Olive Us: Episode 19: Cider Farm

February 13, 2013

By Gabrielle.

Here’s another fun episode from Olive Us! Take a visit to a Normandy Cider Farm with Ralph, Maude, Olive, Oscar, Betty & June. See how the apples are harvested and the juice is bottled, and get a glimpse of the beautiful countryside.

Fun fact: Normandy is the only region of France that doesn’t produce wine. Instead, apples and pears are so abundant here that ciders and juices are the local drink (and calvados, for those seeking something a bit harder). Apple tarts are also famous in this region. And they are hands down delicious.

We filmed this episode at La Galotiere, the most picturesque little farm you’ve ever seen. We buy their apple juice by the crate!

P.S. — Subscribe to Olive Us to be the first to know about new videos. In fact, a behind-the-scenes video about the Cider Farm will be posted later today. And hey, if the Cider Farm episode doesn’t show up for you here, try viewing it on Vimeo.

1 mom in mendon February 13, 2013 at 11:00 am

LOVE it, of course. I want to try that juice.

2 Lynn February 13, 2013 at 11:13 am

I adore these videos, especially seeing your children interact with one another. I would love to read a post about how you encourage loving relationships between your children on a daily basis. This is a big issue in our house right now – everything from fighting over who gets to brush their teeth first, to jealousy over who has the nicer bed/dress/drawing/you-name-it, to talking kindly to one another. Actually, I think I could use a series of posts ;)

3 Hayley February 13, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Me too, Lynn!

4 Rebecca Alexis February 13, 2013 at 11:16 am

So great. My middle is home sick today and I let him watch the video and see some of your Instagram shots of your garden. It seems he is no pining to go live in France. Not a surprise! What joie de vivre you and your family have! As for me, I am pining for a bit of quiet in my busy house of boys while we wait for spring, for Easter, for renewal and rebirth.

5 Rebecca Alexis February 13, 2013 at 11:17 am

I meant “now” pining to live in France, not “no”. Ohhh to correct and edit a bit better! sorry. xo

6 Design Mom February 13, 2013 at 11:43 am

I hope your son feels better! And I think quietly pining for spring, Easter, renewal and rebirth sounds wonderful. Maybe I’ll join you.

7 smee February 13, 2013 at 11:22 am

ok, ok, ok, I can’t take the suspense! Just how many trees are on the farm and just how many apples per year to they harvest! TELL!

8 Lori February 13, 2013 at 11:37 am

Agreed!

9 vermontmommy February 13, 2013 at 11:39 am

I was just going to ask the same questions. :)

10 Design Mom February 13, 2013 at 11:42 am

Oh my goodness, that’s hilarious! I actually have no idea. I’m sure they are closed for the evening, but I will call the orchard tomorrow and get some numbers. : )

11 Giulia February 13, 2013 at 11:37 am

so nice, i love the videos where they talk. all of them are so funny.
and, of course, i want to know, how many trees were there? really, i have to know!

12 Churchill February 13, 2013 at 11:46 am

Oh yes, I can’t wait to hear how many trees!!!
I love that each child is solid in their answer….and so wildly different : )

13 Jen James February 13, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Thanks again for another wonderful video. All three of my children adore them (ages 10, 10 and 14) and so do I. It’s great to see June contributing to the event and the script.
And, speaking for someone who’s currently looking out at the 2+ feet of snow melting in our yard and driveway–mucho gracias for the green grass, ripe trees, and beautiful farm footage.

14 sofija February 13, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I love Oscar’s precise count of the apples: 10 million, 1000…and 80!! And little June’s counting skills are quite charming, as well.
Do tell how you encourage cooperation and friendship in your family.

15 julia [life on churchill] February 13, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I loved it! The shaking tree part was so interesting! I’m about to show it to my kids, I know they will like it!

16 dawne February 13, 2013 at 2:40 pm

My favorite one so far!! It was so dear that I had to call my husband to watch it with me a second time. He found it as delightful as I did! Love your family, love your lifestyle, and yes! Love that Normand Apple juice!

17 Cak February 13, 2013 at 3:09 pm

18 Cak February 13, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I love your posts. Everyday i read you. And because you’re talking about “la galotiere” and because i lived for 2 month on ther little house i santés to share Thatcher it’s a wonderfull area. My girls are in the same school than yours and i’m looking for you everyday. And today i know that you will leave argentan on july. Sad not have to meet you before

19 Jackie February 13, 2013 at 5:08 pm

LOVE.

20 Jackie February 13, 2013 at 5:09 pm

love your posts!

21 Kacy Faulconer February 13, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Why aren’t your children wearing helmets? Some early-harvested apples can be quite hard.

22 Reb February 13, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Loved loved loved this episode. In fact, I think it might be my fav. Although, the last episode was pretty awesome too. Anyway, thanks for putting a smile on my face today!

23 Psychologist Sydney February 13, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I so love the video! They are all so hilarious! I am also excited and interested of how many trees! Nice pictures too!

24 Celeste L. February 13, 2013 at 7:08 pm

What a delightful episode! I’m forwarding it to my grandkids in Mississippi as I’m sure they’ll love watching the apple tree shake. Plus, I’m dying to see if they’ll notice the uncanny resemblance of my grandson, Thomas, to Oscar.

25 juliagblair February 13, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Just what I needed on this cold, wet, foggy day! It brought the sunshine and the
wonderful orchard and the beautiful children and the delicious apple cider into
my heart and changed a grey day into a joyful, happy, colorful, warm bright day!
Thanks millions!

26 Laurie February 13, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Love these videos! I have always dreamed of living abroad with our crew (7 kiddos) and watching your charming family in the beautiful country is a little was escape for me. Thank you :)

27 Katie February 13, 2013 at 9:13 pm

So? I want to know the number of trees and apples now!

28 Simone February 14, 2013 at 2:28 am

Oh, so nice. I love France. By coincidence, today I posted a photo shoot of my daughter in Paris with her “valentines” :). If you want to take a look , http://piquepega.wordpress.com/ . xx

29 Rebecca February 14, 2013 at 1:23 pm

These videos always make me so happy. I love the different kids’ takes on everything. My own daughter watched it with me and proudly told me how they make apple cider- “with apples and cider.” The perspective of children is amazing and yours are beautiful!

30 Jillian L February 14, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Alors, how many apple trees??? :)

31 Rebecca S. February 14, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Yes, how many trees? :)

32 Amy3 February 15, 2013 at 9:43 am

How fun! I loved hearing the kids speak (June’s counting: just adorable) and all the guesses about number of trees and apples were hilarious.

33 Grace February 15, 2013 at 12:06 pm

you have such a beautiful family!!

34 Alix February 15, 2013 at 1:55 pm

WOW! This one was totally one of my favorites! I know its not as arty/dreamy as some of the others (like my crazy fave, Betty in Paris!) but in many ways I loved this almost more because we get to hear your charming kiddos waxing poetic about the apple farm. The shaking of the apple tree?? THAT WAS AMAZING! I loved their expressions (i’ve never seen one either and can’t wait to show Wolfie!). Honestly, you never fail to amaze me with the creativity and adorable-ness of these films. BRAVA!!!! xoxo

35 Becky February 15, 2013 at 6:48 pm

This reminds me so much of the beautiful time I spent harvesting olives for olive oil! The whole community chipped in and we had some beautiful bonding moments. Beautifully grounding, connecting moments that are somewhat lost in our culture today. Blew my mind how much work goes into olive oil. How many cool tools. Greater respect for the beautiful product, indeed, Ralph.

36 kim February 17, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Your children have grown! Maude looks just like you, Gabby! I absolutely love this orchard adventure…their personalities shining through their recounts of the details. What a blessing to enjoy such a unique and educational experience — in a gorgeous countryside setting nonetheless.:) Cheers to fresh apple juice!

37 Emily McDowell February 18, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I love this! Ridiculously cute, and I learned so much about Normandy apple harvesting! My stepson (7) wants to know if you guys are friends with the people who own the apple farm. :)

38 Reyna February 19, 2013 at 11:16 am

I just love these videos. They make me so excited to me a mom and have adventures one day!

39 Rebekah May 24, 2013 at 10:19 am

“Ten million thousand. …. And eighty?”

So stinking cute!