A Few Things

April 5, 2013

the stream down the street

Text and Image by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends! How are you? Are you ready for the weekend? We are in get-it-done, errand + prep mode today. My parents just arrived in town, and our son, Oscar, is getting baptized tomorrow. Exciting stuff! We’ve invited friends and neighbors to our home, and we want to use the little stream down the street for the baptism. But, it’s so darn cold and rainy and grey outside (snow is predicted today!) that the stream might not work. So we’ve been formulating a Plan B. I’ll be sure to let you know how it works out. In fact, chances are I’ll be sharing glimpses on Instagram, so feel free to follow along.

While I make a final to-do list for tomorrow, here are a few things I thought you might enjoy:

- I’m in love with this little video of a shoemaker in Brooklyn.

- Oh. This is the cutest, most dapper gentleman ever!

- Arrested Development documentary coming out soon. (Ben Blair and I have watched and rewatched every episode in the series. Are you a fan, too?)

- How and when do you talk about this stuff?

- A cozy oasis for a baby boy.

Domino Magazine is back.

- Lisette is working through the heartbreak of a stillborn birth by making teeny diaper and layette sets for hospitals. Inspiring.

- On Babble this week  — April is the perfect month to throw a B(Earth) Day Party. Here are 21 ideas.

- And a garden themed party with tons of cute details.

- What parents do for kids. Thanks, April.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

P.S. — Send me sunshine-y vibes, please. : )

{ 2 trackbacks }

A Few Things
April 5, 2013 at 5:42 pm
Just Moms » Blog Archive » A Few Things
April 5, 2013 at 6:01 pm

1 sarah April 5, 2013 at 11:35 am

i saw domino on the newstand and got all excited, but then thought, wait a minute, is this just compiled from back issues? i can’t tell. but i have a big pile of back issues and don’t want to buy it if i already have all the photos/stories buried in there somewhere! hmmm…

2 Lena April 5, 2013 at 11:14 pm

So true. I was pretty disappointed when I looked inside..

3 Kristina @ Sarcire April 5, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I cannot wait to see Arrested Development’s 4th season through Netflix! It should be coming out soon. Glad to know you’re a fan too :)

4 Grace@ Sense and Simplicity April 5, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Here’s hoping you have a gloriously sunshiney day with nice warm spring temps. What fun to have a family celebration – looking forward to hearing about it.

5 Elisabeth April 5, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I loved the shoe repair video- one of my best friend’s family owns a shoe repair shop and shoe store in our little rural town- it’s the only one within a several hour radius of us. I went in there for the first time this past weekend and got a tour of all of the machines and such- they were the exact same ones as in the video. My friend’s grandfather worked up until he passed away this past spring; he was probably about the same age as the man here and his name was also Frank :). I find little stores and shops like theses so interesting.

6 julie April 5, 2013 at 2:54 pm

What a beautiful response Lisette’s gifts are to a heartbreaking experience.

7 Jan April 5, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Thanks for the link to Lisettte’s story and Teeny Tears. As an angel mommy myself, I’ve been looking for an organization to get involved with and it looks perfect. Hope your weekend is sunny!

8 Shannon { A Mom's Year } April 5, 2013 at 4:02 pm

My son told me about Arrested Development’s new Netflix season–we can’t wait! Insanely funny show. “There’s always money in the banana stand.” :)

9 Alicia W. April 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Congrats Oscar! What a fun and exciting time for him…I hope the stream works out. That would make a great memory even more memorable! And I am glad that your parents are there…what a fun and special weekend!

10 Kirsten April 5, 2013 at 5:37 pm

We’re big fans of Arrested Development…enough to sign up for Netflix. :)

11 Meg April 5, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Sending some sunshine from Tucson, we have extra…hope it makes it there in time!

12 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay April 5, 2013 at 6:51 pm

To Dear Lisette,
Sending love and endless compassion to you and your beautiful family. We lost our Alexander at 25 weeks. He is as much a part of our family as the rest of us. He lives in us- making us touch and be touched by the world in profound ways.
Bless your baby boy.
Thank you for sharing your story.
Pamela

13 Lisette Wolter-McKinley April 6, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Hi Pamela-

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a sweet message on here for me. I too am sorry for your loss, but I feel honored to be able to get in contact with so many other women who have experienced similar losses.

Lisette

14 Alethea April 6, 2013 at 12:20 am

OMG I am totally backing the AD doc on Kickstarter — at the Never Nude level :) Can’t wait to see it!

15 Jess April 6, 2013 at 10:31 am

Congrats Oscar! (And the weekend of General Conference – what a fun tie in). My church practices infant baptism (which I love but), I am so jealous of fun baptism locations like this!

16 Stefanie April 6, 2013 at 10:46 am

Dear Gabrielle, I really love your blog and I’m following your family’s adventures for almost three years now. You actually moved to France when my husband and I moved to Los Angeles and now we are also back in France/Alsace again. Thank you for sharing all the beautiful things and information on your blog.

Have a wonderful celebration this weekend! And good luck with the weather!

17 Jess April 6, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Congrats Oscar! All my wishes for a sunny day. I love my church (and our tradition of infant baptism), but I am the teensiest bit jealous of all the baptisms spots I’ve seen LDS folks use. A river would be the greatest memory! But it’ll be special regardless :)

18 Mohamed Fawzi April 6, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Hi Gabrielle

Thank you for this site. Great various stuff.

I am amazed by the quality of the photos is that due to certain techniques camera type, or the web site?

Regards from Egypt

Mohamed

19 Christina April 7, 2013 at 10:13 am

Congrats, Congrats to Oscar! Hope your weekend was filled with warm weather and beautiful sunshine:)

20 Marti April 7, 2013 at 10:24 am

I live in Brooklyn and that shoemaker clip made me want to go into his shop and drag him to the beach. A friend is working on a project in Brooklyn and I fell in love with this woman.