Public Display of Affection

January 18, 2013

Breakfast at Tiffany's kiss

By Koseli.

Brain Pickings recently chronicled the first kiss in cinema, captured in 1896 by none other than Thomas Edison.

We know that public display of affection was stridently frowned on during the victorian era. I found this extra tidbit in the article particularly interesting: “…the act of kissing was referred to as “sparkin’” if it took place indoors, usually the parlor, or “spoonin’” when performed outdoors, in a secluded spot far from the public’s eye.”

What about you? Do you “spark” or “spoon” or are you more reserved with expressing affection in public? Does your spouse or partner feel the same way? What’s your favorite movie kiss?

1 Leigh January 18, 2013 at 5:52 am

i’m much more comfortable w/ PDAs than my hubby, but we’ve been married for 9 years and he’s really gotten more abliging – when i make the first move… :) but that is not talking about “making out” – just hugs and kisses. i do think there’s a point where it does become too much and everyone wants to say “get a room”! so when modest & appropriate, sure, PDA – ALL THE WAY! :)

2 Tabitha (From Single to Married) January 18, 2013 at 6:22 am

my husband and I always kiss in elevators – does that count? :)

3 Connie January 18, 2013 at 7:11 am

My husband and I hold hands or walk with one arm around the other person pretty much as often as possible, but he’s less comfy kissing in public than I am. He’s gotten better about it over the years, though.
My very favorite movie kiss is Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks in “You’ve Got Mail.” It makes me cry everytime, because it’s like, FINALLY!!

4 Christa the BabbyMama January 18, 2013 at 7:40 am

My man is way more open to PDAs than I am, but he’s more physically affectionate than I am in any case. I make an effort to hug and kiss him in front of the kids, though. They need to see that sort of thing!

We do hold hands when walking :)

5 Sarah Katherine January 18, 2013 at 7:50 am

I’ve always loved the kiss shared by Maria and the Captain in “the Sound of Music”. You know the gazebo scene? Love it!

6 Candace January 18, 2013 at 8:01 am

Best movie kiss? Hands down North & South. You watch the whole 4 hour movie to build up to it. It’s awesome.

7 Koseli Cummings January 18, 2013 at 9:45 am

That kiss is amazing, Candace. I love North and South so much!

8 Corrie Anne January 18, 2013 at 10:32 am

Good one!!!

9 Jennifer January 18, 2013 at 8:06 am

My favorite is in “A Room with A View,” when George Emerson kisses Lucy Honeychurch in the field. The music… the scenery… Mr. Emerson! It gave me butterflies the first time I watched it in high school, and it still does to this day!
P.S. I love that Sound of Music scene too!

10 Meggan January 18, 2013 at 9:26 am

Agreed! That is my #1 movie kiss of all time. Although the second time he kisses her is pretty great too!

11 Koseli Cummings January 18, 2013 at 9:46 am

I have yet to see the movie but the book is so wonderful. I need to check out this magical kiss.

12 Julie earle January 18, 2013 at 8:10 am

Best movie kiss ever?? Eric Stoltz is Keith and Mary Stewart Masterson is Watts in Some Kind Of Wonderful. Gorgeous!!!!

13 Design Mom January 18, 2013 at 11:03 am

Yes! I love that movie. Of all the 80′s teen movies, I think it’s my favorite.

14 Sarah January 19, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I second that. Such a good one! One of my favorites is in The Young Victoria. It’s not typical, though. It’s the part where they’ve just come in from the rain, and Prince Albert is undoing his tie, and Queen Victoria comes up behind him, puts her arms around him, and just kisses the back of his shoulder. It’s so tender.

15 Jennifer January 18, 2013 at 8:12 am

Best movie kiss ever? North and South, without a doubt! Watch the whole movie and then watch the last 10 minutes over, and over, and over . . . ;)

16 becky January 18, 2013 at 8:23 am

spark and spoon – as often as we can – and especially in front of our gagging son and giggling girl! :)

17 Heather January 18, 2013 at 8:44 am

No PDA, except a goodbye kiss if my husband & I have taken separate cars.

Best movie kiss??? I have no idea! But Breakfast at Tiffany’s is my fav movie!

18 Sarah Katherine January 18, 2013 at 9:03 am

Just watched the last 10 min. of North & South. You’re right, it’s the best!!

19 Sara January 18, 2013 at 9:07 am

Another vote for North and South! It takes my breath away! :) I think holding hands, hugging, and sweet little kisses are perfectly appropriate for public. They are some of the nicest times with my husband. :)

20 Design Mom January 18, 2013 at 11:04 am

How have I never seen or heard of North & South?

21 Jennifer January 18, 2013 at 3:10 pm

It’s a wonderful movie, I highly recommend it! Based on a novel by Elizabeth Gaskell written in the 1850s and made into a TV mini series by the BBC, (4 one-hour episodes), it is one of my favorites!

22 Ginger J. January 18, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I adore the ending of CINEMA PARADISO, where they show a montage of all the censored kisses taken from movies. It’s just fabulous. In fact, the whole movie is really wonderful. Highly recommended.

23 mom in mendon January 19, 2013 at 11:56 am

Love Cinema Paradiso, too.

24 Miggy January 18, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Not as classic at North and South (totally watched the movie instead of reading the book for book club…loved it!) but I’ve always been partial to the kiss in “Never Been Kissed.” I mean…much like N&S, the entire movie is leading up to that point and at first you’re like, “he’s not gonna come!” and then all of a sudden you hear the Beach Boys song Don’t Worry Baby, and he runs on to the field and BAM! I seriously love that kiss.

25 Sarah January 18, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I second Ginger J’s shout out for Cinema Paradisio. One of my favorite movies of all time. There are so many different forms of love in that movie; romantic love, love of place, friendship, love of movies. And yes, those kisses … sigh… :)

26 Jillian January 19, 2013 at 11:49 am

I love love love the montage of hugs & kisses at the beginning and end of Love Actually. And the song!

27 liz bohannon January 20, 2013 at 12:39 am

Wow! Now I’ve got to watch North and South! As for us, sparkin and spoonin! My husband and I are both very affectionate and don’t really think much about who is around. Certainly nothing racey–just hugs and kisses and holding hands. Although, now that we work full-time together, we have to actually think about our PDA at the workplace. (Lot’s of ‘sleeping with the boss’ jokes around our dinner table ;)

28 carpet cleaning harpenden January 20, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Great info. I love looking around the web when I am not cleaning the house finding interesting blogs and information like this. Great to see some off the wall posts rather than the normal same old posts that are everywhere. Well, better get back to the cleaning!

29 Kristine January 21, 2013 at 6:01 am

Love all the mentions above – but my favorite is “It’s -Wonderful Life” when George kisses Mary. “Now, you listen to me! I don’t want any plastics, and I don’t want any ground floors, and I don’t want to get married – ever – to anyone! You understand that? I want to do what I want to do. And you’re… Mary… Would you?… Would you?… ” Love that. A million times..

30 Anonymous August 12, 2013 at 12:40 am

And divisional director Patrick Leonard claimed its programs had been pushed by housing policy not welfare policy. Thus there were no proposals for onebedroom flats.

31 Haloti Ngata Jersey August 13, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Nobu Hospitality partners including Chef Nobu Matsuhisa, Robert De Niro, Meir Teper, Trevor Horwell and Struan McKenzie joined Caesars Palace in marking the completion and introduction of one of the hottest new boutique hotels featuring 181 rooms including 18 luxury suites.Set amidst the breathtaking Garden of the Gods pool oasis, the evening was complete with floating Japanese lanterns, Nobuinspired oneofakind fashions, taiko drummers, Nobu cuisine and distinctive Nobu cocktails.