A Few Things

February 1, 2013

By Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends. Did you have a good week? Are you ready to greet February? I’m hoping for a laid back weekend at home. I still feel like I’m catching up on sleep and work and email after Alt Summit. I want to tell you about the conference! About Chris Anderson and Stefan Sagmeister and Darcy Miller and the new bloggers I met and the outfits I put together and the little boxes of toiletries at the Grand America that I want to decoupage and the Fashionable scarves that the Alt community designed and the two(!) bags of pear jelly bellies. And I’m still working on a writeup about Venice, too!

I’ve decided February will be a good month for all of those reports to happen. : ) In the meantime, I thought it would be fun to share these cheerful images that Color Me Katie shot during her Alt Summit session (big thanks to Sherwin-Williams for sponsoring such a colorful talk!), and accompany them with a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:

- Cold! Cold! Cold! Made me laugh so hard. Via Dooce.

Superheroes for those who still believe in them.

- Good news for those of us that are crummy at multi-tasking (raises hand).

- A kickstarter from an artist/author I’m a fan of. A $10 donation gets you a book!

- Pep talk from Kid PresidentThank you, Karey.

- Need help picking out art? This service (from Nadya) looks super smart.

Bunk beds!

- An awesome super bowl ad teaser. Fun fact: I heard about this from Patrick Maravilla, one of the creators of the commercial. Patrick was my copywriting partner when I worked as an art director in New York — he’s big time now! Woot!

- Moving a couch across campusThanks, Mackenzie.

- I haven’t tried one, but these refillable squeeze pouches look like a good idea.

- Printable bookplates with space for a little history.

- Here’s a mouth-watering breakfast-in-bed slideshow I created for Babble.

I hope you have a delightful weekend — and I hope you get to watch Groundhog Day! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

{ 3 trackbacks }

The Time I Totally Had a Balloon Party with Design Mom | All Sorts of Pretty
February 5, 2013 at 7:34 am
me elsewhere: thanks, design mom - Blue Locket
February 5, 2013 at 8:35 am
Friday Links - Designing Around
February 8, 2013 at 2:49 pm

1 the emily February 1, 2013 at 10:15 am

That cold cold cold video made me laugh out loud! Our temperatures were -19 for several days in Gallup. THAT’S cold cold cold.

2 Design Mom February 4, 2013 at 4:08 am

Wasn’t that hilarious? Cracked me up.

3 Andrea Freeman February 1, 2013 at 10:39 am

The superheroes post is the best! Made me smile. Thank you for all of your post. I truly think you are amazing! I hope you get that laid back weekend. I’m hoping for the opposite. :)

4 Jennifer February 1, 2013 at 10:43 am

I posted Kid President’s Pep Talk a few days ago too. Loved it.

And cold, cold, cold.. that WAS funny!! Especially since I can relate currently living in South Carolina (but not being from here originally!) where the locals feel “cold” at 55 too :) :)

5 Nicole February 1, 2013 at 10:48 am

Just stumbled across your blog. Love it! Thanks for the kickstarter link above. It led me to the ashmae etsy shop. Amazing artist! I’m going to get some stuff for the kids’ rooms.

6 Design Mom February 4, 2013 at 4:09 am

She is an amazing artist!

7 Lauren February 1, 2013 at 10:56 am

Yes! Someone else who appreciates Groundhog Day! It’s one of my favorite movies and we always have a celebration based around watching the movie on Feb. 2nd. This year, we’re actually traveling for a conference and staying in a bed and breakfast on Groundhog Day- how fitting :)

8 Shannon { A Mom's Year } February 1, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Oh, brother! We’re hoping it gets above zero today! We’ll be snuggling with dog AND blankets AND hot water bottles to watch Groundhog Day. :)

9 BON VOYAGE February 1, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Wait!!! Wait!!! I’m still trying to digest all the Jessica Alba fun ifo. I really, really want to attend Alt next year…

10 Allison February 1, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I have some squeeze bottles similar to that and I love love love them. They’re especially nice to carry water in when traveling or hiking because you can just roll them up when you drink all the water and they take up no space in your bag. Or you can freeze the water in them and they become an ice pack AND a frosty drink when you take your niece the amusement park in 400 degree weather. I use mine all the time.

11 Design Mom February 4, 2013 at 4:11 am

Good to know! I love that they don’t take up much space.

12 nadya February 1, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Gabrielle, you’re like a fairy godmother. Thanks for the mention! xo

13 Christa the BabbyMama February 1, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Oh man, why couldn’t they have had the refillable squishy packs years ago?!

14 ashmae February 1, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Thank you! The Kickstarter is almost there!

15 Design Mom February 4, 2013 at 4:11 am

That’s great news, Ashmae!

16 Alie February 1, 2013 at 3:23 pm

We have a SiliSqueeze (http://thesilico.com/) and LOVE it. It’s great for on the go. It’s so so easy to clean and the EZ-squeeze one also works well for smoothies.

17 Kari February 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Loved the couch video – so thrilled to see it was done on my alma mater’s campus. Go K-State!

18 Grace February 1, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Haha! The first link is so hilarious! I live in Southern California and all us locals are really over-exaggerating over the cold. Everyone has been complaining about the “cold front” lately. It hailed one night and that was literally the topic of conversation in my neighborhood the ENTIRE day. “Did you hear/see/feel the hail last night?!” Instagram blew up with pictures of the hail phenomenon and various pictures of hot cocoa and other warm drinks. Cold weather is a wondrous thing to us Californians. Today was a whooping 80 degrees, so happy to report the cold front has passed…for now!

19 Kelly February 2, 2013 at 9:15 am

Thanks SO much for the bunk bed round-up…we’re looking at bunk beds right now for our almost-5-year-old girl who insists on getting one to prepare for her little sister who will be born around May this year. :-)

One problem: She fell out of bed last night. Hmm…

20 Design Mom February 4, 2013 at 4:10 am

Yay for bunk bed hunts!

21 Sue Anne Brown February 3, 2013 at 3:00 am

“Cold. Cold. Cold” Cold Minnesota weather is like this so much. Humor is all that works to travel such ice sheets, driveways, sidewalks, snow, etc. Thanks for
a spot where all one can do is laugh.