Happy Yolks

January 23, 2013

By Gabrielle. Images from Happy Yolks’ Persimmon Oatmeal Cookies recipe.

I do not suffer from jet lag. I do not suffer from jet lag. I do not suffer from jet lag. If  I tell myself this forcefully and often enough, it comes true! Do you trick your body like this, too?

It’s a funny quirk, but one thing I find myself doing while jet lagging is reading food blogs. Now, I can follow a recipe like most people, and I have a few of my own up my sleeve that make my kids happy every time they show up on our table! But. I am not a foodie by any means. Ben Blair is our resident chef. And yet when I read blogs like Happy Yolks or Orangette, I feel full, as though I’ve just consumed a three-course meal of savory moments, delicious observations, and sweet thoughts. They make me feel like I could make anything. Or at least go to sleep and dream about making anything!

For all the non-foodies out there: Do you regularly read gourmet-esque blogs? Tell me your favorites! Do they inspire you to try new things in the kitchen or do they satisfy your cravings in other ways?

P.S. — Also, it helps tremendously to surround yourself with happy, creative, and smiling people while you’re lagging, which is my current setting at the wonderfully galvanizing Alt Summit! Be sure to check out our Twitter stream at #AltSummit for as-it-happens inspiration over the next few days.

{ 1 trackback }

One Dozen Eggs, Five Dinners
February 13, 2013 at 8:02 pm

1 shelley Taylor January 23, 2013 at 7:24 am

Both. I cook recipes all the time from Smitten Kitchen, Simply Recipes and The Kitchn. I read with interest Orangette, Apples & Onions and NoRecipes, but rarely cook recipes from them.

2 Pam January 23, 2013 at 7:30 am

I love Mimi Thorisson’s food blog “Manger.” If you haven’t already seen it, I highly recommend it. Your blog and hers just makes me want to pack up the whole family and head to France, simply so we could shop for our food in open air markets then bring it home to our house in the country. The food she prepares is divine, but I am way too intimidated by the preparation, and to be honest, the skills required. Mimi, however, manages to make Christmas dinner in a sequin cocktail dress!

3 Bérangère Bouffard January 23, 2013 at 7:31 am

Always! It’s part of my morning ritual (with coffee) and quicker than if I lose myself in decor and design blogs (which I can be guilty of too). My computer opens with Simply Breakfast for morning inspiration, then in a specific order I check Orangette (even if it’s more focused on her gorgeous baby and life lately), The Wednesday Chef, Smitten Kitchen, Dinner:A love story, Lottie+Doof and might finish with SAVEUR if I didn’t lose myself in other links! :) I check them every morning just in case there is something new (it’s easy when they’re all waiting in my Bookmarks Bar). I’m a food blog junkie!

4 Ann January 23, 2013 at 8:00 am

Yes! I need them to keep me inspired and hopeful when it’s a week of quesadillas and chili for the fam. My current favorites are:

5 Jan January 23, 2013 at 8:18 am

Well, as a food blogger, food writer, and food editor, I’m happy to say that part of my job is immersing myself in food blogs all day long – not too shabby, eh? There are so many good ones out there, and every day I learn about new-to-me ones. I’m off to check out “Manger” now, thanks to the comment left by another reader. Dinner a Love Story is a personal favourite – I think Jenny and I could be good friends. :)

6 G at willowday January 23, 2013 at 9:20 am

I have not been jet lagged for 3 weeks either. I have not been jet lagged for 3 weeks either. I have not been jet lagged for 3 weeks either. Technically, my winter jet lag correctly transitioned into insomnia (which I normally never suffer from) and I wish I had followed your whim. I think winter jet lag is just the hardest… but, then, looking at the glass 1/2 full: jet lag may be the perfect way to discover new blogs. GReat idea. Thanks for the links – just beautiful. The photography is so beautiful. My jet lag tonic was finishing “Gone Girl” — which, if you’ve read, know is NOT sleep inducing at ALL and FLIPBOOK. Again, too much news: not sleep inducing. I don’t follow food blogs but, do return to cookbooks 101 regularly (I’ve loved everthing I’ve ever tried from her… and so wish I had those white marble counters) and have found a new -Canadian ex-pat living in Scandinavia who writes about whole foods: My New Roots. I love her writing style and the recipes look fresh.

7 Grace@ Sense and Simplicity January 23, 2013 at 9:43 am

I see there are lots of new food blogs for me to check out. I admire the photography more than I make the recipes, but I sometimes do get inspired. One of my go to blogs is Skinny Taste (http://www.skinnytaste.com/). I love that the photos are beautiful and the food is healthy.

8 Ann January 23, 2013 at 10:01 am

http://www.dinneralovestory.com is as gourmet as I get! I also subscribe to http://food52.com. I love these blogs!

9 Lauren January 23, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I do love food blogs, but try to only read ones with recipes that I will actually make! I’m a big fan of La Tartine Gourmande and have her cookbook too- the pictures are amazing and I’ve liked everything I’ve made from it.

10 Ann January 30, 2013 at 4:52 pm

My favorite food blogs are 101 Cookbooks, Love and Lemons, The Sprouted Kitchen, The Wednesday Chef, Orangette & Dana Treat. Their authors post delicious recipes, post often and write beautifully about their lives.