Book of the Week: This Moose Belongs to Me

March 12, 2013

This Moose Belongs To Me by Oliver Jeffers

By Carter.

I love that this little corner of the internet is like our local watering hole, where we swap stories and favorite things. But sometimes I love that you can’t hear me. Because if you had heard the shrieks and squeals that I let loose when I read Gabrielle’s interview with Oliver Jeffers, you might think twice about our friendship.

I adore Oliver Jeffers. He captures wonder and wit with a sharp imagination and spills it all out into his books. This Moose Belongs to Me starts like this: “Wilfred owned a moose. He hadn’t always owned a moose. The moose just came to him a while ago and he knew, just KNEW that it was meant to be his.”

This Moose Belongs To Me by Oliver Jeffers This Moose Belongs To Me by Oliver Jeffers

Wilfred names him Marcel, and the two listen to records, pick apples, and gallivant over the countryside together. But when a teeny old lady thinks that she owns the moose – well, havok and hijinks take over the pages. And aren’t those pages beautiful? I love the sweeping landscapes, the spare and graphic characters, and the hand drawn type.

P.S. – Do you live in Brooklyn? If you are as crazy about Oliver Jeffers as I am, go check out this exhibit!

1 Kendra March 12, 2013 at 7:59 am

We gave This Moose Belongs to Me to my niece for Christmas. My kids read it many times before I could get it wrapped up and shipped!

2 Carter Higgins March 12, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Ha! They have good taste!

3 Maria Baker March 12, 2013 at 8:02 am

We checked this out from the library a couple weeks ago. The girls loved it and I loved reading it. Win win!

4 Lisette Wolter-McKinley March 12, 2013 at 11:05 am

The illustrations are as charming as the words.

5 Carter Higgins March 12, 2013 at 7:29 pm

6 Pam G March 12, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I really appreciate your “books of the week” as I LOVE finding new storybooks for my family as each story & set of illustrations helps open up even more worlds for the kids to discover. Sometimes I feel that I’m creating my legacy for the kids in picturebooks. We’ve just come home from the bookshop with Katie Viggers’ new counting book ’1 to 20 Animals a Plenty.’ Her ‘Almost an Animal Alphabet’ is gorgeous and this newest one is hilarious. From one book lover to another, I highly recommend. Also, Katie has a blog of books she likes and I’ve discovered some treasures there, too…now we’re going to need some more shelves!

7 Carter Higgins March 12, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Thank you, Pam! That is so lovely to hear. And I’v never seen Katie Viggers’ work. I’ll check it out. I could use some new shelves, too!

8 Rose H. March 12, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Thank you for another great read. I’ve ordered a few of your featured finds and love each one so much, as do my daughters. This one is next!

9 Cassie March 12, 2013 at 7:41 pm

We stumbled across this book at our local bookstore and ending up purchasing it for our boys. When we got home, we realized that the painting using in the book (“Majestic Tetons” by Alex Dzicurski) was the same painting we had hanging in our living room–that we had purchased at a Salvation Army several years ago. Pretty crazy! We’ve absolutely fallen in love with this story. Love the illustrations!

10 Emily March 16, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I just discovered this book last month and have been meaning to email Design Mom to suggest it as a Book of the Week!!! So happy to see it here!

11 Essie March 18, 2013 at 12:06 pm

We love this book! Oliver Jeffers is our fave.