Winter Blues & Distraction

March 1, 2013

By Koseli. Images by Chloe via Il Mondo di Ingrid.

I love wintertime. The soft snow, matching hats and mittens, crackling fires, and hot cocoa. But once we’ve thrown out the tinsel and sweetheart’s day is a memory, all I see before me is a long, hard, very cold stretch until the first Spring thaw. This gorgeous collection of images from Chloe’s Spring/Summer collection will just have to tie us over until warmer weather is really here.

Anyone else have the winter blues? Or have Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD? (Was there ever a more perfect acronym?) What do you do to stay happy and healthy during a long winter? We use a blue light, get as much fresh air as we possibly can, never miss a sunny day, make indoor play dates, watch good movies, and eat good food. :)

P.S. — If you’d like more information on seasonal affective disorder, I found this was a great resource.

1 Lauren March 1, 2013 at 8:18 am

This pictures have me not only longing for spring, but for a little girl to dress up :) Beautiful!

2 Koseli Cummings March 2, 2013 at 4:03 am

Aww. I know. These little girls are so adorable.

3 Shannon { A Mom's Year } March 1, 2013 at 8:54 am

Our winters are very long in Wisconsin, too, so we try to embrace the cold with a little homemade ice rink, sledding, and lots of good books and movies. Hot cocoa, too!

4 Koseli Cummings March 2, 2013 at 4:03 am

I’ve heard of Wisconsin winters, Shannon. Sounds like you do a great job of keeping them fun though.

5 R March 1, 2013 at 9:03 am

I live in AZ so we hold on to the “cold” as long as we can, and since the sun shines more days a year here then anywhere else in America, I would have to say I am really enjoying the season and I am not in any rush for it to warm up.

6 Koseli Cummings March 2, 2013 at 4:05 am

That makes sense! It’s a coveted season in AZ.

7 Erin March 4, 2013 at 1:13 pm

My sister lives in AZ and has a different form of SAD–she gets depressed every year around August because it’s so still SO hot and has been since May. Lucky for us, her version of SAD drives her and her kids to escape to play with us in California!

8 Rebecca Alexis March 1, 2013 at 9:08 am

Why is it that some children’s clothing lines have more beauty in it than the adult versions? this is lovely and yes it will do quite well to help tide me over until brighter days. I definitely have struggle in winter months and I wrote a bit about it here, calling the time “Blahuary” because it is a time of year that is hard to shake the “blahs” I guess the point of the post is to remember to be kinder to yourself during that time:

9 Koseli Cummings March 2, 2013 at 4:06 am

I loved this post, Rebecca. Also, I wish these clothes were in women’s sizes….

10 Linda March 1, 2013 at 9:41 am

I adore winter – truly my favourite season. Which is serendipitous since I live in the 2nd coldest capital in the world! My kids are similarly inclined, though my husband struggles a bit more with the cold weather. We stay happy by being outside at every possible opportunity – skiing, skating, snowshoeing, walks, sledding, etc. My daughter has a winter birthday and she is hoping for an outdoor winter picnic party next year! I did have a close friend, originally from warmer climes, who had to move from here because he got clinically depressed in winter. It wasn’t diagnosed as being SAD, but a very severe form of depression.
Hope those of you who don’t like the season have a joyful Spring (once it arrives which I hope isn’t too soon as there is plenty more skiing to be had :) )

11 Koseli Cummings March 2, 2013 at 4:06 am

I love your attitude, Linda!

12 jacqueline | the hourglass files March 1, 2013 at 10:06 am

I am definitely affected by the seasons. I’m struggling to get through till spring, so I really hope it comes early. Chicago in February zaps me of all my energy and motivation. I just need a little sun! Thanks for the pick me up Koseli!

13 Koseli Cummings March 2, 2013 at 4:07 am

Thanks for commenting, Jacqueline! Ditto to all that. I just need a little sun, too, and I’m fine.

14 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag March 1, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I have it. It’s really hard for me to get through winter. I was fine until about mid-January and then BAM. I feel lately though, that I’m nearing the finish line of winter; I know that (hopefully) the worst is past! I do have a light box, which kind of helps. But you know what really helps? WINTER BEING OVER. :)

15 Koseli Cummings March 2, 2013 at 4:05 am

Oh I know! It’s so hard. I feel like I’m just dragging. And you’re so right—every year winter comes and goes, but for some reason that is so hard for me to remember at the tail end of it. Thanks Melissa!

16 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag March 1, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Also, these pictures are just heavenly!

17 julia [life on churchill] March 1, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Yes! Winters are so long in Minnesota. I have less energy (and less creativity) in winter. Fresh air, open all the blinds to let sunlight in and lots of playdates..great list!

18 Koseli Cummings March 2, 2013 at 4:04 am

Same! I also eat a little more. Mostly, I’m like a bear. Best of luck to you guys! We’re on our way to Spring….

19 Kate March 2, 2013 at 9:55 am

I LOVE that baby dress! I clicked on the link but it didn’t work. What is this website?

20 Mandy Toombs March 2, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Moving into an office this past year with no natural light has confirmed just how important and live giving daylight is. I need it to feel real! I have really loved the winter and getting out with the children on long snowy walks… but having one day of sunshine today has been a new level of happy I’d almost forgotten! Very ready for spring now!

21 Karen P. March 5, 2013 at 7:54 am

I love all the seasons and my birthday is in February so I love the month. I find the weeks right after the time change in the fall the most difficult since it gets dark so early. But, with daylight savings one week away, I’m not sad at all! I can’t wait to lose an hour of sleep. Bring on the sun. :-)