A Few Things

March 29, 2013

Paper Easter Eggs Paper Easter Eggs

Images and text by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends! Was it a good a week? I hope so. I know some of you have you been celebrating Passover this week. And others are in the middle of Spring Break. And still others are making preparations for Easter this Sunday. Wherever you are and whatever you’re doing, I hope the weather is supporting you! Spring has been reluctnant to come to Normandy — grey skies and cold temps. In fact, snow was forecast for today. Blech. So we’ve made an alternate plan for our Easter Egg hunt.

Last year, I picked up these pretty paper eggs at Ikea. They came in six colors, which works out nicely for our six kids. Instead of an Easter Egg Hunt on the lawn, we’ll be filling these with Easter treats and trinkets, attaching a ribbon and gift tag with each child’s name, and hiding them in six different spots around the house. And the hunt will be to find the egg with their name on it.

Paper Easter Eggs

We’ve never tried this before, but I think (I hope!) it will be fun. Plus also: weather appropriate. How about you? How are your holiday plans shaping up?

While I think up six really good hiding places, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:

- Optical illusion in front of the Hotel de Ville in Paris.

- A store that only stocks items that give back.

- Once heckuva a 19 year old. (Also, I’d never heard of oceanic garbage patches before.)

- I made these last night. Heavenly!

Drones to replace the US Postal Service?

- Wow. A pink lagoon!

- Turn old speakers into high quality bluetooth speakers.

- Authors as teenagers.

- Has your internet been slow lately? The NYT explains why.

- I want to go to this egg decorating party.

- And make these bunny ear bags.

Happy Easter! Happy Passover! I hope you have a marvelous weekend. I know many of you are traveling over the next few days — I wish you clear roads and safe voyages. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — Fun fact: France has its Daylight Savings time change this weekend.

Paper Easter Eggs

{ 1 trackback }

Just Moms » Blog Archive » A Few Things
March 29, 2013 at 6:04 pm

1 Giulia March 29, 2013 at 8:30 am

I posted Jane’s party in my links today as well :) it’s really lovely. Have a great weekend!

2 Shannon { A Mom's Year } March 29, 2013 at 10:35 am

So many amazing links…as always! I especially liked the oceanic garbage patch story–I love sharing stories like that with my kids.

I’m so hoping I’ll love the chocolate-peanut butter eggs–that’s my favorite combination and I don’t want to give it up. Maybe now I won’t have to. :)

3 Lisette Wolter-McKinley March 29, 2013 at 10:45 am

My parents have done a similar thing with a pot of gold on St. Patrick’s Day.

4 Sisustus-Inredning.blogspot.fi March 29, 2013 at 10:50 am

Happy Easter from Finland!

5 Pamela March 29, 2013 at 12:23 pm

i love this idea! and it was 28 degrees here in paris this morning! ugh. the hotel de Ville is one of my favorite buildings. happy easter friends!!

6 Val March 29, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Growing up in a place where it was often cold and wet for Easter, this was exactly how my parents conducted our Easter Basket Hunt. We had 6 kids, and my mom was always trying to figure out fun places to hide the baskets, especially as we got older. I still remember finding one in the cold kitchen oven! Thanks for the fun reminder of my childhood. We may have to do this with our kids this year :)

7 julia [lifeonchurchill] March 29, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Happy Easter! I love the Ikea Easter eggs! We will likely have our egg hunt indoors too. Too cold, but looking to make the best of it!

8 Sara March 29, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Growing up near Seattle it was usually raining on Easter. My parents would hide chocolate eggs all over the house for us to find Easter morning!

Also, ocean garbage is a huge issue. When we were in Mozambique there was a line of small plastic crystals all along the shoreline and I think there’s a patch of garbage the size of Texas in the Pacific near Hawaii.

9 Jane Rhodes March 29, 2013 at 3:58 pm

I love those plastic IKEA eggs, wish I had some! thank you, thank you for the link!!! and, happy easter! xo.

10 bettijo @ PagingSupermom.com March 29, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I saw those paper eggs at IKEA on Wednesday here in the US! Happy Easter –bettijo

11 This girl loves to talk March 29, 2013 at 11:26 pm

we put some of those plastic eggs in the pool! and had fun swimming and catching them. We also did a hunt in the park with some new american friends who relocated to australia last week and were missing some easter things from home (the plastic eggs can be hard to find here and the mum had no luck finding some – I said I have them! and we had a lovely time!)

12 Dee March 30, 2013 at 5:21 am

Happy Easter, Gabrielle! We are spending Easter with my in-laws and today, my daughter and her friends have planned a neighborhood easter egg hunt. It looks like it will rain, but I am hoping the weather holds up!

13 Vyvyan March 30, 2013 at 12:39 pm

They look great! Very vibrant

14 Lena March 31, 2013 at 8:29 am

Happy Easter Gabrielle, now I have to make a trip to Ikea!:)

15 Giulia March 31, 2013 at 8:41 am

happy easter! i can’t believe how much fun it must be to go on an egg hunt in an old cottage… plus, you and ben blair can simply sit down and sip on tea while the kids run around the house for an hour, so make sure you hide them well!

16 Jess March 31, 2013 at 6:05 pm

This is such a great Easter story – http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/04/04/volker-kraft-easter-tree_n_1402296.html

The little painted scenes are incredible!

17 Tulisaa April 1, 2013 at 10:08 am

My kids would love this, coming to think of it so would I. I wish I could just put my hand through the screen and pinch one!

18 Maura April 2, 2013 at 6:41 am

Children’s book suggestion for you about oceanic garbage patches, from the Scientist in the Field Series (a wonderful series!) Tracking Trash: Flotsam, Jetsam, and the Science of Ocean Motion (Scientists in the Field Series) byLoree Griffin Burns.