A Midsummer Night’s Dream

February 22, 2013

Though she be but little, she is fierce.

By Carter.

Shakespeare’s enchanting work of love and dreams and friendship is full of rich language. And this one is a sparkler. It comes during a quarrel between two dear friends, Helena and Hermia. Although they are thick as thieves, Helena exclaims this — both a warning and a delightful compliment! Don’t you think this would be a fantastic fit in the room of a fierce little girl? Or in one of  sisters whose loves gets a bit tangled up sometimes? You can find this print in Emily’s shop right here.

P.S. — This series — illustrated quotes from children’s books — is a collaboration between Emily McDowell and myself. You can find the whole series here. We just loved this one so much, we had to use it!

{ 2 trackbacks }

Clickery for February 22, 2013 - Borealis
February 22, 2013 at 9:04 am
Away by Michael Gow | Rafferty's Rules
February 23, 2013 at 7:25 pm

1 Emily February 22, 2013 at 8:16 am

What a lovely quote!! Reminds me of a few other favorites:

She turned her can’ts into cans, and her dreams into plans.

and!

Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will move mountains.

2 Carter Higgins February 22, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Thank you for this reminder, Emily! I had a big bowl of the can’ts this morning…not anymore!

3 Christine February 22, 2013 at 8:25 am

I LOVE this! So feisty. But this one is my favorite: ‘She turned her can’ts into cans, and her dreams into plans.’ And as a set, perfection!

4 Lori B February 22, 2013 at 9:31 am

Ha! This has often been my comeback when people assume that I’m wimpy or don’t need to be taken seriously. I’m just over five feet when I stand real straight :)

Just yesterday I was having an argument with my 15yos who is five foot nine, and he interrupted me to say, “You know, my friends laugh at me for doing what my mommy tells me to, but that’s because they have no idea how scary you can be when you’re mad.” Of course I started laughing and the argument was over- I think that might have been his intention :)

5 Megan February 22, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I bought three of Emily’s prints for Christmas and I’m heading to her shop right now! I’m in love with everything she illustrates.

6 Carter Higgins February 22, 2013 at 1:15 pm

She’s top notch! I am picking up my Louisa May Alcott print from the frame shop this weekend!

7 Amy February 22, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I love this quote! How is it I am only hearing of it for the first time today! I am buying a print for my 4 year old’s room. My daughter is very petite, as am I, and this suits her perfectly. I am even considering a tatoo of this quote – on me, not her :-) Thank you for sharing it.

8 Darci February 23, 2013 at 7:01 pm

My 19 yo daughter is considering this as a tattoo – she is 5’4″ so not too small but lord is she fierce.

9 Gwen S February 24, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Delighted to see you’ve posted this quote. My granddaughter turned 18 three days ago and could hardly stand the wait for her first tattoo. Guess what’s on the inside of her right upper arm…? :) Mmm hmmm, this quote.

10 A Day in May Design February 26, 2013 at 12:05 am

Absolutely love it :).

11 Dianna February 26, 2013 at 11:24 am

Adore this! Perfect for a little girls room!

12 walmart garcinia cambogia March 23, 2013 at 8:32 am

Aw, this was an extremely good post. Spending some time and actual effort to produce a great article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole lot and never seem to get nearly anything done.|