A Few Things

February 22, 2013

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends. How are you doing? We had an interesting week around here. Our internet line was accidentally cut and we went most of the week without it. Which is tricky when your job is internet-based. : ) We ended up at McDonalds twice — it has the most reliable wifi in our little town! I think I only managed to get through half of my list this week, but today felt productive. In fact, we reapplied for our French visas this morning. And the appointment was smooth and easy! Feels good to mark that off my list.

Last weekend was all about getting outside and searching out signs of spring. (Signs were indeed spotted as evidenced by the bouquet above, given to me by Betty.) But the temperature dropped all of sudden last night, and it’s supposed to get even colder tomorrow. It’s so cold that I’m predicting frozen pipes! So I think this weekend will be all about cozy fires and baking cookies and eating stick-to-your-bones sorts of meals. How about you? Any fun plans?

While I stoke the fire, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:

- We all went nuts over Erin’s Nairobi house tour, and now Erin is generously offering a 20% discount on adorable Toto Knits with the code designmom. Yay!

- You know I’ve got a thing for Caldecotts, so of course I love this infographicThanks, Annie.

- A nursery that is as sweet as it is unusual.

- Cool drawing tools.

- If it’s cold outside, you might as well have some fun!

- Remember Swiss Stacked Wood? And the Olive Us Stacking Wood episode? You might also enjoy this NYTimes article about a surprisingly divisive Norwegian television program. Thanks, Carrie.

- Polarn O. Pyret just launched a fun new blog.

- Wow. Just wow.

- A sweet way to save lives.

- Oscar worthy poster for Best Picture fans.

- And don’t miss the Clementine Giveaway I’m hosting. (I want one of everything.)

I hope you have a terrific weekend! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — Today is the last day of school before our kids have a 2-week winter break. I feel a roadtrip coming on!

1 The New Diplomats Wife February 22, 2013 at 10:36 am

hopefully this oncoming road trip involves the alps -the last big chance to see them in their full winter glory – have a great trip!

2 Design Mom February 25, 2013 at 7:59 am

The Alps is on our wish list — but finding a place to stay has been super frustrating. We might have to be content with the visit we had in the summer.

3 caroline February 22, 2013 at 11:02 am

I suggest a “boat and road” trip ;)

4 Rebecca Alexis February 22, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Ohhh thanks for all the link-ys. Adore. Where will you go on your road trip? Places I would suggest is the South of France to the Provence and the Luberon if you haven’t already been down there. It is so so lovely this time of year. You might have missed all the blossoms, but there is still a chance to see them! They are something that will be etched on your heart forever. Also, the olive trees down there are beautiful. Absolutely beautiful, you can feel Van Gogh’s inspiration throughout the villages and rolling hills. While you are still in France you should really try to go to the Isle de Batz, It is gorgeous and so very quaint. But that is only if you don’t go to Provence. thanks again for the links! xo

5 Design Mom February 25, 2013 at 8:01 am

I’m keep being surprised when I realize how much of France we haven’t seen. We’ve done so much exploring here, but we still haven’t made it to Provence!

6 Joy | Frock Files February 22, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Yes, I am totally in love with Erin’s house — in so many ways it reminds me of houses in the country in Hawaii (where I’m from), and in other ways it’s so extraordinarily different. I love the sense of whimsy it holds. Same for the nursery! What I wouldn’t do for a teepee of my own.

Have a wonderful road trip! xo

7 Dianne February 22, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I just stumbled upon your blog. Beautiful. Enjoy your road trip.

8 Heidi February 23, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Shane Koyczan made this video last year with our local high school after a string of suicides. It’s also very powerful.

9 Design Mom February 25, 2013 at 8:01 am

Thank you so much for the link, Heidi.

10 Birgit February 24, 2013 at 2:16 am

Reapplied for visas – does that mean you are staying longer?

11 Design Mom February 25, 2013 at 8:02 am

Still staying until July. But our visas expire each year and we just hit our 2 year mark. So we’re reapplying in order to have permission to live here 6 more months.

12 Meg February 24, 2013 at 7:24 am

Please tell, are you going to stay in France? I recommend a vist to Mont Blanc,Chamonix(host of the first Winter Olympics in 1924). Also, be sure to check out Annecy. Happy road trip!

13 April Louise February 24, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Not long until spring, I have been searching for the signs too. The chicken’s water got frozen over this weekend so not getting my hopes up!

14 Design Mom February 25, 2013 at 8:03 am

Poor chickens. Stay warm!

15 Christa the BabbyMama February 24, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Have a great weekend!

16 Erin February 25, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I loved Erin’s house tour so much and was all set to buy a few sweaters. The extra discount just pushed me into action! Thanks!

17 catherine February 27, 2013 at 9:01 am

Hi Gabrielle,

We finally made it. We are trying to set ourselves up in Angers. Hubbies put his paper work in for his visa. The kids aren’t in school yet as you said school holidays, but we are staying in a gite for now till we find a more permanent address. Saw your story about the cottage what a great idea. Our future plans are to similar but we were thinking of running a Gite for extra income. anyway thats a longtime away, i just want to get an adress and start exploring – its so beautiful here.

Cheers

18 carrie February 27, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Ordered a sweater for my son from Erin. How nice she was to deal with, and the sweater has already shipped too.