Unseen Tours

January 24, 2013

By Gabrielle. A different view of Big Ben via English Heritage.

If you really think about it, the people who best know a city are the ones who walk it day and night. Sometimes all night! It’s this common sense concept with a splash of social consciousness at the heart of Unseen Tours, a company that enlists the help of homeless guides to lead tours through the streets of London. While still historical and professional, the result can’t help but be an incredibly poignant look at a city from a rarely seen perspective.

The best parts? The tours present the homeless in a more positive light to the rest of us, removing our fear while giving them ownership of their lives. Also, the majority of income goes straight to the guides, which has helped a few move into homes of their own. Some still prefer the streets, though. I can’t imagine…

As a designer, I’m always inspired to look at things differently. That same tactic helps me as a mom, too, especially during a sibling squabble! So I love the idea of Unseen Tours, but I wonder if it’s something I’d actually try. I like to think I would. I believe it would add something beautiful to my life. Would you? Why or why not?

{ 1 trackback }

Just Moms » Blog Archive » Unseen Tours
January 24, 2013 at 3:03 pm

1 Emily January 24, 2013 at 9:54 am

What a beautiful concept! I’d like to think I would take part, but like you, I’m not too sure.

2 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay January 24, 2013 at 10:37 am

I read the profiles of the tour guides and I think I would give it a go.

3 Clarissa January 24, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t go.

4 Sharon @ Discoveringblog January 24, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I think I would have to give something like that a try, just to experience something so interesting, from a point of view that is possibly so different than mine. Talk about thinking outside the box!

5 Sarah January 24, 2013 at 7:41 pm

What a fantastic idea–especially because it gives the guides a way to make a living and share their hard-won expertise about an area of the city.

6 Jimjam January 25, 2013 at 3:29 am

I’m not sure why anyone would be uncertain of trying it? What’s the big fear with it? I don’t understand. It’s sounds so interesting and would give you a completely unique view of London. It’s like a gritty version of Big Apple Greeters.

Love your blog by the way.

7 Carina January 25, 2013 at 3:40 am

This is such a wonderful idea. I’ve never been fearful of homeless, just sad that I’m limited in what I can do to help. People end up on the streets for so many different reasons, some by choice, others by circumstance and I wish I could take them all in, give them a warm bed and a hot meal. The concept of tours and as you say ‘giving them ownsership of their lives’ in a positive and encouraging step in helping people feel (and find) a sense of worthiness. I would absolutely do this, without a doubt.

8 Maria January 25, 2013 at 7:58 am

I would. Not only are you helping someone in need, but you’re also allowing yourself to see things from a very unique perspective. I always gravitate towards opportunities in which my receiving is being offset by someone else receiving as well. I think this is one of those opportunities.

9 emma January 25, 2013 at 1:55 pm

what a great idea! am going to look it up and book myself on it. thanks for this post and spreading the word about it. just discovered your blog and like it very much! emma – nomad thief

10 walmart garcinia cambogia March 23, 2013 at 8:33 am

I used to be able to find good advice from your blog posts.|