Vintage Posters

March 1, 2013

By Gabrielle.

Oh man. Sites like this get my imagination going. Free, downloadable, vintage posters! My instinct is to have the posters printed at Kinkos or Staples for party favors and as wrapping paper. Or to cover the walls of my teenagers’ bedrooms. But alas, from what I can tell, the downloadable files are too small to print as posters — they’re better suited for online work, or maybe a small project like a birthday invitation.

If you’re interested in real live big-enough-to-print artwork, you might like a post I wrote in 2009 about Vintage Printable. It’s a similar concept but offers different sorts of artwork — and the files are truly high resolution. Yay for options!

Do you know of any other sources like this? Please share!

{ 1 trackback }

Vintage Posters
March 1, 2013 at 12:34 pm

1 Sherri March 1, 2013 at 7:52 am

I love these – just put a bunch of retro ski and “American Boy” posters up in my boys’ room. Sent one as a gift to people who have a ski condo we use often too.

2 March 1, 2013 at 8:39 am

hey from germany! i really love your site and this one is one of the best link tip ever! but can you please (<3) send me the direct link from the bayern-berchtesgarden picture? the second one? i cannot find it! thanks a lot and many kisses from koblenz.

3 Design Mom March 1, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Hi lü!

If you go to the sports section and scroll down, you’ll find it. Here’s the direct link:

4 Rebecca Alexis March 1, 2013 at 9:18 am

pretty awesome. I like your idea as giving them out as party favors etc. but boo they are too small. I will have to check out your old post about vintage print-ables. xxoo

5 Nike March 1, 2013 at 10:17 am

Did you ever come across http://grainedit.com/ ? It’s fantastic!
Kisses from Germany
Nike

6 Kate Frishman March 1, 2013 at 10:57 am

This images are fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

7 Chrysta March 1, 2013 at 12:37 pm

My husband is in the Army and we lived in Garmisch-Partenkirchen for a couple of years. Had to download that one!!!

8 Tara Yelman March 1, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Very retro americano styling, I love it!

9 Tina from A Few Pretty Things March 1, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Thank you so much for today’s links!

10 Dre'a March 3, 2013 at 10:06 am

Love the Brookfield Zoo Picture! I have been there so many times as a child! Do you have one of the Lincoln Park Zoo?

11 March 5, 2013 at 11:42 pm

thanks a lot! send you sunshine! love lü.

12 Samantha March 15, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Thank you for the link! I just went there and it was odd – the first poster I downloaded (an all-text “save food” poster from 1919 which was featured on the front page as “popular”) is 31.1MB – certainly large enough to print full size. The next one I tried (the “Arizona” one that you have above, which is just fantastic) is only 190k. I wonder why? I thought you and your readers would like to know that some are larger than others. Maybe if enough of us download “Arizona”, they will feature a larger file! :) In case it isn’t obvious to everyone, you have to click on the link below the image of the poster to download the zipped file with a larger copy than the one you see on the website (in other words, don’t just right-click on the image and save, or drag it to your desktop). Then you will need to unzip/decompress the file you downloaded to get the image file. The download link is black, not blue, and not underlined, so the usual visual clue that it is a link is not there, though they do explain about the link on the right side of the page.

Your site is gorgeous – I can’t wait to read more of your posts!

13 Florida adventures March 22, 2013 at 8:51 am

Right here is the perfect site for anyone who hopes to find out about this topic. You understand a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want to…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic which has been discussed for decades. Great stuff, just great!|