, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I reviewed this book on my site not too long ago! (http://alovelystateofmind.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/lovely-childrens-book-little-owl-lost/)

it’s definitely a favorite around here, as is oh no, george!

11 Carter Higgins April 9, 2013 at 9:57 am

I love the illustrations on your blog header! Adorable.

12 Lena April 8, 2013 at 6:06 pm

This is adorable. My son is obsessed with owls and this book would make him so happy. Thank you!

13 aryn April 22, 2013 at 6:18 pm

We read this one all the time. Thank goodness, because my list of books to buy is getting a bit too long to keep up with your posts!

14 hassiba June 22, 2013 at 3:27 pm

hello,

I am a student in France I’m working on the album, I wanted the coordinates of Mr. chris haughton for me to contact him I need to interview him on his album a bit lost

15 Meadhbh C July 2, 2013 at 11:21 am

If you think the illustration in this book is good, you should check out Chris’ amazing fairtrade work, in which you can buy anything from your own Little Owl to a gorgeous rug for a bedroom or playroom. Also worth reviewing (if you haven’t already seen it!) is another Irish ‘Chris’ who is the author and illustrator of The Lonely Beast (;