Book of the Week: Anatole

February 4, 2013

Anatole by by Eve Titus and Paul Galdone

By Carter.

I’m still on a bit of a Caldecott buzz, so how about one from 1946? Anatole, by Eve Titus and Paul Galdone, is the happiest mouse in all of France.

Anatole by Eve Titus and Paul Galdone
Anatole by Eve Titus and Paul Galdone

A mouse named Anatole, his partner-in-scavenging Gaston, a misunderstanding, a briefcase, and a whole lot of cheese. So charming, so much to love! Anatole and Gaston hunt the streets of Paris at night for food for their little families. On bicycles! (This reminds me of the Tour de France – I can’t imagine any other mode of transportation a tiny French mouse would use, can you?) When Anatole overhears the humans’ true feelings for mice, he is determined to regain his honor and give them something in return for their scraps.

And what’s the one thing Anatole is an expert on? Cheese. The Manufacture de Fromage Duval will never be the same again thanks to the delicious spirit of a delightful little mouse.

1 SarahBeth February 4, 2013 at 6:38 am

Great pick, Carter! I loved this as a child, and I can’t wait to introduce it to my little one.

2 becca February 4, 2013 at 7:24 am

so sweet! I LOVE children’s books. no kindle at our house for bedtime. I like lounging with the boys looking at the sweet pictures and turning the pages slowly. I will have to find this gem. xxoo

3 Courtney Odle February 4, 2013 at 9:32 am

Sounds like the perfect pick for our library trip today. thanks!

4 becca February 4, 2013 at 12:11 pm

love! Can’t wait to read.xxoo

5 Lindsey February 4, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I love this! I am positively swooning. And when I’m done, I’ll promptly order the book for our daughter. :) Thank you!! xo

6 Carter Higgins February 4, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Swooning over your swooning. You will love it!

7 CMN February 4, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Excellent choice! This one is a longtime family favorite for me and my siblings… And now we’re all doing our part to introduce Anatole to the next generation too! :)

8 Jen February 4, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I love this book! I found a copy at a thrift store for 75 cents. I’d never read it, but the illustrations were so cute I figured I could risk 75 cents. Now, I think it’s one of my favorite books!

9 Laura February 4, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I’m so thrilled to see this favorite childhood read here! I like to think that my love of this book was an early sign of my culinary interests… Though I’ve since realized that truly great cheeses are not made en masse in a factory!

10 Becky @ preparingforpeanut.com February 4, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Love this book! Beautiful illustrations!!! And mice…always make for great stories. I can’t believe we don’t have this one…I just shared some of the fabulous “vintage” books we’ve been reading lately, the ones my parents saved so thoughtfully.

11 Jessica February 4, 2013 at 7:28 pm

We stumbled upon this book on our Summer vacation and fell in love!!! It’s a favorite bedtime book.

12 Amy February 4, 2013 at 9:59 pm

A year or two ago we were on a kick where we’d choose a book from another culture, read it, eat something related (Anatole, of course, went with a fancy cheese plate) and sometimes watch a foreign film from the same culture, though that third part didn’t always work out with little kids. This post makes me want to revive that tradition!

13 Carter Higgins February 6, 2013 at 9:33 am

I love that idea!

14 Kelly February 5, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I bought Anatole from the library when they were getting rid of it, though I had never seen it before. What a lucky find. This has become one of our family favourites now!

15 Lexie February 7, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Dear Design Mom,

I just wanted to thank you for sharing this book! I just loved it. I went on and shared it with my husband (children’s librarian) and he quickly added it to his little library’s shelves. Thank you for sharing it with us (I’ve added it to our baby book collection for our future littles) and with the classes my husband has now shared it with.

It’s such a sweet treasure.