Mill Valley Cabins

March 20, 2013

Mill Valley Cabin Mill Valley Cabin Mill Valley Cabin

By Koseli. Images by Joe Fletcher.

I saw these cabins at This is Paper and found them absolutely stunning. The owners of the original cabin wanted to add a second building to the property to function as a yoga studio and guest house. So Feldman Architecture built an additional cabin and designed it to fit between existing trees.

The top cabin is slightly higher than first cabin, so a rooftop garden was added to the lower building to help it blend into the hillside, and also create additional space for the owner’s love of gardening. You can see more photos here.

Isn’t this property striking? It makes me want to create my own little pocket of paradise. When you searched out your current residence, how important was the outdoor space to you?

{ 4 trackbacks }

Mill Valley Cabins
March 20, 2013 at 4:41 pm
Just Moms » Blog Archive » Mill Valley Cabins
March 20, 2013 at 4:43 pm
Happy Weekend! | Snippet & Ink
March 22, 2013 at 6:31 am
10 Great Design Blogs Written By Moms | Urban Gardens
May 12, 2013 at 1:39 pm

1 julie March 20, 2013 at 10:39 am

Stunning!

2 Adina | Gluten Free Travelette March 20, 2013 at 11:56 am

And now you’re making me miss Northern California. If I ever move back, Marin County is at the top of my list. I love all the succulents and that roof top garden.

3 Koseli Cummings March 21, 2013 at 7:59 am

Thanks Adina. That rooftop garden is incredible.

4 Jenny March 20, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I love Mill Valley! Their library has an outdoor reading room in the redwoods. So incredible.

I bought my house because of the yard. I knew before we looked at the interior I had to live there and spend my summers in that yard. I’m a sucker for outdoor living spaces.

5 Koseli Cummings March 21, 2013 at 8:00 am

Oh wow, Jenny. That sounds amazing. I dream of having an outdoor space one day.

6 annie-k March 20, 2013 at 3:28 pm

If you squint you could almost miss the cabins. They’ve weathered beautifully into the landscape. Beautiful architecture and well chosen materials. Will go straight on to Pinterest! ;-)

7 Amy Hackworth March 20, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I’ll go ahead and move right in, thanks. Gorgeous!

8 TM March 21, 2013 at 5:27 am

That’s a very beautiful cabin matched with a very beautiful garden! If only I have a house like that. Anyway, great post, and it really inspired me to get off this chair and work on my lawn.

9 Koseli Cummings March 21, 2013 at 8:00 am

So glad, TM. Fresh air is good for the soul.

10 Christi March 21, 2013 at 6:46 am

We have so many friends in Mill Valley! Outdoor space was our biggest priority when moving to Switzerland…that and not sharing any walls with neighbors! We agreed to our current home just by walking up the hiking path that leads by it and looking in the back garden. We lived in large apartments in Dubai and Rio and even though the space inside was there, -I could never do it again!

11 Joy | Frock Files March 21, 2013 at 7:48 am

Wow, if only all cabins were this beautiful. I’d love to live there! We live in a condo with the tiniest balcony, so I crave this kind of outdoor space. It’s definitely something we’ll be looking for in our next home.

12 Koseli Cummings March 21, 2013 at 8:01 am

Me too, Joy!

13 Sandra March 21, 2013 at 9:23 am

I so need outdoor space no matter what the size of my home.

We spent 10 years in Toronto and had a cottage about 2 hours NE of the city. It’s part of that “cottage” culture that is all over the east coast. No matter the size of your pocketbook, there is something for everyone.

No matter where I ever live or what type of home I own, that cottage will be what I miss the most. It was rustic and simple and stylish and we lived in our flip flops and bathing suits all summer long.

Early morning kayaks in the mist, afternoon water skiing and wakeboarding, lots of swimming. Lovely…

14 Design Mom March 21, 2013 at 9:31 am

I have family in the Bay area and they often tell me about the wonders of Mill Valley as a temptation to move there. Now I can see what they mean. These cabins are dreamy!

15 mary March 21, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Hehe, very beautiful and very Milly Valley. :) We live about 45 min away from there – it’s just a stunning area.