Happy Birthday Grand Central

February 14, 2013

By Gabrielle. Images sourced by The Atlantic.

Did you hear that Grand Central Terminal is celebrating its 100th anniversary? The Atlantic put together an image gallery of that special place and scrolling through is making me nostalgic.

I think it’s my favorite building in New York. When I lived there, my commute to work was a 30-minute train ride that arrived in Grand Central. I don’t think I ever tired of seeing the hustle and bustle of rush hour there. All the New Yorkers in their black coats, often umbrellas or newspapers in hand, stopping for breakfast or to pick up flowers from the Shops at Grand Central, maybe even getting a shoe shine. And everyone in a hurry. Always. What a way to start the day!

I remember being very aware that every single morning, I was a part of an iconic scenario — something straight out of a movie. Have you ever been? Do you have a favorite building in New York?

P.S. — An Improv Everywhere light show at GCT.

{ 1 trackback }

Latest images Occupy Wall Street Protest · MyInfoBlogg.COM
February 18, 2013 at 11:13 pm

1 Lindsey February 14, 2013 at 7:11 am

I have only been to NYC once! When we first moved to Europe, I hadn’t been there *at all* and every customer in the bar I poured pints in in Dublin had a cousin or uncle in New York. They’d tell me like we were really about to connect on something and then I’d have to explain that I’m from the west coast…and blah, blah, blah. My husband and I dream of moving to New York someday. It’s a place you fall in love with instantly and to live there would be such an experience. After living in Zurich, it wouldn’t seem all that expensive, either! ;) Your commute sounds awesome. What an invigorating start to the day! xo

2 Design Mom February 14, 2013 at 1:25 pm

So true! After Zurich, every where will seem reasonable.

3 Elizabeth February 14, 2013 at 7:25 am

I moved to NYC in October My favorite building in NYC is also Grand Central! I love the history, the shopa, the constellation ceiling, the whisper wall and more So lovely

4 Maria C. February 14, 2013 at 8:00 am

Flat Iron building!

5 Design Mom February 14, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Such a good one! The whole neighborhood.

6 Shannon { A Mom's Year } February 14, 2013 at 8:05 am

There are so many amazing, iconic buildings in NYC, but what popped into my mind is The Cathedral of St. John the Divine. It’s a beautiful building, but also a literary landmark because Madeleine L’Engle was the Cathedral Librarian. She was my favorite author, so visiting the Cathedral she wrote about so lovingly was an incredible experience.

And the Plaza! Is the Palm Court still there? A friend and I had brunch there when we were in college, but didn’t ask the price ahead of time. Good thing she had a credit card!

7 Design Mom February 14, 2013 at 1:26 pm

When we lived there, we were able to attend a Christmas concert at St. John the Divine every holiday. It’s a treat to visit that building.

And I love your story about the Plaza!

8 Heidi February 14, 2013 at 8:43 am

I love Grand Central. And because of Madagascar my kids had it at the top of their must -see list. I have some funny photos of them being so excited to see the clock in the center.

9 Design Mom February 14, 2013 at 1:27 pm

What a treasure those images must be, Heidi!

10 Kim @ design + life + kids February 14, 2013 at 8:52 am

So many iconic spots in NYC and this is most definitely one of them. Happy Birthday Grand Central!

11 Design Mom February 14, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Iconic is right. The whole city. After I would arrive in GCT, my walk to work would include great views of the Chrysler building and passing the Waldorf Astoria. There’s something iconic around every corner of the city!

12 Margaret February 14, 2013 at 11:54 am

New York is my most favourite city I’ve never been to. I would love love love to visit and would be there in an instant if I had the chance (and money for a flight from London!)

13 Design Mom February 14, 2013 at 1:28 pm

“my most favourite city I’ve never been to”

I really like the way you put that!

14 Jen February 14, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I am a Canadian but NYC is my home away from home! So many good memories, got engaged in Central Park and then married a year later down at One Center Street with our two best friends as witness and photographer. It was an amazing experience taking pictures all over the city, down in the subway, Central Park and Grand Central at rush hour. We topped it all off with dinner at the River Cafe looking across the water at Manhattan. My heart fills with warmth and excitement whenever I think of that amazing city.

15 Hayley February 14, 2013 at 2:09 pm

GCT is my favorite, as well. Oooh, and the black and white cookies you can buy down below! Yum!!! (I know others hate the ones there, but they are the only ones I have tried and I just love them!)

16 Tasha February 14, 2013 at 5:55 pm

What a beautiful place! The transformation over the past decade is AMAZING!!! The downstairs area is now matching the main area and I love it! I recall taking the train to GCT from “upstate” and my son, them 5 or so, looking for Ninja Turtles as we entered underground lol! But having to visit the restroom in the old days was scary to say the least. Now the lower level is filled with hustle and bustle wrapped in a cool NYC calm if that makes sense. People awaiting their trains while sipping coffee, shopping or snapping pics. (Do we say snapping anymore?) It is a magical place and I never tire of it! I also always admire the amazing GWBridge view of the skyline as well. when driving in…I am so lucky to be about an hour away…I LOVE NYC ♥

17 Maryanne February 14, 2013 at 6:13 pm

I grew up in Brooklyn and went to HS on the upper east side. I love Grand Central Station too– some of my warmest feelings for NY architecture are for the Metropolitan Museum of Art (we used to walk over from school, pay a quarter and roam the halls and sometimes sketch), Grand Central (love looking up at the constellations– have always dreamed of going dancing there on New Years Eve) and the Brooklyn Bridge (many a walk or roller blade with my sisters).

18 Amy3 February 14, 2013 at 7:53 pm

You had the same commute I do! And coming into Grand Central is one of my chief delights. It’s my favorite building in the city.

19 pure garcinia cambogia March 23, 2013 at 8:32 am

Hello there, simply turned into aware of your blog through Google, and found that it is really informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate when you continue this in future. Lots of other people will be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!|