Tiny Treasure: Best Dental Floss Ever

March 25, 2013

Best Dental Floss via Design Mom

By Koseli. Image via Kate the Great.

Let’s get down to the nitty gritty. Bad dental floss is the worst — it breaks, frays, cuts, and leaves us remembering why flossing is such an annoyance in the first place. (Especially if you’re pregnant or have irritated gums already!)

But good floss? Soft, thick but slick, minty fresh, strong. It gets the job done. And it definitely falls into the Tiny Treasure category. Here’s my absolute favorite dental floss: Crest Glide. What’s yours?

Do you wax poetic about your favorite dental floss, or another favorite hygiene product? (Bet you never thought we’d talk about dental floss on Design Mom. :))

1 Rebecca Alexis March 25, 2013 at 8:46 am

Oh! I so love that you are! yes to awesome dental floss. I need the thicker kind as well. It feels so good at night when you have scrubbed out those tiny crevices in your mouth.
My favorite hygiene product right now is “yes to blueberries” facial scrub. so lovely. i probably over use it, but it just feels so good in the evening to scrub away the pollution and the exhaustion of the day. I have super dry sensitive skin so i love that it has never given me trouble! xo

2 Koseli Cummings March 25, 2013 at 9:05 am

Thanks Rebecca! Hooray for passion for the small things!

3 d March 25, 2013 at 9:27 am

How fun that you talk about dental floss! I agree – Crest Glide is my favorite! But it’s fantastic for another very important mission: playing with the cat! I wrap it around my finger (so important to know she never can get hold of it and swallow it) and drag a very long piece around – she goes bananas chasing it and playing hide and seek with it, etc. All those expensive cat toys are a total waste compared to how much she always loves the dental floss game!

BTW, I absolutely love your website and have been following a long time.

4 Matilda March 25, 2013 at 9:41 am

I love Oral B Ultra Floss! I buy it in bulk online because it can sometimes be hard to find in drugstores. I like how it doesn’t slide around on my fingers when it’s wet.

5 Jennifer March 25, 2013 at 9:42 am

This is so funny! I tell my husband about once a week how much I love my dental floss. I recently switched to Tom’s brand and it is somewhat thick and has some texture to it, so I feel it really scrapes off all the plaque in between my teeth. My teeth always feel soooo clean after using it. It has definitely made me floss more :-)

6 Carter Higgins March 25, 2013 at 9:47 am

You said WAX POETIC! Love, love love. And I’m a Crest Glide gal, too.

7 Stella March 25, 2013 at 10:09 am

I never knew that different brands of floss could be so… well, different. I’ve always used whatever I get free at the dentist. Then last week I ran out of the dentist freebies, so I bought the cheapest kind I could find at Walmart. BIG mistake!!! That cheap stuff cuts my gums and makes me bleed like no other! I couldn’t believe what a difference it makes. This is one case where going cheap is just not the same :-/

8 B March 25, 2013 at 10:18 am

Tom’s floss is the best, give it a shot!

9 Lauren March 25, 2013 at 11:01 am

Reach waxed mint. Good floss makes the whole day better :)

10 Andrea P. March 25, 2013 at 12:24 pm

GUM expanding floss is our favorite! It expands to really clean between your teeth. We buy it online because it’s hard to find.

11 Kate W. March 25, 2013 at 1:15 pm

had to comment because absolutely nothing makes my teeth happier than crest glide, and i am a cheapskate who has tried every cheaper brand. totally worth it!

12 Deborah March 25, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I love Reach Total Care. I got an advance sample from my dental hygienist/sister and have been hooked ever since. It’s a bit wider, and gets a good grip on things between your teeth. I love that it comes in a 90 yard package, because I floss a lot! :)

13 Jackie H March 25, 2013 at 1:37 pm

We are loving Dr. Tung’s Smart floss over here! If you want thick floss that is squishy and sproingy, that get ALL the food out, this is it! :) Even huggy is loving it these days. :)

14 Jackie H March 25, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Oops, I meant ‘hubby’, though I do hug him a lot. LOL!

15 Christine March 25, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I also use Glide, but I’m interested in a fatter/thicker version that still slides as easily. I’m going to try a few of these other suggestions. I think floss is a perfect topic. Anytime!

16 kelly March 25, 2013 at 2:49 pm

This is so funny that you’re posting about this, because ever since I switched to Reach Total Care I have been telling everyone and anyone about it! Absolute game changer! :)

17 Geevz March 25, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I feel the exact same way! Crest glide is the only way to go. Oral B satin care is a decent stand in though. I love that someone else loves little every day products as passionately as I do.

18 Madhavi March 25, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I used to use Tom’s of Maine and loved it but oh… there was something more awesome out there and it Dr. Tung’s Smart Floss. It is super!

19 Rachel March 25, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Flossing really is the best :) I am all about Reach Total Care! I’m a dental hygienist and I recommend it to all my patients. No offense, but Glide is my least favorite because it is so smooth, it does “glide” right over the plaque and doesn’t do as well of a job with getting that sticky, smelly plaque off the teeth and away from the gums.

20 Tala March 25, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Reach clean paste is amazing. I feel that waxy ones are too, well, waxy and don’t get the job done.

21 Candi Kidd March 27, 2013 at 11:49 am

Yeah!! My favorite topic. I’m a dental hygienist and I’m a total dental snob ;) I’m a super nerdy hygienist (I read dental journals almost daily). My favorite floss is Dr. Tungs Smart Floss. It is awesome, the only stuff I use. It is a little thicker but I always show my patients the “flossing trick” to assure floss does not shred or get stuck. If you want any information on dental products I’d love to contribute to your blog. I’ve been asked to contribute to a few other blogs about dental stuff.

Here is an article I wrote for a blog for 2000 moms to have Fresh. Kissable. Breath

22 carrie November 4, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Candii Kidd-Whats the “flossing trick” so floss doesn’t shred or get stuck?

23 jo March 28, 2013 at 10:49 pm

crest glide is the only floss i’ve tried that doesn’t make me hate floss! i’m so glad you agree!

24 Mandy June 7, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I’m with Tala on that one.

25 vinyl polysiloxane June 22, 2013 at 1:34 am

Using a dental floss is very very useful. This helps you remove all the small particles which remain stuck to the areas even after brushing. Getting the plague removed from a dentist is not my cup of tea so i avoid it. I use dental floss sticks and I am quite satisfied with those. But I would definitely try the ones mentioned by you. But please do let me know if some other product is more beneficial. :) Thank you..:)

26 Sheena M. March 6, 2014 at 3:56 am

Hi! I am looking for a new dental floss since I am not comfortable anymore with my previous one. I would like to know what is the best? I have sensitive gums and it bleed so easy. I was under treatment. I am considering some brands to try out and make reviews about it.