A Few Things

March 1, 2013

Text and image by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends. Happy March! We are bundled up with hats, gloves and scarves, but we can see signs of spring everywhere we look. It’s almost here, I can feel it. And when I’m too cold to feel it, the calendar tells me so. : )

We are logging lots of miles in the car and exploring every bit of scenic Ireland we can fit in. It is killing us that we don’t have enough time to see all the wonderful things this corner of the earth has to offer. But we are sure trying! Today, we are attempting to visit the Cliffs of Moher. (You might know them as the Cliffs of Insanity from The Princess Bride.)

The day we started the roadtrip, Ben Blair burned a CD for the car with an Ireland playlist. U2. The Cranberries. Boomtown Rats. Sinead O’Conner. It’s fantastic! What would you put on an Ireland playlist?

While we make our way through the Irish countryside, here are a few things to keep you entertained:

Remind me of these when we’re working on the walls of our French cottage.

- Why we love beautiful things. Thanks, Katherine.

Transformer apartment.

I have a feeling this is going to become a how-to goldmine.

- I’m always interested in the story of the Downwinders. And this new trailer looks fascinating — I had no idea about the John Wayne connection.

Cactarium.

- Happy stairs.

- A cool new t-shirt subscription for kids — $5 from each tee purchase goes to a featured monthly charity. Cool idea and cool tees!

You already know how I feel about 3-D. And also the Eiffel Tower. So this caught my eye immediately.

Missed connections by state. Thanks, Koseli.

- Best aerial view of New York.

Have a wonderful weekend. And thank you again for the Ireland advice — so much good stuff in those comments! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — Feel free to tag along on our trip via Instagram.

{ 1 trackback }

Just Moms » Blog Archive » A Few Things
March 1, 2013 at 3:20 pm

1 Petra March 1, 2013 at 10:23 am

Very much enjoying your pictures on instagram, and following along wistfully. What a great idea the roadtrip CD is – you’ve got some goodies there , and I would add Hothouse Flowers to the playlist – one of my faves to listen to when I was in college.

2 Ines March 1, 2013 at 10:31 am

The Corss!!! The Pogues!! :)

3 April Louise March 1, 2013 at 10:38 am

The wall rollers are such a great idea… I wonder what else you could use them to decorate?

4 Kate Frishman March 1, 2013 at 10:44 am

Your trip sounds like so much fun! I would LOVE to see the Cliffs of Insanity. :)

I’m currently loving this CD by Mairead Nesbitt and Celtic Woman:

5 Trish March 1, 2013 at 11:31 am

James Vincent McMorrow . Beautiful and haunting music.

6 Andreina March 1, 2013 at 11:54 am

Que bonita la foto ;) Feliz fin de semana.

7 Shannon { A Mom's Year } March 1, 2013 at 11:55 am

Isn’t that in County Clare? That’s where my dad’s family is from…can’t wait to visit some day.

Love the playlist…I’d have to add a few songs from the Commitments’ soundtrack. Great to sing along to! Have a wonderful trip. :)

8 kalanicut March 1, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I totally understand the wistfulness about not getting to see it all while traveling. I always try to remember something Rick Steves says in one of his books. It’s something along the lines of never try to see everything or put pressure on yourself that you’re not doing it all. Always keep in your mind that you are saving some things for next time.

When I think in those terms, it gets me excited to continue to be a traveler and to never think this is the last time I’ll be in a place. Keeps me a dreamy traveler. :) Have a wonderful time!

9 Sophia March 1, 2013 at 12:12 pm

The Saw Doctors

10 Corinne March 1, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Totally have to listen to Sweet Sixteen by The Fureys. It’s corny and quintessentially Irish and gets me everytime! Have fun and may the road rise up to meet ye…

11 Kimberly March 1, 2013 at 1:39 pm

We took a week long driving tour of Ireland and listened to the soundtrack of the Broadway show Once. Fabulous! And the Cliffs of Moher were definitely a highlight!

12 michelle March 1, 2013 at 1:43 pm

hi gabrielle. Been following ur blog for few months now and love it. I live in wexford…where your ferry docked!! and im originaly from Cork!! how funny. so, just had to write you a quick idea list for visit spots. In Cork city, Crawford Art Gallery and make sure you see the english market and just outside the city Fota Wildlife Park which is great. If your coming back to wexford via dublin, then Wicklow is a beautiful stop. In wexford itself lots of great ,things to see, follow signposts for the Heritage Park, a recreation of our viking heritage, my kids love it. Check out visitwexford.ie and culturefox.ie for nationwide events. enjoy

13 Franziska March 1, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I think you should add Kíla to your playlist. They do a fantastic mix of Irish traditionals (language, uilleann pipes, bodhran) and lots of different styles of music – it’s full of energy and rhythm and there is a lot of “Irish feeling” in it, I think. Oh, I’m so jealous! I wish I could be in that country right now.
If you have time, have a look at Galway. It’s such a great town!

14 Franca Bollo March 1, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Van Morrison!

15 Melissa March 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm

VAN MORRISON!!!

16 Grace March 1, 2013 at 3:52 pm

THE DROPKICK MURPHYS. It doesn’t get much more rock-n-roll Irish than that. “Johnny I Hardly Knew Ya” is my fave. Also Flogging Molly, not sure if your family would listen to these bands but it’s worth a shot!

17 Miggy March 1, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I love the song Geraldine by Glasvegas. Thay’re actually Scottish, but its a great song. (Close enough!) Accents don’t always come through in rock songs, his does in this song and I love it.

18 Wendy March 1, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Cant’t go wrong with a bit of christy Moore or paddy Reilly on an Irish road trip. Of coarse all of Ireland is beautiful but you should try to get to Donegal; we have spectacular beaches and cliffs too. Why not visit Derry too, the Irish town to be voted UK’s first City of Culture :)

Enjoy your stay and I hope our recent good weather lasts for you :)

19 Gillian March 1, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Hey, I hope you’re having a good time in Ireland! I’m in Dublin and I have to say I’ve been feeling anxious since you arrived! I think we have a national insecurity that we might get a bad report. I think it was bred in to us as children to smile at people especially if they look as if they are visitors!
Now I’m worried about you driving to Dingle it really is a long drive, west cork, Kinsale, glandore, Skibereen and maybe a boat trip to an island is just a good.
I would add the sawdoctors to your soundtrack, not well known outside Ireland but whenever I’m driving through the countryside their lyrics ” stone walls and the grass green, travelling with just my hopes and dreams…” gets stuck in my head.
Maybe you should add a tour of Irish musicians houses while you’re here, Bono lives in Killiney on the south side of Dublin , lovely spot with great views, anyone in the area will point you towards his much graffitied gates. If you do go to Glendalough just nearby I can point you in direction of a recent Oscar winner who played an American president.
Also if you haven’t already then watch ‘Once’ after this trip.

20 Lisette Wolter-McKinley March 1, 2013 at 6:58 pm

The photos on Instagram have me packing my bags. Reminds me of part of Iceland when we went in the Fall.

21 Aoife March 1, 2013 at 8:14 pm

music? Don’t get your Irish readers started! If you’re still in County Clare get into Christy Moore, Sharon Shannon, Mary Black, Dolores Keane… the list is endless ;-)

22 Alice March 2, 2013 at 8:59 am

Love the transformer apartment and the how-to goldmine, thanks!

23 tawnya March 2, 2013 at 9:46 am

Glen Hansard! Either solo, The Swell Season or The Frames. That would be my ENTIRE soundtrack through Ireland!

24 Shannon { A Mom's Year } March 2, 2013 at 10:31 am

I love Glen Hansard! He does a fantastic cover of Justin Timberlake’s “Cry Me a River” on *Even Better Than the Real Thing* (collection of Irish artists doing acoustic covers for charity). Have you heard it?

25 Amanda March 2, 2013 at 12:22 pm

You must pick up one (or more) of Sharon Shannon’s CDs while you are there. We were introduced to it while staying at a B&B in Dingle, and it’s become some of our happiest music since. Just ask any of the local Irish. They’ll all be familiar with her music and can guide you on where to find it. She’s one of their local jewels.

26 Gillian March 2, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I love that you went to The Drombeg stone circle! Well done on finding it. Is the joke circle of mini rocks still there near the entrance? I laughed so hard at my kids expressions when I told them that was what we’d come to see.

27 Eleanor March 3, 2013 at 10:27 am

Love that Ben Blair included The Boomtown Rats – Bob Geldof is one of my heroes!

28 Heather @ Beyond the Aisle March 3, 2013 at 1:44 pm

When I studied abroad in Ireland, our teacher wouldn’t let us visit the Cliffs of Moher because he was afraid the wind would blow us off the cliffs!

29 robin March 3, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Give The Chieftains a try. They’re favorites of ours. Have a lovely trip!

30 Maike March 4, 2013 at 4:13 am

Irish Playlist:
First of all: great choice already, Sinéad O’Connor is all time fantastic.
Also: Glen Hansard, Damien Rice, Lisa Hannigan, Nina Hynes. So! Good! I am a Songwriter too and these guys always get my spirits up and make me a happier musician.
And: on your way back you should take a detour over Berlin, it is super sunny here these days. (It would be a big detour, I know. But it’s Berlin.)
We have family from Ireland over this weekend and they cannot believe the sunshine.
I whish you the best time anyway!

31 Dee March 4, 2013 at 8:23 pm

The Corrs! Best Irish band ever!

32 Larsen March 5, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Many great suggestions I’ll check out! To me soundtracks from the Commitments and The Snapper would be great to listen to. And when noone is around I sometimes listen to the Celtic Women but my family would through me of the Van if I brougt that!