Alençon Lace

February 14, 2013

By Gabrielle. Image via Martha Stewart.

At Alt Summit, Darcy Miller handed out copies of the latest issue of Martha Stewart Weddings, and in an article about gorgeous wedding gowns, I noticed that one of them was made out Alencon Lace (slide #6).

The famous lace is made in the town of Alençon, which is about 30 minutes south of our home. Alençon also happens to be where our church is located, so we get to visit the charming village on Sundays.

The dress image looks so French to me. The grey stone work, the formal hedges, the styling of the hat — the dress made of French lace fits right in! I’d love to get a piece of Alençon lace for a souvenir. I’ve heard the real deal is very expensive, but even a little piece — enough to make a pillow or a collar — would be sweet.

P.S. — Alt Summit attendees raved about Darcy’s presentation on making events personal. Do you follow her work?

1 BON VOYAGE February 14, 2013 at 8:31 am

Good gravy. Is there anyway you can stay in France for another year, pleeeease!
It so nice to know you are in this part of the world. Please don’t leave!!!

2 Design Mom February 14, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Just 6 more months. : ( But we’re trying hard to purchase a little cottage. Which means we’ll be back for a part of each year!

3 Amy February 14, 2013 at 10:30 am

My wedding dress was made of alencon lace, I fall in love with it again every time I look at it.

4 red peeptoe pumps February 14, 2013 at 10:56 am

Mine too, Amy! The quality of the lace was unlike anything else I’d seen. Absolutely beautiful!

5 Design Mom February 14, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I don’t think I’ve actually seen any up close. It looks gorgeous in photos!

6 Giulia February 14, 2013 at 2:00 pm

My mother’s dress was made of alencon lace and I restructured the dress and had my own wedding dress made of all the lace including the long veil.

7 Merris February 14, 2013 at 11:47 am

I worked for the Credit Agricole in Alencon (and Argentan!) for a summer a decade ago, and have enjoyed following your adventures in Normandy. Make it a priority to spend a few hours at the Alecon lace museum while you have the opportunity. They display so many beautiful gowns that have graced many household names. The craftsmanship is stunning.

8 Design Mom February 14, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Credit Agricole is totally our bank! And yes, I definitely need to visit the Alencon lace museum.

9 Courtney Odle February 14, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Beautiful! I love this bridal look. So simple, chic, and oh, so French!

10 Michelle February 14, 2013 at 9:29 pm

General paints has a beautiful soft grey color – with the same name. My old Victorian home had the hue throughout. It was my favorite color/non-color.

11 Kacy Faulconer February 15, 2013 at 9:14 am

Before we had kids, we visited Christian’s parents when they were living in Belgium. We SPLURGED (we were very poor students) on a blessing dress with a little Brugge Lace around the hem and collar. All the kids have worn it on their blessing day. I hope some of my grand kids wear it.

Pull the trigger on some Alencon lace.

12 Bonnie @ the pin junkie February 15, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Gorgeous!

13 Miranda February 18, 2013 at 2:27 pm

One of the first real formal dresses I made (for my husband’s cousins prom!) was made from Alencon lace and silk satin (http://www.onelittleminuteblog.com/2010/06/miss-megans-senior-prom-dress/). I had never worked with lace before, let alone high quality lace, and I think I trembled a bit with that first slice through the gorgeous and pricey fabric ($120/yd, I think). Luckily, the dress turned out beautifully, and I keep hoping for another chance to work with Alencon lace again…you know, when someone else is paying for the fabric:)
I had no idea Alencon was a real town! I wonder if the lace is as expensive there as it is here? If not, maybe I should have you buy a bit for me!

xoxo