You’ve Got Mail

January 8, 2013

By Gabrielle.

The older kids were talking about romantic comedies over the holiday break, and I encouraged them to watch You’ve Got Mail. Maybe they were faking, but they seemed to really enjoy it. At the very least, I got a kick out of watching them watch it. : )

There was a year, about the time Maude was born, when I watched that movie at least a hundred times, but I hadn’t seen it in forever. Have you watched it lately? I can’t believe how much I still like it.

That caviar is a GARNISH!

This time around, the bookstore storyline really hit me, and the reality of how much things have changed in the last decade. If we were placing bets in 2013 on which store had the better chance of surviving the year — Shop Around the Corner vs. Big Bad Fox Books — my money would be on the little guy. I would suggest some sort of artisanal twist, like beefing up her collection of first editions, or concentrating on out-of-print books. And I would definitely encourage her to offer her in-store collection online. But poor Fox Books, what in the world we would recommend to a 3-story-mega-book-chain? I’m afraid I would sadly tell them the forecast doesn’t look good.

Would you agree? Can you imagine what the world will be like in another 10 years? And the most important question: Do you like the movie as much as I?

P.S. — I get a huge kick out of listening to the dial-up internet sounds in the opening credits.

P.P.S. — I still covet Meg Ryan’s hair in this movie. Also, her apartment.

1 rhonda January 8, 2013 at 6:53 am

That is my favorite movie of all time! I have watched it far too many times to count and am gently made fun of for that :) It’s perfection.

2 Sandra Gonzales January 8, 2013 at 6:58 am

You’ve Got Mail and Moonstruck are my FAVORITE romantic comedies.
I especially love the references to the Godfather which is my favorite mobster movie. The only thing that makes me sad is seeing how cute Meg Ryan used to be before the plastic surgery.

3 Summer January 8, 2013 at 10:45 am

It makes me so sad too! Meg Ryan was our heeeero in high school. I think Russell Crowe kind of ruined her too. So sad.

4 Lauren January 8, 2013 at 6:58 am

Definitely one of my top three favorite movies! I like to have it playing in the background while I am working around the house sometimes.
You make a good point about how the focus seems to be shifting from bigger and cheaper to smaller and more unique- what a great shift!
And yes, Meg’s hair, her outfits, her apartment- I still find myself trying to copy things about them from time to time :)

5 Janet January 8, 2013 at 6:59 am

Love the movie. But love While You Were Sleeping and Sleepless in Seattle even a bit more.

6 Design Mom January 8, 2013 at 7:13 am

While You Were Sleeping! That’s another one I’ve watched at least a hundred times. I need to re-watch it and see if I still love it.

7 Shannon { A Mom's Year } January 8, 2013 at 8:27 am

I always watch While You Were Sleeping as a treat while I’m wrapping Christmas presents! Sweetest movie ever.

8 Grace@ Sense and Simplicity January 8, 2013 at 7:04 am

My daughter and I adore that movie and have to watch it every year (at least once). I love Meg Ryan’s apartment and her clothes … and the way she walks. We know the movie so well that we can practically say it line for line as we watch it.

9 Kacie January 8, 2013 at 7:05 am

Such a great movie. Although, hands down, my all-time favorite Meg Ryan movie is When Harry Met Sally… oh Nora Ephron, what would we do without you!??

10 rachel swartley January 8, 2013 at 7:07 am

If you like “You’ve Got Mail,” you would probably also enjoy watching “The Shop Around the Corner.” It’s the Jimmy Stewart film that was the basis for “You’ve Got Mail.” And of course you’ll recognize it as the name of the small bookstore. :)

11 Design Mom January 8, 2013 at 7:15 am

Hah! I was feeling guilty the other day that I’ve never watched the original. : ) Do you like it better than the Nora Ephron version?

12 Ginger January 8, 2013 at 8:39 am

“In the Good Old Summertime” is another retelling of the same story. If you’re a Judy Garland fan then you might like it more than the Jimmy Stewart version. I do! My sisters and I would always crack up during the “I Don’t Care” song. So funny.

13 Tasha January 8, 2013 at 6:16 pm

LOVE that one too! A classic:)

14 Rachel Schindler January 8, 2013 at 7:09 am

What a great movie! I haven’t watched it in a while, but I put it on my Netflix list. Thanks for the reminder. I do hope you are right about smaller stores being more successful. I think I will add that to my prayer list. Here’s to a great 2013 and I loved all of your pics from Venice. Hugs…

15 Design Mom January 8, 2013 at 7:21 am

The small versus large idea is interesting to me, because it’s not playing out universally. I mean, Amazon is a HUGE store and it’s thriving — personally, I’m a dedicated Amazon fan. But when I think of all the small shops, boutique hotels, vintage collections, hand-made specialties, etc. that the population seems to be drawn to (myself included), and that are featured in blogs and magazines, it sure feels like a return to small, quality businesses is a trend that’s not going away.

16 Design Mom January 8, 2013 at 7:22 am

And thanks for the kind words about Venice!

17 Amy Curran January 8, 2013 at 7:11 am

“I love New York in the fall.” I love New York any time of the year…. The only thing I love more is a great bookstore.

18 Nicole January 8, 2013 at 7:23 am

One of my favorites. A few months ago I made a list of all my favorite romantic comedies for my 14 year old daughter and we have had so much fun watching them together. I get so sentimental and gushy watching her fall in love with the same movies I love! She loved You’ve Got Mail as much as I did. And…. I totally coveted Meg Ryan’s apartment too! Every time I watch it I laugh at myself noticing all the decorating details. It makes the movie even more fun for me when the sets have my “taste!”

19 Crystal January 8, 2013 at 7:24 am

Meg has always had the best hair. I love that movie, too. Just like little book shops, there aren’t enough romantic (without being raunchy) comedies anymore.

20 Louise January 8, 2013 at 7:28 am

I love this movie – I will always remember it for giving me something to distract me from the horrors of learning to breastfeed! ;o) Nora Ephron once said it was her love letter to New York. I’ve always loved having that background information – it’s made me think, if I were to write a love letter to my hometown (London), what would it look like?

21 amy January 8, 2013 at 7:31 am

In my city (Atlanta), it seems that the independent book stores that have managed to hold on during the past decade are on enjoying new popularity. After Borders closed, we have only Barnes and Noble as the big, national chain. I’ve also been reading about libraries becoming more popular. Fortunately, my county library system is amazing and my local branch is beautiful.

22 Design Mom January 8, 2013 at 10:16 am

So interesting, Amy!

23 Lauren January 8, 2013 at 7:35 am

I LOVE this movie. LOVE it!! We were going to watch that for our date tonight!! :D

24 Ris January 8, 2013 at 7:38 am

I just re-watched this movie not too long ago and I absolutely love it! And yes, her hair and her apartment are both extremely enviable.

25 Heather January 8, 2013 at 7:42 am

Oh I love this movie. I went through a stretch where I would alternate between this and Gilmore Girls episodes to relax before bed. I still hold an unusual love of Zabar’s because of this movie. Have you ever noticed the cashier is now on Grey’s Anatomy?

26 Corrie Anne January 8, 2013 at 7:46 am

I love that movie. I definitely went through a phase of watching it repeatedly — I also met my husband online! :)

27 Cheryl January 8, 2013 at 7:57 am

I love that movie! It’s so sweet how Tom Hanks keeps gently pursuing her and how she keeps telling him how wonderful she thinks he is without knowing it.

Joe Fox: Mr. 152 Felony indictments.
Kathleen Kelly: Mr. 152 insights into my soul.
Joe Fox: Oh yeah. No competing with that.

I think it is my favorite.

28 Anna January 8, 2013 at 8:05 am

So many great lines.

“he’s fat, he’s a fatty”

“I don’t care about that”

“he’s so fat l, he’s one of these guys who has to be hauled out of his house by a crane…you don’t care”

“that is very unlikely”

Seen it so many times. And I want her apartment too. And her wardrobe.

29 Alexandra January 8, 2013 at 8:24 am

This is one of my favorite movies of all time! It’s still so, so good. Everything — her hair, apartment, bookstore, New York in the fall (makes me want to buy school supplies)! Parker Posey is also fantastic – “Uggggh WHERE ARE MY TIC TACS???” cracks me up every time.

30 Allison January 8, 2013 at 9:53 am

I LOVE the “where are my Tic Tacs?” line! Her delivery is so awesome. It reminds me of the “where is my beige iridescent LIPSTICK!!” line from Dirty Dancing.

31 Koseli Cummings January 8, 2013 at 8:24 am

“Your mother was enchanting.”

We used to live right by Riverside Park and every time I went for a walk, I’d recall the final scene. Ah, You’ve Got Mail is one of the best romantic comedies of all time.

The dial-up always makes me giggle!

32 Jules January 8, 2013 at 8:24 am

I watch this movie every year before Halloween. It gets me in the mood for the holiday season. I love Kathleen Kelly’s style. And the music is perfect…

“Thank your”

33 Mary-- The Yellow Door Paperie January 8, 2013 at 8:26 am

My friend and I watched that over the holidays. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! And I love her apartment and hair too!

I believe I’ve spent most of my life crushing on Meg Ryan. But really, in that movie is just so beautiful– the little book shop. The turtle necks and tights. Books and story time. A sweet unfolding of friendship.

F-O-X!

34 kockey January 8, 2013 at 8:34 am

Love the movie! Like many others, it is a favorite. Meg Ryan definitely makes great hair, traditional style and timeless decor seem so effortless…sigh!

Small vs. Large. On a local talk radio show where I live (Salt Lake City, UT) the economy was being discussed (BIG surprise). It was mentioned that if every person made an effort to have 10% of their regular purchases come from a independent local business instead of a Big Box store, it would bring 400 million dollars back into our state economy. I don’t know how true it is or not, but has made me more aware of my surroundings and what I can do to better improve and support my community.

35 Jerilyn January 8, 2013 at 8:40 am

Yep! Love this movie, and I love her hair – I kept trying to get mine to look like that, and finally came to the realization that we don’t have the same type of hair at all… bummer.

36 Barchbo January 8, 2013 at 8:59 am

We watched this movie this weekend, too! My husband and I were cracking up during the “That caviar is a GARNISH!” scene – I am always appalled and he always laughs. And Parker Posey steals every scene she’s in (par usual.)

37 Design Mom January 8, 2013 at 10:17 am

Yep. Parker Posey is fantastic. Also, her name is enviable.

38 Jan January 8, 2013 at 9:05 am

I love this movie, too! As a food writer, I spend most of my afternoons cooking in the kitchen. Now I’ve started setting up my laptop in the corner of the counter and watching old movies while I work. The first one I chose was… You’ve Got Mail!

39 D January 8, 2013 at 9:21 am
40 Jenny January 8, 2013 at 9:24 am

It was just on the other night and I had to stop and watch. Such a great great movie. The night before Sleepless in Seattle was on. Dream weekend!

41 Kimberly January 8, 2013 at 9:25 am

I have the last scene bookmarked on YouTube.

“Don’t cry, ShopGirl.” (sigh!)

42 Design Mom January 8, 2013 at 10:19 am

Best bookmark ever.

43 Sabrina January 8, 2013 at 9:38 am

LOVE this movie, although I love Sleepless in Seattle even more. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are pure magic together. I think you are right about the little guy having a fighting chance these days. I don’t think The Shop Around the Corner would run Fox Books out, but I think there would be enough people around to support the little guy that they could coexist.

44 Tanya H January 8, 2013 at 9:44 am

This is one of my top five movies of ALL TIME! (insert hand gestures)
We love it because it’s timeless. We love it because we want to believe that F-O-X will, indeed, reveal that it is HE that she loves. We want to love as deeply as she does–her love for and belief in people. She is the best version of ourselves.

45 Ellen W January 8, 2013 at 9:49 am

I love this movie – I should buy the dvd as I have it on VHS and we no longer have any VCRs in our house. Meg Ryan movies make me think maybe I could pull off short hair, but I’ve been too chicken to ever cut my hair that short.

46 Sarah January 8, 2013 at 9:50 am

Me too! I was thinking “Why am I not watching You’ve Got Mail?…. oh, because it’s not on DVD or Netflix”

47 Sarah January 8, 2013 at 9:50 am

When I was watching Love Actually this year I realized that it’s the new You’ve Got Mail. I do love YGM though, and it’s definitely onto something. Coming soon: a FoxBooks superstore and the end of civilization as you know it

48 Design Mom January 8, 2013 at 10:20 am

Don’t laugh, but I haven’t actually seen Love Actually. I tried over vacation, but it’s not on Amazon Instant. I’ll have to see if it’s on iTunes.

49 Summer January 8, 2013 at 10:43 am

What’s funny is that Love Actually is pretty old too!

50 Kirsty January 8, 2013 at 10:36 am

I watched rewatched it for the millioneth time the other night and posted, “that CAVIAR is a GARNISH” as my facebook status and nobody questioned it ;)
A modern classic for sure.
Love Actually is worth buying. Really. Just buy it.

51 Apryl January 8, 2013 at 10:38 am

Gabby, you should totally do a post on awesome movies from our mispent youth that our kids would love. We recently watched “Back to the Future” and “Home Alone” and “Pee Wee’s Big Adventure” with the girls and they loved them! Gretchen’s favorite movie is now “ET”, but now I need some more ideas… (especially since, luckily, they both think kissing is gross and run out of the room covering their eyes when it happens on screen ;)

52 Summer January 8, 2013 at 10:48 am

One of my favorite movies of all time as well, and my favorite Meg Ryan movie (followed closely by When Harry Met Sally, and I’m a French Kiss fan as well). When people talk about “the Rachel” hair from the 90′s, I think, “Nooooo, we def loved Meg Ryan’s hair the most….most of us were just too chicken to do it!”

Gabby, did you kids have questions about the dial up modem sound? I think it’s so cute that they can still enjoy it. :D

53 Angela DeMuro January 8, 2013 at 11:03 am

L.O.V.E. this film! and just watched again with my husband the other eve.

Love the apartment, hair, clothes. AND due to this love affair…it influenced so greatly my apartments and now home. Right down to a painting of swans…remember in her bedroom area. I thought that was a perfect touch ..swans mate forever. The painting I have is a bit different, done by my grandfather. I also (don’t be jealous) had the Meg hair…it was the only style that worked effortlessly with my hair. I think I may just grow it a bit into that again:) (It is cut like Ginnifer Godwins currently).

Watch Love Actually….really adore that film too! Hugh Grant…charming, reminds me of my husband:)

54 Arbine January 8, 2013 at 11:31 am

I love love love this movie! I will watch it every single time time it’s one TV. :)

55 Heather January 8, 2013 at 11:44 am

One of my all time favs! My best friend and I email each other about life situations, and will say, “remember in YGM, when Meg…” We’ve seen the movie a million times & love everything about it.
Gabby, I think you are right on about small vs. big. The exceptions I think of are Amazon & Target. I could not live without those two!

56 Erin January 8, 2013 at 11:49 am

no kidding! about the movie, AND about Meg Ryan’s hair! could she get any cuter?

That movie has got to be one of the most quoted of all time. And about the economy.. that never occurred to me. what an interesting thought! I’m sure my husband and I will be discussing it over dinner.

57 Jen January 8, 2013 at 11:55 am

Every time it comes on, I have to stop what I’m doing and watch it.

58 Annie January 8, 2013 at 11:59 am

In an effort to counteract the seemingly millionth viewing of “The Avengers” at my male heavy house over the holidays, I put my foot down and insisted we watch “You’ve Got Mail” and “Sleepless in Seattle”! The best! The best of everything:hair clothes, apartment, banter and love.

59 MEL January 8, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I just watched this the other night! Such a classic.

“Go to the mattresses”–
MEL

60 raquel January 8, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Love this movie, have the soundtrack, seen it so many times. Any Nora Ephron movie really. But this one is a favorite. :)

61 Stephanie January 8, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Ahh, I love that movie and coincidentally just watched it over the weekend with my 12 year old daughter…she really liked it! I was a bit nostalgic at the SOUND of the internet connecting and shd was impressed that we had laptops ” back then” hah!

62 kristin January 8, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I love this movie! I recently just watched it again and remembered that it was one of my all time favorites. I even had my hair cut like Meg’s. There is no greater romantic comedy combination than Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. Great post!

63 Bethany January 8, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Yes, yes, yes! Love this movie!

64 Debbie January 8, 2013 at 2:21 pm

And the pinwheel quilt on her bed! One of my all time favs. I always stop to watch it.

65 Terri January 8, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Oh gosh, I haven’t watched that movie in a long time…. it’s so good! I definitely agree about the small book store winning in this day & age, especially one focused on children’s books.

66 Jette January 8, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I love this movie. Reasently it’s been on tv severel time so I’ve been catching up ;)
Ever since I saw it for the first time many many years ago it has bin my dream to open a bookstore like hers especially with a storybook lade every Friday. It is still a dream just not the time right now, but som day shop around the corner will open in Copenhagen (Denmark )!

67 Lauralou January 8, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Oh how I love this movie. I even found a way to use it as a teaching tool in a creative writing unit on letter writing as a genre. (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? so good). If you can get the DVD of You’ve Got Mail, do it. The director’s commentary by Nora Ephron is marvelous! Sigh. I miss Nora Ephron. “What is it with men and The Godfather?”

68 tere January 8, 2013 at 4:21 pm

The most funny thing about the internet connection sound is to explain it to the kids! I watched the movie with the two eldest some time ago and they couldn’t believe we had to wait for the connection, if we got one, and that we had sometimes to sacrifice the phone. Jurassic period! I’m glad we are heading to artisan again, though! It was my dream to have a bookstore like that one, but I was highly discouraged with the movie at the time, ha!

69 kat January 8, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I first watched this film when I was in the midst of writing letters to my love. Dial up and all.

70 Lisa Mackin January 8, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Great movie! Caught a few frames myself this weekend. I love the shop the most. Her apartment is cozy too.

71 Bridgette January 8, 2013 at 4:40 pm

This is my go to movie whenever the pile of ironing is about to tip over. I love the whole thing, New York, the Little Shop Around The Corner, the cardigans!
I always root for the little shops, I worked in a little childrens boutique for years before moving to Nordstrom…no comparison!

72 Christine January 8, 2013 at 5:17 pm

This is by far my all time favorite movie. When I was in college I watched it so many times the disc wore out. I recently bought it from iTunes and I have it on my phone to watch whenever I want. It’s that movie I can pick up and watch any part and watch for any length of time and be satisfied. If I ever go to New York I want to go to the garden at the end and hug my husband and say, “I wanted it to be you, I wanted it to be you so badly!”

73 Tasha January 8, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Home sick today, and guess what was on? I never tire of that movie nor of either actor! They’re endearing!!! ♥

74 jackie mullin January 8, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I love that movie and just watched it over the weekend! I love the discussion of New York in the fall and how Joe would give her a bouquet of sharpened pencils!

75 Bonnie @ the pin junkie January 8, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Can you believe I’ve never seen this movie!?!? I’ll have to put it on my Netflix queue right away!

76 Sterling January 8, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Aaah, this is my favourite movie! I watch it a least a few times a year :)

77 sarah January 8, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Oh, heavens, I have read and smiled at everyone’s comment on here. We are a collection of kindred spirits indeed!

This film is my all-time favourite, and I echo many other sentiments about Kathleen Kelly’s style, hair, clothing, etc. It’s adorable and all-time feel-good. I also feel like most of life’s (not serious) dilemmas can be solved through its dialogue:
Problem? “Go to the mattresses.”
Bored? “I’m going to the nut shop, where it’s fun!”
Name issues? “Hi, I’m Janice, Hi, I’m Kimberley – don’t they know they’re supposed to have last names?”
Need to blow your nose? “A handkerchief is like a kleenex you don’t throw away.”
On voting: “In the last mayoral election, I went for a manicure.”

HA! Love it, and the music, and everything else …

Personal confession: two years ago I treated myself to a trip to NYC for my birthday. I swooned most of the weekend, and the reason is surely that it was essentially a pilgrimage in homage to the film! I squealed with delight at Zabar’s, had a dessert (and still have the matches!) from Café Lalo, walked the long walk to the garden from the end. Of course I wore a cute dress whilst there, and it was the fall!

Thank you for this charming post. I could even say it was enchanting! ;)

- sarah

78 sarah January 8, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Also, on Christmas morning I prepared a cream cheese/caramel dip with Skor bits on top (I think it’s like Daim in Europe and Heath in the US?). . . and my Mum was picking up all the bits of candy that was on top of the dip proper!
I laughingly admonished her, “That caviar, is a GARNISH.” Haha!
- sarah

79 Kate January 8, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Watching this movie is equivalent to snuggling up in a blanket with a cup of tea on a rainy day. Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks have such great chemistry in the film.

80 Amanda January 8, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I watched this in its entirety for the first time last year and fell in LOVE! With Meg Ryan, Tom Hanks, the bookstore storyline, the dialogue, the setting. Ahh, pure magic.

81 Mel January 8, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I love that movie! And her hair and her clothes and her apartment!

Check out the special features…Nora and Delilah Ephron talking about how they made the movie…really interesting!

82 Giselle January 9, 2013 at 6:56 am

I just watched the movie with my 11 yr old daughter this weekend. She loved it as much as I always have. I was surprised that it didn’t feel dated. And we laughed because my natural hair is like yours but during college, when this movie came out, I bleached my hair and cut it just like Meg Ryan and a couple weeks ago found an old picture to show her.

83 Karen F January 9, 2013 at 9:21 am

I love this movie so much! Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan were just perfect. Also, let’s not forget Greg Kinnear and Parker Posey! Their characters were awful, but the two of them make any movie they’re in better, just by being in it!

84 Kathy January 9, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I just watched “You’ve Got Mail” on E today. I wanted to see who performed “Somewhere Over The Rainbow” , I love the movie soundtrack version. I really need to buy the DVD, I too love “You”ve Got Mail” and think it was Nora Ephron’s best (what a loss to those of us who appreciate romantic comedies at their best). I use to go to NYC in the autum during the mid and late 90′s. Watching the movie takes me back to the West side and all the happy times I spent there during the best years of my life.

85 Meredith January 9, 2013 at 4:58 pm

i love EVERYTHING about this movie. (this was back when my husband had his celebrity crush on Meg Ryan– pre-plastic surgery. now he can’t stand her cuz of how plastic and stretched her face looks and cuz she cheated on her husband!) i can’t wait till my girls are old enough to appreciate it so we can watch it together!

86 jen January 9, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I completely agree with you about the bookstore economic outlook. I live in Reston, VA, a beautiful community 15 miles outside of Washington, DC. Our Barnes and Noble is closing down next month while the tiny used bookstore in the old plaza continues to thrive. There have actually been protests, petitions, etc. from the community about the Barnes & Noble closing (it is going to become a Container Store). I never thought I would see the day…..people rallying behind a major corporate book chain!

87 Caddy January 10, 2013 at 7:13 am

I adore this film!!! I’ve been a bookworm since childhood so I really related to a lot of it. I love so many scenes from this but particularly when Joe introduces his brother and Aunt to Kathleen. I have Aunts younger and around the same age as me and as a kid this was the only film that mirrored my own experiences. I also loved that scene where Kathleen finally visits Fox Books and recommends one of the shoe books to a customer.

I’ve also always wondered what Joe Fox wanted to do when he finally got out of the elevator. Parker Posey and “Where are my tic-tacs?!” totally blocked that one.

I’ll stop now before I rant on. Suffice to say I love this movie and am glad you posted about it Gabby.

88 LeeAnne January 12, 2013 at 2:18 pm

My favorite movie! I also adore the original stage musical (She Loves Me) and the first film adaptation (Shop Around the Corner). Such a sweet story. And, I totally got the Meg Ryan haircut in college!!! :)

89 Ann January 19, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Yes! I do love this movie as much as you! And love your advice for The Shop Around the Corner and perspective on how the story would be different today!

90 Ellen Patton January 27, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I love that movie! I was in NYC a few weeks ago and went to Cafe Lalo for dessert. It’s one of my favorite NYC spots. I love her hair and her apartment too. It’s a classic movie!

91 Kate February 12, 2013 at 5:47 pm

You’ve Got Mail! The best movie in the world and in all of history. Can you believe it is 15 years old this year?! I watched it with my mom and sister when it first came out (and about one hundred more times thereafter). I remember wanting to be like Kathleen when I grew up. As a 22-year-old college student, I definitely don’t own a bookstore but I do work at a B&B and like to pretend I am the bed and breakfast version of her.

Some of my male friends recently asked if they could watch it with my housemates, we are beyond delighted that they would even think of asking such a thing. OF COURSE WE WILL WATCH YOU’VE GOT MAIL WITH YOU!