Doing What You Love

February 15, 2013

By Gabrielle. Paintings by Lee Bennion.

I think the happiest thing to arrive in my inbox this week, was a link to a 4 minute documentary about artist, Lee Bennion. It’s inspiring and totally worth watching!

In addition to painting, Lee is also the maker of fantastic skin salve. It’s called Mom’s Stuff and it’s the best! One little jar lasts for ages and the salve is so soothing. Lee is married to Joe Bennion, the talented potter we visited in this Olive Us episode. Take a look at the mini-doc:

Near the end of the video, Lee says something that I keep thinking about. Speaking of herself and her husband, she says something like: If we can make a living doing painting and pottery and making the salve and river guiding, those are all things we feel good about. We like doing them, and they bless and benefit other people’s lives.

Isn’t that a lovely way to think? I’m so impressed with the life they’ve built and how they choose to spend their time. What about you? Are you able to do work that you love right now?

{ 2 trackbacks }

Doing What You Love
February 15, 2013 at 12:40 pm
Potter’s Journal » Blog Archive » Design Mom blogs about Lee.
February 15, 2013 at 1:24 pm

1 Heidi February 15, 2013 at 8:58 am

I’m struggling with this concept right now. I feel very blessed to be able to be a sahm-and with 4 stretching from teens to preschoolers-I’m definitely “busy.” And I have friends to go to coffee with, and exercise time, and book clubs-but I don’t have any “passions” per se. There are things I enjoy-crafting, cooking and reading, but nothing that really grabs me. I’m definitely not a Type A-so maybe I just need to work on being content.

2 Lindsay February 15, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I too am struggling with this. I have an 8 month old and a job and a happy marriage, but I desperately want to feel more fulfilled with a career. I know that I’m not exactly old at 27, but sometimes I feel like it is too late for me to figure out what to do with my life.

3 Lauren February 15, 2013 at 9:00 am

Oh, wow, I love this! I feel so fortunate that I get to spend my days working with beautiful fabrics and leather and doing exactly what I love. Our family goal is to grow the business enough that my husband can work with me because if there’s one thing we love more than creating, it’s being together :)

4 Amy3 February 15, 2013 at 9:33 am

I was struck by that comment too, about doing what they love, feeling that it feeds their souls and blesses others, and that they still have time to play. I haven’t achieved this yet in my life, but I’m inspired by others that have and am heartened that it’s definitely possible. I continue to mull over how to make it a reality for me.

5 aubry. February 15, 2013 at 9:34 am

again… my bennion pride beamed bright when i saw this in my google reader feed. bennions are proud to be bennions…. and even more so when other people figure out how cool we are! :)

6 Ann February 15, 2013 at 9:45 am

Gorgeous! I love the music too in this documentary. I wish I could get motivated to do my art. I have no excuses.

7 mrs. dana gault February 15, 2013 at 9:45 am

I bought the salve on your recommendation, and I LOVE it! I have a collagen disorder, so I’m in constant search for dry skin treatments…and Lee’s salve is wonderful. From the packaging to the texture, rubbing it between my palms to soften the lovely, fragrant beeswax…it ticks all the boxes.
I’m an artist, too, and I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how my work can make others’ live better. I’m posting Lee’s quote over my work table!

8 Design Mom February 17, 2013 at 2:02 pm

So glad to hear it! Yay for Mom’s Stuff.

9 betsy February 15, 2013 at 9:46 am

What a beautiful video — full of inspiration and good advice. To do what you love, to do work that nourishes the soul and blesses others, and to still make time to play — perfect February reminders! Thank you! xo

10 Kendra February 15, 2013 at 9:53 am

I like what you said in your post about them doing work that they “feel good about.” I don’t love what I do everyday (some days I love it, others not so much – it is boring, or difficult, or tiring) but I do feel good about it – it feeds my soul and blesses others. I think that is an important distinction.

11 Kristy February 15, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I love all the things that are so young about her: her hands, her voice, her socks, even the way she sits on the ground. Delightful.

12 Drew Danburry February 16, 2013 at 10:33 am

love this. Great post, as always.

13 Jessica February 16, 2013 at 6:36 pm

yes! pilates and music – we have money stress but my work is the best!

14 kalanicut February 17, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I loved this. Filmmaker is a dear friend and I took at pottery class from Joe in college. I never became a great potter but was so happy to get to know Lee and Joe, visit Spring City, admire their life, etc. Watching this totally made me take time out (again) to think about how I use my time, if I’m being creative enough and to consider that there are times and seasons to our lives. We can’t have everything all the time, but we can make the most of each season in how we give it our attention, care and thoughtfulness — in how we create beauty in where we are at that moment. Thanks for reminding me to take a few minutes to watch this.

15 Steve Olpin / The Talking Fly February 17, 2013 at 10:42 pm

M.D.
thanks for the mention and nice words about the mini doc.
This is what i love doing and feel lucky to do it.
Lee is great too.
peace,
Steve TTF

16 Amy Hackworth February 18, 2013 at 8:16 am

I love Lee’s paintings–these are especially beautiful!!–and we’re also big fans of Mom’s Stuff! It saves our little boy’s hands in the dry winters. I love Lee’s quote and am so thankful for the reminder that doing our personal work matters. It’s important.