A Late Winter Walk

March 14, 2013

winter walk11

Text and photos by Gabrielle.

On Sunday, a few of us decided to take a late winter walk as the sun was setting. We walked down the road to see how high the water was in the little creek, and say hello to the sheep that live across the way. We also wanted to scout out signs of spring.

And I remembered to bring the camera! (Instagram has me out of the habit of carrying my DSLR.) So I thought I’d share a few photos from our walk with you.

winter walk08 winter walk09 winter walk10

I can’t believe how much I enjoy seeing the little lambs…

winter walk12 winter walk16 winter walk13 winter walk14 winter walk15

Here is the cast of our little walk:

Olive, Oscar, Betty, June, Ben Blair, and me.

winter walk03 winterwalk_21 winter walk04 winter walk05 winter walk06 winter walk07

Here is the side of the La Cressonnière barns as we headed back to the house.

winter walk02 winter walk17

And look, Oscar found a sign of spring!

winter walk01 winter walk18

It’s fun to imagine how different the landscape — especially the trees — will look in just a few short weeks. Hurry, spring!

How about your part of the world? Has spring arrived? Is the landscape changing? Did you bid farewell to winter weeks ago? (Or maybe you’re heading into fall now…)

P.S. — Winter decided to have one last hurrah. On Monday night, it started snowing, and didn’t stop! The roads were so bad, the kids couldn’t go to school on Tuesday, or Wednesday, or even today. We had better luck driving this afternoon, so they’ll be back in school tomorrow.

{ 1 trackback }

Just Moms » Blog Archive » A Late Winter Walk
March 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm

1 giulia March 14, 2013 at 11:42 am

walks in the late afternoon, when the light is magical, are the most beautiful things in the world.
here in barcelona, the weather was horrible until a few weeks ago and then we had the nicest warm and sunny three days. it was so good i forced my friend to come study for our finals at the beach!!!
(today it rained, and it’s cold again)

2 Design Mom March 14, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Warm enough for studying on the beach sounds lovely!

3 Cheltz March 14, 2013 at 12:20 pm

This is looking pretty Springy to me. We still have patches of snow and brown grass. But it didn’t stop us from going on a Sunday walk.

4 Design Mom March 14, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I know what you mean. It continues to amaze me how green Normandy remains even in the dead of winter. It can be below freezing, but the countryside is still covered in green. I’m going to miss it!

5 Summer March 14, 2013 at 12:30 pm

In Texas, the flowers are all blooming!

6 Design Mom March 14, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Bluebells, I presume? : )

7 Carolyn Coleman March 14, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Bluebonnets

8 Gia March 14, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Still snow on the ground in Alaska.. Summer in a month or two… :) the green grass looks so nice in your pics!

9 Design Mom March 14, 2013 at 2:03 pm

What is the season change like in Alaska? Long winter, short spring, than summer? Or do you sort of skip spring?

10 {plum} March 14, 2013 at 12:53 pm

the barn stonework is to. die! It’s just gorgeous.

Speaking of gorgeous, the portraitsare my favorite. While the ENTIRE Blair family is a beautiful bunch {and I’ve a crush on Oscar!}, your Olive has a beauty that eclipses the ages.

what a blessing you all share.
best ~
d.

11 Design Mom March 14, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I agree. Olive is a beauty for sure.

12 Francine March 14, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Lovely!
I too love seeing little lambs. In fact last weekend, we went to a farm near my home in Southern England to see the newborn lambs (!!).
And of course I blogged about it… bit.ly/16v7BKc
:) The grey winter is almost over!
ps. Loved your Ireland pics.

13 Design Mom March 14, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Oh! Newborn lambs!! I’m sure that nothing says springtime like a newborn lamb.

14 Mary-My Life in Scotland March 14, 2013 at 1:23 pm

We got hit with snow here in Scotland. It just piled on up! But, it melted today. Which I am glad of. I’m so ready fro spring. But our spring doesn’t come until May. We still have quite awhile to go.

15 Design Mom March 14, 2013 at 1:59 pm

We had a big melt today, too! It’s not totally gone, but the rodes are drive-able. It’s the most snow I’ve seen here in the last two years.

16 tere March 14, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Here fall is slowly coming, and we are collecting seeds from the last summer flowers. I love how seasons change around the world! It’s a nice idea to have a last summer walk, I might steal it ;^) and with the real camera!

17 Design Mom March 14, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Lately, anytime I’m writing about the seasons, I feel so aware of friends in the Southern Hemisphere. I think it’s something to do with Instagram and seeing friends on the beach.

Enjoy your end of summer!

18 Donna March 14, 2013 at 3:02 pm

What kind of camera do you use? And is there a DSLR you recommend for beginners?

19 Abbey March 14, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Such a delightful series, and love that second to last shot. We have some brave daffodils coming up in our Massachusetts yard, but also remnants of a snowbank, so…. :)

It’ll get here. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

20 Lisette Wolter-McKinley March 14, 2013 at 4:50 pm

There is nothing better than a snow day as a child!

21 Dale Coykendall March 14, 2013 at 5:55 pm

What beautiful shots, the green grass makes me happy. We had another snow today but I picked a branch of pussy willows and spied 1 (one!) snowdrop at the end of the drive. So ready to get back out to the garden. The kids are always adorable and so hip and beautifully decked out!
Happy Spring !

22 Valerie March 14, 2013 at 6:43 pm

My sister and niece have been in France this week as part of a school trip and are FREEZING (thin Arizona blood). I have told them to enjoy to cold as the first heat wave of the year has hit and today’s high was 91 degrees .. way too soon for that! Hoping we see a good 10 to 15 degree drop next week.

23 Heidi March 14, 2013 at 7:42 pm

How will you ever leave this place?

24 LinMari March 14, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Oh Gabrielle! That last photo in particular made me think of the wordless picture book “Our House on the Hill” by Philippe Dupasquier. My four boys and I loved this book. Your pictures look like the illustrations come to life. Have you ever seen it?

25 Jirayu March 15, 2013 at 12:07 am

Beautiful walk…

26 Mandy Byron March 15, 2013 at 12:54 am

I thought Spring was coming this week here in Germany, but we were hit hard with snow as well. Anxious to get get out and plant in my greenhouse! I have seen some forsythia blooming. So ready for spring!

27 Lauren March 15, 2013 at 6:59 am

I keep expecting spring and the pear trees are about to burst into bloom, but it is still dipping into the 20s at night and that makes for some very cold (but sunny!) mornings.

28 Sandi March 15, 2013 at 8:53 am

Off-topic for spring walks, but I love the background-focus and foreground-focus pics of the sheep! I’ve been playing with that technique all winter here in Maine – fun to see someone much more talented doing the same thing! :D

29 Lisa | Happy By March 16, 2013 at 10:13 am

Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures Gabrielle! They gave me a fresh and romantic breeze :) For the last week, it has been pouring rain like crazy, really nonstop in Albania (SE Europe) where I live. Spring knocked our doors briefly before that and the first blooms like mimosas and almond trees flowers appeared. Today was cold and sunny and we’re looking forward to what’s coming next (I get a feeling the weather is going to get crazy varying again this year).
Have a warm snow free weekend!

30 Jennifer March 21, 2013 at 2:56 pm

This area reminds me soo much of my town. We live in a small town in the Willamette valley in Oregon called Harrisburg. We have fields just as you pictured above, many sheep farms, and barns with creeks, and rivers to boot. Right now our weather is rainy, and stays that way keeping the valley very lush till about mid May. I am craving the sunshine though, cant wait for it to arrive!

31 Imagine Childhood April 4, 2013 at 10:49 am

What a fun and beautiful adventure! We would love to feature this in our Monday Nature Walk post!

xox
-i.c.

32 Helena October 23, 2013 at 7:24 am

Very very beautiful nature and the barn. Great!