Tina Fey

February 4, 2013

By Gabrielle. Image by Ruven Afanador.

Man oh man. That weekend was just what the doctor ordered.

On Friday night, I caught up on my favorite TV shows. On Saturday, I slept in for the first time in weeks — I didn’t wake up until 12:45PM. It was bliss. Bliss! (Sleep is my favorite.) Also on Saturday, instead of Groundhog Day, the French celebrate Chandeleur, which means Crepe Day. So naturally, we made crepes and ate them while we watched Groundhog Day.

But back to the TV shows, which is what I really want to talk about. Part of catching up meant watching the three most recent episodes of 30 Rock. And friends, somehow, I missed the memo that the show was ending! Such tears on my part!! It’s not really the kind of show that elicits sad emotions, but I was so broken-hearted to see the end.

I think it’s mostly because I’ll miss a guaranteed weekly dose of Tina Fey. I simply adore her and I wish her every good thing. I can’t wait to see what’s next for her!

Are you a 30 Rock fan? Were you sad to see it end? Any favorite quotes? I think mine is: Never go with a hippie to a second location.

1 becca February 4, 2013 at 7:22 am

Love the show. We watched it with our oldest via Netflix. Fun to watch with a tween/teen. Nice bonding time that was funny & witty with out being trashy!

2 Chris February 4, 2013 at 7:24 am

I agree! I love Tine Fey. Hope she finds a new project soon!

3 Lauren February 4, 2013 at 7:25 am

Favorite quote, hands down:

Liz: Why are you wearing a tux?

Jack: It’s after six. What am I, a farmer?

You’d be amazed how often we manage to work this into a conversation :)

4 Design Mom February 4, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Such a great quote! I’ll see if I can work it into conversation tonight.

5 Amber February 4, 2013 at 4:44 pm

We say that all the time too! Love it!

6 shelley Taylor February 4, 2013 at 7:28 am

Love Tina Fey and hope she has something else in the works. It feels like we’ve been watching 30Rock forever. I can never remember quotes, but the farmer one is a classic!

7 Shannon { A Mom's Year } February 4, 2013 at 7:33 am

What the what? :) Yes, Tina Fey is awesome. I love her book and how she’s best buds with Amy Poehler.

My favorite (family-friendly) quote is when Jack says, “Lemon, that’s the smartest thing you’ve ever said.” Lemon: “Ah, what about three years ago when I said there should be more TV shows about cake?”

Also, Jack: “I don’t sleep on planes. I don’t want to get incepted.”

8 Lisa Mackin February 4, 2013 at 7:34 am

I agree – 30 Rock was my go to show. Tina Fey is awesome – you must’ve read Bossy Pants, right? I recently listened to it on CD in my studio. With her narrating the text it’s priceless. I’m going to miss Alex Baldwin the most. I always enjoyed a visit from Nancy Donovan, Jack’s high school flame – played by Julianne Moore. She did some serious damage to the Boston accent but it was comical! Great show!

9 Lucy Mitchell February 4, 2013 at 7:34 am

I don’t always catch 30 Rock but enjoyed Bossypants so much I read it twice. It’s on a shelf now waiting for six months to pass and then I’ll pick it up again. Excellent writing and of course very, very funny.

10 Design Mom February 4, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Same! I’ve read it twice and won’t be surprised if I pick it up again. It’s so good!

11 Megan M. February 4, 2013 at 8:35 am

I love Tina Fey and I always enjoyed 30 Rock when I caught it but I didn’t watch it regularly. My husband’s cousin is an actor in New York and he was actually in the episode where Jenna is in a scary movie like “Saw” – he played the “dead body” on the floor. Hahahaha!

I just want her to host ALL the awards shows with Amy Poehler, forever and ever amen.

12 Design Mom February 4, 2013 at 2:12 pm

I’m right there with you. I was asleep when the Golden Globes aired, so I caught the highlights the next day and all I wanted was more, more, more Tina and Amy!

13 olivia clark February 4, 2013 at 8:43 am

My hubby and I missed the memo too and were so sad when we realized we were watching the end of one of our all time fav’s- I love anytime Jack says “Good God Lemon!” Especially the time when Liz grew Tom (her mustache) and Jack saw it. His delivery was priceless.

14 Megan February 4, 2013 at 8:52 am

Liz – “I want to go to there.”

Parks and Rec is ending too, bummer NBC.

15 Design Mom February 4, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Is that for real on Parks and Rec?

I’m going to start crying again.

16 Amy February 5, 2013 at 4:32 pm

What???!!! Parks and Rec is ending!!!! No!!!! It can’t be! I can’t take that and 30 Rock.

Another good show for this kind of humor is “Raising Hope.” I die laughing.

17 Swati February 4, 2013 at 8:59 am

Kenneth: Son of a married couple!
Also, he calls the peacock “Swamp Eagle”.

Jack: Don’t gloat Lemon. It makes you seem mannish.

And- to continue the same chain of thought….

Jack: Bravo, Lemon.
Liz: Jack, for a lady, that is Brava.
Jack: I know when to use Brava, Lemon.

Angie Jordan: My single “My Single is Dropping” is dropping.

Tracy Jordan: It is both a blessing, and a… purse.

18 Krysta February 4, 2013 at 9:04 am

I love 30 Rock and Tina Fey. I am sad to see it go. I watched the final episode this weekend in a rare moment of peace. It made me a bit sad as well.

19 Walker February 4, 2013 at 9:14 am

Oh, I know! I was so sad at the end of the episode…except that I couldn’t stop laughing at JMo singing the Rural Juror song! Thank goodness for Netflix and syndication!

20 Design Mom February 4, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I’m been singing it since Friday night.

21 Courtney Odle February 4, 2013 at 9:30 am

I hate to see a good thing end.. even when it is time. I miss the characters so much.. (remember when Book 7 of Harry Potter came out.. and I took my time to read it because I never wanted it to end? haha..dweeb). Liz Lemon is my personal hero.. my father-in-law sent my husband and I an email with a list of quote from Dr. Spaceman (Spa-chee-men. Lol, again). Oh, so funny!
Here is my favorite:
“30 Rock: Retreat to Move Forward (#3.9)” (2009)
Tracy Jordan: So how bad is diabetes, really?
Dr. Leo Spaceman: Quite serious. If left untreated you could lose a foot.
Tracy Jordan: Could I replace it with a wheel, like Rosie from the Jetsons?
Dr. Leo Spaceman: I suppose. But then you’d have to register as a motor vehicle

22 kelly February 4, 2013 at 9:48 am

i know. i KNOW:(

23 Sinika February 4, 2013 at 10:12 am

Love, love 30 Rock! Tina Fey is just perfect every episode. I love the fast paced humor!! Have you read her book yet?

24 Caroline Perrin February 4, 2013 at 10:28 am

Oh my goodness, reading all the comments made me laugh, remembering all those episodes. I loved loved loved Dr. Spaceman and that farmer line was great. I’d like to add one more — with Carrie Fisher as a crazy person and Jack telling Liz, “never go to a second location with a hippie”. Which brings me to Liz getting out of jury duty by impersonating Princess Leah. I haven’t watched it lately, but I feel like last season it sort of jumped the shark…it just wasn’t as funny, at least I didn’t think so. Don’t know if they’ve brought it back or not.

And, Parks and Rec is going off the air?! THAT makes me sad. Ron Swanson is awesome. How did I not know all this??

25 Kacy Faulconer February 4, 2013 at 10:47 am

Such a clever and perfect finale.

26 becca February 4, 2013 at 12:07 pm

love 30 Rock and will miss watching it. xxoo

27 becca February 4, 2013 at 12:09 pm

love, love! 30 rock. Sorry to see it go. It was a fun and accessible show for us to watch with our tween/teen.xxoo

28 katy gray February 4, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Oh, what a bummer!!!

One of my all time favorite lines from Jack –

“Those shoes are definitely bi-curious.”

29 G at willowday February 4, 2013 at 2:00 pm

YES! I can’t choose a favorite quote. She’s a comedic genius. I love the episode where she’s dating John Hamm — be brings up Disney’s Prince Eric being modeled after him & then… the tennis. How does she put this all together! I will cry with you!

30 Design Mom February 4, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Oh my goodness! The John Hamm episode!! Remember when he thinks he knows how to speak French? So brilliant I can’t even stand it.

31 Amber February 4, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I’m always saying “BLERG!” and “what the WHAT?” because of 30 Rock. Oh how I will miss this show!

32 Kathleen February 4, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I have the first four seasons on DVD and started watching them in order today while working on a knitting design (need something to watch/listen to while doing the knitting production work). There are so many gems! But the line that has become a classic in our family is “Shut it down.”

33 Bonnie @ the pin junkie February 4, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I love Tina Fey! Smart, funny, pretty, and talented! She’s got it all!

34 Cordelia February 4, 2013 at 8:08 pm

“I’m 37–please don’t make me go to Brooklyn.”

One of my all-time favorite shows that will live on forever in our house.

“Working on my night cheese…”

35 Amy February 5, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I use “I want to go there…” all the time. Most people look at me strangely. I’m pretty much ok with that.

36 christa February 5, 2013 at 7:54 pm

“Smooth moves Ferguson….” that always stuck with me for some reason. My husband and i say it all the time! Love it!

37 Shannon { A Mom's Year } February 13, 2013 at 9:22 am

I just read that Tina Fey and Paul Rudd (!) are in a movie together called “Admissions.” It comes out March 8, I believe. :)