Gold Fireflies in Japan

January 15, 2013

fireflies in Japan 1
gold fireflies in Japan
gold fireflies in Japan
By Koseli. Images by Digital Photo Blog.

These gold fireflies in Japan gather during the rainy season to mate, creating a brilliant sight at night. It looks like the forest was sprinkled with tiny twinkle lights, as if there was a summit of the fairies.

It seems like it would be spectacular to walk through the mass of lights, but maybe it would just feel like bugs. : ) Are there fireflies where you live?

{ 4 trackbacks }

Squirrelly Minds » Ouch and some links
January 16, 2013 at 6:33 am
Gold Fireflies in Japan « Kelzuki
February 3, 2013 at 4:37 pm
A Poem: Fireflies | freedom rebel
February 21, 2013 at 2:32 am
What To Discuss At Your Next Dinner Party | Design For Mankind
March 13, 2013 at 9:03 am

1 Summer January 15, 2013 at 11:10 am

That’s so neat!

2 Ilene January 15, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I’ve never seen a firefly in real life but I would love to. They are definitely like little fairies!

3 Kim @ design + life + kids January 15, 2013 at 1:39 pm

What a gorgeous sight! Have you ever seen pictures of Bruce Munroe’s Light installation at Longwood Garden in PA? This reminds me a bit of it. Imagine the fireflies flying around his work… would be so magical!

4 Amy January 15, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Where I grew up (midwest) and where I live now (the south) both have fireflies. Sadly, fireflies are going the way of bees and frogs in that human activity is affecting their ability to mate, eat, and grow. Last summer I wrote this post about the problem and steps you can take to make your yard firefly-friendly. http://tinyurl.com/bexyfqg

5 Irena January 16, 2013 at 3:01 am

Yes, in Slovenia we have fireflies. I live in a tiny village and it looks magical, when in June every evening is sparkling around our garden or on the lawn we pass by for an evening walk… You can just stand there and admire the magic of nature. And it dos not feel like bugs all over ;) They fly gently and slowly and you can catch one and every time I am surprised how strong their buts glow :)

6 mom in mendon January 16, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Beautiful. I love fireflies. I was in college before I first saw them. Up until then I thought they were a myth.

7 christina January 16, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Yup, there’s a spot here where you can view them at night. You take a boat ride on a little river and it’s really magical. They’re getting harder to spot though… modern development isn’t very kind to things like fireflies

8 Emily January 16, 2013 at 8:51 pm

A summit of fairies, what a beautiful thought!

9 Kohana January 17, 2013 at 2:24 am

There are no fireflies here in Australia, and I still miss them keenly. I hope one day my children will get to capture them in jars, and wonder at their magnificence, the way I did as a child.

10 Emily January 17, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I used to rollerblade through a park that had fireflies. It did feel like skating through bugs, but I ended up covered in glowing streaks. It was pretty cool.

11 Kate January 20, 2013 at 10:34 am

Interestingly enough, a family friend from my childhood recently published a book about his experiences living in France and coming back home to America to do a road trip with his wife and daughters. In his travels to his childhood home, he’s reacquainted with his favorite memory: fireflies floating around his backyard on summer nights (which he doesn’t see in France).
The book is called Save For Fireflies and it’s written by Nathaniel Missildine. I really enjoyed it!