A Few Things

April 19, 2013

Omaha Beach Normandy

By Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends! How are you? It’s been a big, full week at the Blair house. Lots of fun house guests, and not enough time to fit in all the work that needs to be done. That’s okay. There are some weeks when life wins out in the work-life balance game. : ) Thanks for your patience as I put together a late edition (it’s after 1:00 AM here) of Friday links.

Tomorrow, we’ll be touring some of the D-Day sites (that’s Omaha Beach pictured above), which is always humbling and emotional. Visits to these hallowed and history-soaked places leave me with big unsettling thoughts about war and peace and youth and government and destruction and rebuilding. No doubt, anyone watching the news headlines this week has also been filled with big unsettling thoughts. While we all struggle with these thoughts and emotions, here are a few things that might distract us in a happy or interesting way:

- I love updates on their little one.

- The rubber barber.

- Fantastic Soap Box Party.

- Love it or hate it? A little girl’s room in black and white.

- The little prince.

- When’s the last time you went camping?

- Yay! Merci launched an online shop. Thanks, Stephanie.

- Thoughts on U.S. Food Aid.

- All I want to do is host a garden party.

- Do you keep a gift stash?

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, and I hope we all get a fresh start next week. Let’s be kind. Let’s be safe. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — The visit to Omaha Beach pictured here was a couple of weeks ago. This time, I think we get to skip the parkas. Spring has suddenly arrived!

{ 1 trackback }

Just Moms » Blog Archive » A Few Things
April 20, 2013 at 11:40 am

1 Kelly @ IdealistMom.com April 19, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I just love the idea of a gift stash! What a fun way to think of others throughout the year instead of trying to ransack your brain right before a party to think of something they might like.

Thank you for the refreshing list of cool stuff to distract us from the craziness of the world right now.

2 stephanie kraus April 19, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I can’t get past the eraser head hair do’s — love them getting them for my kids.

3 Grace @ sense and simplicity April 19, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I figured life was busy for you, but I it was ridiculous how much I missed your posts during the day.

I loved your round-up – especially reading about the little girl who finally put food to her mouth.

4 TaraLee April 19, 2013 at 11:13 pm

The food aid reform article is great! I just returned from a university sponsored Habitat for Humanity trip to Ethiopia (I read about your visit!). I am an American mom of four studying International Relations at a university in the middle east (it’s a long story). Reform in US foreign aid is critical. I have inhaled all of the courses available about development and the historical problems with aid. Physically visiting an underdeveloped country like Ethiopia and seeing the real cultural and economic impacts of aid is a weighty experience. Thanks for raising awareness about this issue.

5 Jennifer F. - American Mom in Bordeaux April 19, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Love the idea of the gift closet! I’ve accidently started one when we have received duplicate gifts, or I change my mind about a gift, so I end up with an extra. But I love the part about kids picking things out from a stash – makes it a bit more personal in that way. Love the round-up this week – you’re right with the events of this week, this is a nice distraction – it’s so easy to get sucked into all the events and follow constantly – so I’m so happy for a little balance and reminder that life goes on!! Have a great weekend too!

6 Mama Never Fumbles April 19, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Jury’s out on the black and white bedroom. I like the concept but the dots are strange, and the drapes feel too dark and heavy (although with sleeping toddlers, can the drapes ever be too dark?)

My favorite part about the article was the toddler’s name: ARDEN! That was my girl’s name choice… for my third son. Sadly, I didn’t get my Arden.

7 This girl loves to talk April 20, 2013 at 2:03 am

Aid is so interesting. Just this week I was reading a book about an Australian woman who walked across the sahara desert. When in Mali her local guide said that NGO’s had ruined the country. He said NGO’s cant do hospitals, roads, schools usually (which is what they desperately need fixed) but they dig wells, and try to start up little grass roots companies/ideas. He said people that were traditionally Bedouin that moved around from pasture to well etc now all stayed near the newly dug wells and waited for NGO’s to employ them as CEO’s of small companies. Now he said no one worked, they are destroying the land by staying on one spot near the new wells, and seems more sickness goes around and everyone is poor.
I was surprised as I’m sure most of us have best intents in mind when trying to help other people. I’m sure well digging is such a benefit in many places, I just found the commentary interesting and that really there is no simple fix for many problems. But I’m sure the simple fix would be if people were just kinder and safer as you mentioned.

8 Lucy Mitchell April 20, 2013 at 3:04 am

Adore the little prince, love the gift stash and like the black and white room!

9 emily c April 20, 2013 at 1:57 pm

LOVE the black and white girls room, will use it for some inspiration (we have a 3 year old girl who will soon be sharing the room with her sibling, gender unknown).

10 Lindsay April 21, 2013 at 4:42 am

My mother has always had a gift stash, which has allowed her to take advantage of great bargains. It is nice to be prepared instead of rushing around or paying too much for a gift because you need something immediately.

I started a gift stash because everything is SOOOO expensive where I live. i bring back a few nice tings from the US when I visit so that i am prepared with a gift (be it for a friend or child). I love not having to run around last minute to try to find something, which can also be tricky with little kids in tow. It is a huge lifesaver for many reasons.

I also keep a little notebook with a list of what is in the closet in my purse. Then I know if I have an overabundance of a particular “type” of gift because you don’t want to be over run with too many things. It also makes it easy to flip though and decide on something rather than sorting through your gifts or to see while you are out and about if there is something to supplement a gift you already have to ‘complete’ it.