The Caldecott Medal

January 29, 2013

The Caldecott Medal

By Carter. Images via Caryn Schafer.

Hollywood is right in my backyard, and the buzz surrounding awards season is in the air. Billboards beg for your consideration, as if every passing driver is an Academy voter! But I have been blindsided by a different kind of buzz, for a different kind of award: The Caldecott Medal. This morning the American Library Association honored the illustrator of the most distinguished contribution to American children’s literature.

The Caldecott Medal

This year marks its 75th anniversary! It is thrilling to think that art meant for children is so treasured and timeless. I gasped and cried and held my breath through most of the announcements, and am beyond happy that our kids have such great books.

Remember Jon Klassen? This year, he won the Caldecott Medal for This is Not My Hat. It’s a perfect marriage of art and text. And! He also won an Honor for Extra Yarn. I’m pretty sure that’s never happened before, so I’m pretty sure he’s having the best day ever.

Do you have a favorite Caldecott winner? Did you know one of Gabrielle’s very first posts was about how she collects Caldecott books?

P.S. —  For more history on the Caldecott Medal, I love this post. And this segment on NPR this morning made me grin. Happy reading!

{ 1 trackback }

The Island « Design of the Picture Book
January 31, 2013 at 9:44 am

1 Annieg January 29, 2013 at 7:40 am

I really love this book.

2 Valerie January 29, 2013 at 8:01 am

I’m such a fan of David Weisner and Chris VonAllsburg—beautiful art in all their books! I’d really love to see Graeme Base win one of these years though!

3 leslie w. January 29, 2013 at 8:12 am

I was watching (online) right there with you! I love it! And was so amused when they announced that there would be 5 Caldecott honor books this year and the whole crowd sent up a chorus of shock and excitement — too funny!

4 Carter Higgins January 29, 2013 at 9:57 am

When they said FIVE I nearly fainted and fell in it. SO thrilled that they recognized so many! And then oh…did you cry at all?! I totally did.

5 Caryn January 29, 2013 at 8:21 am

Thanks for the link Carter! Yesterday was such an adrenaline rush; better than the Oscars for book lovers, right? :)

Oh and FYI, it has happened before where an illustrator won both the medal and an honor; but I’m pretty sure only once. Leonard Weisgard won in 1947 — the medal for The Little Island and an honor for Rain Drop Splash. So thrilled for Jon Klassen! He can already be linked in awesomeness with someone as classic as Weisgard.

6 Carter Higgins January 29, 2013 at 9:58 am

Oh, Caryn…you’re right! I learned about Weisgard last night. So yes, Jon Klassen is an instant legend. When I met him (squeal) I tried not to fangirl all over him, but I’m not sure how well I did. I’m still exhausted from yesterday!

7 Caryn January 29, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I wondered yesterday if it had happened before, so I looked it up right after. :) I’m such a nerd like that. So jealous that you got to meet Klassen!

8 mom in mendon January 29, 2013 at 9:56 am

Thanks for this post. Great links!

9 Angela DeMuro January 29, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Great post today! I aspire to someday receive such an honor.
Just love your weekly post here:) xo

10 Martha January 30, 2013 at 1:40 am

Love the Caldecott and Newbury award winners – treasures!

11 Carter Higgins January 30, 2013 at 9:30 am

I was thrilled to see THREE TIMES LUCKY take an Honor. I am in love with that book.

12 Janssen January 30, 2013 at 9:26 am

I love the ALA awards so much (and then have to make a big library list immediately after patting myself on the back for any that I have already read!). Always my favorite day in January.

13 Stephanie February 3, 2013 at 6:57 pm

“Extra Yarn” is definitely on my “best children’s books of 2012″ list. So imaginative and beautiful. I bought a copy for my niece’s 1st birthday in December.