Tiny Treasure: Otter wax

January 17, 2013

By Koseli.

I am so excited to share this Tiny Treasure! Otterwax is a simple, inexpensive solution for waterproofing fabrics you wear every day — it works on denim, cotton, canvas, and wool. Unlike other waterproofing chemicals, Otterwax is not made with petroleum distillates so it’s sustainable and renewable. It’s made of beeswax and a secret mix of plant-based oils. One 5 oz. block will waterproof every inch of your favorite coat, or several pairs of your child’s jeans.

Have you ever used otter wax? How do you waterproof key outdoor pieces in your wardrobe? There are probably a thousand uses for otter wax and I can’t wait to hear your ideas.

P.S. — All the tiny treasures here.

1 Lauren January 17, 2013 at 11:20 am

I’ve been looking for some natural wax to waterproof my husband’s canvas lunch bag: https://www.etsy.com/listing/115963118/canvas-and-leather-lunch-bag-mens
This may be just the ticket! Thanks for the great tip!

2 Koseli Cummings January 17, 2013 at 11:56 am

That’s such a good idea, Lauren! I’ve seen waterproof lunch bags for over $100 online.

3 pavitra January 17, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I am going to make tote bags to sell and was looking for waxed canvas..This would be a perfect way to try it out before I invest in expensive waxed canvas….Thank you!

4 Mara @ {A Blog About Love} January 17, 2013 at 5:27 pm

I LOVE this! What a great find, Koseli. And of course I love the old school packaging.

5 Shannon { A Mom's Year } January 17, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Do you know if this works on Ugg boots?

6 Valerie January 18, 2013 at 6:42 am

Crazy question…anyone ever use this on metals? Beeswax is a great way to keep metal patinas safe, but I’m interested in how well/long this might last.

7 mom in mendon January 18, 2013 at 8:42 pm

A great find! So how long does it last? I mean, what happens to the waterproof jeans in the washing machine?

8 Michelle January 20, 2013 at 2:38 am

We’ve always used Sno-Seal–the original beeswax waterproofer. ;) It’s a great product–but maybe I’ll have to give Otter wax a try to compare.