The ABC of Architects

February 20, 2013

By Koseli.

Though I know little about architecture beyond Falling Water and the Guggenheim, I am a great appreciator of beautiful buildings. One of my favorite things to do in New York City is walk—simply to admire the beautiful buildings. This short film is a motion piece illustrating the most famous buildings and the architects who designed them from around the world.

Are you an architecture enthusiast? If you had to pick one favorite building in the entire world, what would it be?

{ 3 trackbacks }

Tablet Reading – links for February 20 « Table Reading
February 20, 2013 at 1:15 pm
lime link love // 07 - 74 Lime Lane | 74 Lime Lane
February 22, 2013 at 5:32 pm
A niin kuin Aalto | Lindan työpöytä
March 5, 2013 at 11:01 pm

1 Angel February 20, 2013 at 7:51 am

Really neat video. I just wish it went slower so you could read all the descriptions and look at the buildings longer.

2 Rebecca Alexis February 20, 2013 at 10:24 am

Neat. That is one thing about being such a visual person, almost every place I visit I could spend a week outside looking at the architecture and the landscape. Soaking up all the beauty outside. xo

3 meta February 20, 2013 at 11:34 am

Not really an enthusiast but I would probably pick La Sagrada Familia. Would love to see it finish within my life time :)

4 Design Mom February 20, 2013 at 1:49 pm

It was fun to recognize buildings as I watched the video.

Sagrada Familia is my favorite too!

5 Giulia February 20, 2013 at 2:19 pm

yes! i love architecture! i guess, being daughter of an architect, born in the new olympic part of barcelona, living in an architecture award winning building and going to an architecture award winning school, it couldn’t be otherwise:)
and Domènech’s Antoni Tàpies Museum is one of my favorites!

6 Genevieve February 20, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I love this question! The Guggenheim is my fave. However, Gae Aulenti’s conversion of the Gare d’Orsay will always maze me.

7 Jennifer Rodgers February 20, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I just shared this on my Facebook page for the high school where I teach art. I have lots of students interested in architecture and they will get a kick out of this.

8 Koseli Cummings February 21, 2013 at 11:18 am

Awesome, Jennifer! Hope they learn something.

9 Maria Baker February 21, 2013 at 6:37 am

While there are many buildings that I love (the bird nest bldg in Beijing, for example) the one building that was jaw droppingly (yep, made that word up) incredible was the Cologne Cathedral. We lived about 1 hour from Cologne for 2 years and I went many times. Every time I discovered something new. I love, love, love it.

10 Koseli Cummings February 21, 2013 at 11:19 am

Good architecture evokes emotion, I think. I would love to see the Cologne Cathedral in person one day, Maria.

11 mim February 22, 2013 at 9:35 am

love this video! i think the sydney opera house may be my favorite. i’ll have to visit it in person some day. but i also love calatrava’s addition to the milwaukee art museum–which i have visited many times.

12 Koseli Cummings February 22, 2013 at 9:43 am

Thanks Mim! :)

13 Lisa | Happy By February 23, 2013 at 9:33 am

I am an architect amongst other things and I found this video amusing. I’d prefer the buildings to stay in the screen for another second or two, so the ones who are not familiar with them can take a full look. Overall I can see this video be used in education, introducing children to famous architects and buildings :)