Shadow Puppets

January 9, 2013

By Gabrielle.

Rainy day? Too cold? Stuck inside? These shadow puppets at Tinyfolk are the best-looking versions I’ve seen, and they’d make a great boredom fighter. There’s a moon landing set (complete with alien!), and a castle set as well.

1 Sarah January 9, 2013 at 9:06 am

those are pretty cute, and nice inspiration – i think the activity that would last longer at our house would be making our own shadow puppets – the possibilities are almost endless!

2 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 9:16 am

Hah! So true. When I was looking at these, I couldn’t help but imagine versions I’d like to make myself.

One of my friends from design school is a paper artist, and now I’m thinking it would be fun to reach out to her and have her create a set for Design Mom readers to download and cut out. Wouldn’t that be cool?

3 Lauren January 11, 2013 at 7:11 am

That would be great! It’s amazing how intricate and beautiful a piece of plain printer-paper can become if placed in the right artist’s hands! But I agree with Sarah, too… it would probably last a little longer and become more interactive if we made our own!

4 Sarah January 9, 2013 at 9:42 am

VERY cool! that’s an awesome job description: “paper artist”

5 Kate Frishman January 9, 2013 at 10:13 am

OOOH, paper artist. I’ve been obsessed with all things cut-able since November – stencils for t-shirts, glittery keys for our Harry Potter-themed Christmas morning treasure hunt, Dr. Who snowflakes. My tiny exacto knife is my friend :)

I’m certainly not a professional, but maybe I shall aspire to be a paper artist one day….

I’m going to have to try my hand at shadow puppets.

6 Design Mom January 10, 2013 at 5:04 am

I hope you’ll share the puppets you create, Kate! I’d love to see them.

7 Angela DeMuro January 9, 2013 at 10:25 am

OOOHHHH so adorable! And YES a set of Design Mom shadow puppets is a fantastic idea!

8 Jane January 9, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I love these! Shadow Puppets are my all time favorite! I got a complete set for christmas… http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/shopgifts-recipient-kids/25979824.jsp They are so fun!

9 Emme January 9, 2013 at 8:14 pm

All of the Moulin Roty line is fabulous! In fact, if you haven’t visited their shop in France, you should at least look them up! They have great designs!

10 Design Mom January 10, 2013 at 5:05 am

Agreed! I’ve never been to their shop in Paris (I totally need to), but their wares are in toy stores across France and are pretty much irresistible.

11 Hadley Duncan Howard January 9, 2013 at 8:55 pm

We have these (bought in The Netherlands) and love them! They’re a pretty great plaything for traveling with children — and amusing children in hotel rooms (and they take up no space in luggage).

12 Thomas January 11, 2013 at 3:33 pm

These look like a great idea for snowy days my niece and nephew visit and we can’t go out to sled ride. We already like to act out scenarios from shows or books. This will be a great way to add scenery and characters for those games.

13 Andrea January 12, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I love shadow puppets! We had fun making our own at Halloween: http://www.practicallyathome.com/?p=324

Also, check out Isabellas’ here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/IsabellasArt?ref=seller_info

They are so detailed! I love the Hansel and Gretel ones.

I like the space theme going on @ Tiny Folk. So fun!

14 Tinyfolk Gen January 13, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Thanks Gabrielle for featuring our shadow puppets! xx