Hair Chalk

March 27, 2013

By Gabrielle. Images from Aloha Hair Designs on Etsy.

How many minutes has it been since your daughter or son asked for purple hair? Probably one minute after you nixed blue, right?

I’m not sure anyone under twenty understands how long it takes for a spur-of-the-moment hair decision to grow out, do you? From pixie cuts to super short bangs and a platinum punk stage you wish everyone would forget, we’ve all been there and don’t want our kids to endure the same pain! Hot pink sounds awesome today, but what about next week?

The solution? Hair chalk. Colors as vibrant as you want to go today, and supposedly washable when you find yourself ready for another shade. Have you tried it yet?

P.S. — My own parents were actually really laidback about our hair experiments. Unusual piercings and tattoos were definitely not allowed, but because it wasn’t permanent, hair stuff didn’t get us in trouble. What was it like at your house?

{ 1 trackback }

Friday Favorites…..three two nine | Homemade Ocean
March 29, 2013 at 5:01 am

1 Shannon { A Mom's Year } March 27, 2013 at 6:50 am

When I was growing up, it was all about perms. And then giant bangs. Yikes. So I was delighted when my older daughter asked for blue tips. She and her friends all tinted their ends, and they looked like a school (pod?) of mermaids. :)

The hair chalk colors look great…really vibrant. I’ll definitely check those out.

2 Kipin March 27, 2013 at 6:57 am

I have had literally every color hair. My hot pink bob got some strange looks in sacrament meeting, but I don’t regret it. I think teens have a need for change and experimentation, and hair is the perfect way to do it. Plus, now that I’m a big girl (24) with a big girl job, I can’t make those drastic changes, so I’m glad I got it out of my system.

3 Christina @ Homemade Ocean March 27, 2013 at 7:02 am

Oh my gosh, that looks awesome! I want to try it hahah

4 Katie Baker March 27, 2013 at 7:08 am

That looks like so much fun to try! I’ve never really done anything crazy with my hair. It’s always been long and blonde. I’m not sure if that’s traditional or boring!

5 Kelly Crawford March 27, 2013 at 7:25 am

My parents were the same way about hair. Growing up in so cal I did the horrible sun in and highlights etc. My mom never said a word. When I asked her about it later she said that every child needs a little rebellion and she thought our hair was the safest one ha!

6 Christa the BabbyMama March 27, 2013 at 7:26 am

My mom was crazy strict about hair, which I didn’t get since it was something that grows out and grows back. I don’t want to be similarly strict, but I love the hair chalk idea for changing colors every day :)

7 geri justinger March 27, 2013 at 7:30 am

I grew up LDS and my parents were not overly supportive of hair experimentations – but I did them anyway…colors, shaved head, CRAZY cuts.
As an adult I still gravitate towards the edgy but coloring is not an option for me SO I did try a DIY version of hair chalk – using artist pastels (NOT oil pastels) http://www.mrkate.com/2012/07/08/diy-colorful-pastel-chalk-hair-tips-tutorial/. I have salt and pepper hair – worked very well. A nice pop of color – completely temporary. I instagrammed it (user gajettes) – in case you wanna’ check it out.

8 Danielle March 27, 2013 at 7:31 am

According to my 3-year-old, regular chalk works just fine for coloring his hair (and face!). When I was young, I idolized Cyndi Lauper—her half shaved head of bright orange hair. I came *this* close to shaving mine in 4th grade, but my mother caught me. She did, however, let me dye my hair orange, with a spray hair tint. It lasted a couple weeks. Can’t remember the brand… wonder if they still exist?

9 Blair Kawa March 27, 2013 at 7:41 am

It’s kind of annoying that this shop is “on vacation” right at the time of this post… =/ I wanted to buy some of this for my very young and hair obsessed sister! Thanks for the tip!

10 Sharon @ Discovering Blog March 27, 2013 at 12:08 pm

You can get them at Urban Outfitters for $14!

I’ve been eyeing them for a while…

11 Blair Kawa March 27, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Thanks! Good eye!

12 BON VOYAGE March 27, 2013 at 8:01 am

OMG. I’m GOING TO use this CHALK for MYSELF!!! Yes. I’m going to go crazy with color and surprise my kids with the color change…. and they will get a BIG kick out knowing it is NOT permanent…
Thank you for this brillaint source of FUN!!! Can’t wait to get started use the hair chalk:O)

13 Lyndsay March 27, 2013 at 8:44 am

I use these frequently in my own hair – they work really well on lighter hair tones. You can buy chalk pastels for super cheap at craft stores, I bought mine at michaels a few years back. They are fun for holidays, parties, or when I want to really grab the attention of my middle school students with something a little different! Beware, they can really dry out your ends, so not for daily use ;)

14 Lisette Wolter-McKinley March 27, 2013 at 9:07 am

Hair chalk what a great idea!

15 Andrea March 27, 2013 at 9:34 am

Speaking from experience, hot pink was awesome. I had it for 2 years, and I still sometimes miss it.

16 hyzen March 27, 2013 at 10:15 am

I’m guessing these don’t work so well on dark hair, right? My young daughter would love something like this, but with dark brown hair I think it might be a lost cause.

17 geri justinger March 27, 2013 at 12:32 pm

hyzen
see my post above – works great on dark hair ;)
geri

18 Ilene March 27, 2013 at 11:18 am

What a coincidence! I just bought hair chalk yesterday for my daughter’s Easter basket. She has already experimented with coloring strips of hair with her highlighter pen which work on her blond hair and she also used Koolaid. Chalk looks like it is much brighter and easier to use. I am sure she will have bright pink strips come Sunday afternoon!

19 Cerise March 27, 2013 at 11:47 am

I would love to give this a try. I dyed my hair purple in high school…it turned a almost gray color…took forever to fade/grow out.

20 Rachel March 27, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Hair chalk?? Oh man – I’ve got to try this immediately!

21 Blair Kawa March 27, 2013 at 1:45 pm

OH! And I forgot to mention…. I dyed my hair with food coloring when I was a kid. It was actually quite beautiful…. until I went swimming and it all ran down my face. It looked liked I was bleeding from my scalp. lol.

22 Rue du chat qui peche March 27, 2013 at 2:12 pm

This so great! It looks much neater and easier to take off than any hair colour spays I’ve come accross. I’ll have to try that…

23 KelliO March 27, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I recall my brother and friends dying their bodies green for a St. Patrick’s day in high school. They used food coloring, which turned out to be effective on skin but hard to wash. I think he lost a few layers of skin getting it off. I think my mom was a little nervous, but it turned out harmless and a fun memory!

24 amy March 27, 2013 at 6:42 pm

i’m in the process of letting my dark curly hair go grey. I’ve been dyeing it for eons, and I’ve decided that its time to step away from the bottle. I have short hair, but I’ll still be at it for a while.
I would totally go for this once I’m totally grey….there are parts of my head that are totally white! might be fun to turn them pink or turqoise for a short time

25 Aimee | Greeblemonkey March 28, 2013 at 12:19 am

LOVEEE the hair chalk. I must try it in my hair sometime.

26 Kelly March 28, 2013 at 8:29 am

I’m planning on chalking my hair for my wedding in May!!!!

27 Nicole July 11, 2013 at 5:55 am