Martin Luther King Jr. Day

January 21, 2013

By Gabrielle.

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day! Do you have a break from school or work today? Are you talking about civil rights with your kids? Does your family have any MLK Day traditions? I feel like our family needs a good one, so I’d love to hear your ideas!

In France, it’s a typical Monday — but my kids had a snow day on Friday, so it still felt like an extended weekend. As for my Monday, I’ll be spending it on an airplane. In fact, I’ll be mid-flight when this post goes live, traveling to Salt Lake City for Alt Summit. But there are more excellent posts on their way today, including a really cool DIY project. So stay tuned!

P.S. — I couldn’t find a good source for this gorgeous image of Martin Luther King Jr. and Coretta Scott King. If you know the source or photographer, please let me know and I’ll update the post.

1 lissalou January 21, 2013 at 7:12 am

You might like to know about the Sunday Suppers idea, launching this weekend, but held throughout the year and sponsored by Points of Light. http://pointsoflight.org/

The idea is to have people all over the country (the world?) bring neighbors and friends together to share a simple meal and talk about the issues of the day – especially the ones that would have been of concern to Martin Luther King. Their website has lots of ideas and how to host. Maybe you could share more with your readers!

2 Michelle January 21, 2013 at 8:12 am

There is a classic civil rights movie called Eyes on the Prize – it is in the American Experience series done by PBS. It is a staple in the curriculum of many US History classes. It is a couple of hours, but I remember growing up in my family we watched and discussed it. I wouldn’t recommend it for younger than 13 or 14 years old due to some of the imagery of violence in the South. It is most likely available for purchase from PBS, or even online streaming. I also try to participate in some sort of community service each year – service to each other and to God was such a key component of Dr. King’s message to humanity.

3 jessica brown January 21, 2013 at 8:32 am

I pick up trash on the greenway with my kids and then we go to a gospel concert in the evening. The local Martin Luther King Jr All Children’s Choir is amazing!

We’ve had the same MLK day routine for years now. Find one simple service project and repeat it every year!

4 shadygrove January 21, 2013 at 8:50 am

What a beautiful picture! I love that it captures this moment of happiness and glamour for their family in what must have been such a difficult life. I’d like a beautiful MLK day tradition, too, so will be watching this thread closely.

5 Erin January 21, 2013 at 9:45 am

Growing up in the south I remember each year, while my dad was serving in a larger role in our community, that we would attend one of the African-American churches MLK celebration/services. (We would usually be one of the only white families in the congregations.) I was too young to remember much of what was said, but I have always had a lot of respect and admiration for MLK and his movement. I also loved being a part of their singing, and believe me there was always plenty. It is probably about time I took my own children to do something similar.

6 Barchbo January 21, 2013 at 9:54 am

The MLK Day of Service is my favorite. I fell off the wagon this year with a toddler and an infant, but it’s a great tradition in which everyone wins! I usually organize a food drive/clothing drive at work for that day because we are open for business.

Happy Day! xoxo

7 Lynn January 21, 2013 at 9:10 pm

This is an amazing picture…..I’ve never seen this one before!