First Day Back

January 7, 2013

By Gabrielle. Image by Uli Weber for Vogue.

Hello, Friends! We are already a full week into January, and into the new year too! But to me, it feels like January 1st, because this is the first day my regular life schedule has returned.

The kids are in school. The beds have been made. The laundry is started. And I’m sitting down with my laptop to tackle last week’s email. (Often, I work while I travel, but Venice turned out to be not-that-sort-of-trip.)

Can you guess from the image above what was on my mind first thing this morning? Downton Abbey, of course! I will assume you watched it while I slept last night. You lucky duck. I still haven’t seen it, so no spoilers, please. : )

I love this image of the Downton Ladies in couture. They are lovely! Tell me, Friends, do you have a favorite character on the show?

1 mau January 7, 2013 at 3:12 am

The Dowager Countess, without doubt. She’s got the best lines and Maggie Smith is a living legend. She cracks me up every single time!

2 Angela January 7, 2013 at 3:26 am

I think the picture is Vogue

3 BON VOYAGE January 7, 2013 at 3:53 am

Yes. I think it is VOGUE, too. Gorgeous photo of the gals.
How happy some ore can be for being able to watch this program!!! Nada over here…

4 Design Mom January 7, 2013 at 4:00 am

Thanks, Ladies! Will update asap.

5 Aja Lake [the gold hat.] January 7, 2013 at 4:30 am

the dowager countess, of course. enjoy the show! xx

6 Susan January 7, 2013 at 5:30 am

You will love this episode. My husband and I were laughing at the 2 grandmothers going back and forth at each other. Enjoy!

7 Jennifer January 7, 2013 at 5:37 am

What a gorgeous shot… now that you’ve mentioned it, I want to watch that show!

8 Pegah January 7, 2013 at 6:48 am

this show is amazing. I love Sible first, i think she should be in the show allot more. my second favorite is Mary.

9 Design Mom January 7, 2013 at 7:47 am

I so agree, Pegah! I always wish Sible (Sybill?) would get more screen time.

10 Lisa January 8, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I won’t give any spoilers except to say I’m sad with what happens to a few characters this season. Amazon has the BBC unedited version on pre sale for $32. If the price goes lower between the time you place your order and it ships (first week of Feb.) they’ll automatically give you the lower price. Right now it’s $32 for the set. Cheers!

11 Sarah January 7, 2013 at 6:51 am

For Laughs: The Dowager Lady Countess
For moral fiber: Anna
For charm: Matthew and Lord Crawley
What will they do next?!? Thomas, Lady Mary, Branson

12 Megan M. January 7, 2013 at 6:58 am

The Dowager Countess, Lady Mary, Lady Sybil – I even love Edith, because I’m positive that had I lived in that time period, I would have been her. The “plain” one in my gorgeous sisters’ shadows. Sigh.

13 julia [life on churchill] January 7, 2013 at 7:03 am

I love them all, but I think Mary has grown so much over the last 3 seasons. Watching it yesterday was the highlight of my night!

14 Shannon { A Mom's Year } January 7, 2013 at 7:05 am

I love this show, too. I saw the cast on a talk show recently and it was fun to see the “downstairs” characters get to glam it up with clean hair, makeup, and flattering clothing!

I like the well-behaved characters (Matthew, etc.), but I think I like the badly-behaved ones even more.

15 Sharon @ Discovering Blog January 7, 2013 at 7:07 am

I just got Apple TV this weekend, and watched the first 3 episodes yesterday! I would have watched more, but it was time for bed. I’m sucked in now. Since I’m only still in the beginning, I’m trying to learn the names. I do love the butler with the cane, and also have a soft spot for any of the Irish maids, as my Grandma came from Ireland to NYC when she was 16 to be a maid.

16 Heather January 7, 2013 at 7:24 am

Dowager countess/Maggie Smith, love her!

17 Sandra Gonzales January 7, 2013 at 7:33 am

Mary can do no wrong…. Love her, love her, love her!

18 Sabrina January 7, 2013 at 7:39 am

The Dowager Countess, Lady Sybil and Mrs. Hughes

19 Bridget January 7, 2013 at 8:21 am

Ah, Gabrielle, you’re going to love season three! :)

Honestly, I think the English countryside and costumes do such a wonderful job complimenting the show…they deserve an honorable mention for their work!

20 KathyA January 7, 2013 at 8:36 am

I can’t wait to see it tonight! Lovely picture! Hope Venice was full of fun!

21 Giulia January 7, 2013 at 8:57 am

Gaby, I’m surprised you have not seen it yet – my mom got to see it Switzerland while it aired in the UK – so much happening in the new season…I’m not going to spoil it, but much better than season 2 which seemed quite rushed to me.

22 Dee January 7, 2013 at 9:22 am

The Dowager Countess, of course! I’ve already seen the entire series online…but I’m watching it again on PBS.

23 abbeyviolet January 7, 2013 at 9:29 am

Matthew and Dowager Countess are my favorites, but the entire show is so lovely.

24 Grace@ Sense and Simplicity January 7, 2013 at 9:33 am

Hubby gave me Season 1 for Christmas and I can’t wait to watch it with him. I’ve heard such good things about the show.

25 Janssen January 7, 2013 at 9:44 am

Matthew, of course!

And my laundry is in too.

26 Makayla Sampson January 7, 2013 at 9:57 am

I like them all!
Its fun to see how Thomas and Obrien connive together and how wicked they can be all the while maintaining their jobs. Its also fun to watch how knaive Daisy is influenced by others.

27 leslie January 7, 2013 at 10:04 am

Such a gorgeous photo of these ladies. The dresses are outstanding, a joy to look at. Thanks for sharing. Can’t wait to watch.

28 Zoe January 7, 2013 at 10:14 am

Love that photo of them — so gorgeous. My husband and I are on episode #6 of Season 3 and we’re aways going on about the attire — and the head pieces!

The Dowager Countess has the best lines… plus it’s Maggie Smith, the best of the best. My husband has a crush on Lady Mary and appreciates Mrs. Crawley. I enjoy so many of the characters…and actually really like Cora, the mom.

29 Beclim January 7, 2013 at 10:41 am

Each of them has their own unique character which makes the show so fun to watch. I’ve heard of the British series Upstairs, Downstairs but never watched it. For those who have watched it, would this be a more sophisticated version of it?

30 Holly Tigins January 7, 2013 at 10:45 am

Mathew, but he died in the christmas special… :’( NOOOOOO! <3

31 Teresa January 7, 2013 at 11:44 am

Oh no! The first episode of season 3 just aired on PBS last night. The Christmas Special is over a month away for us. Now I know too much . . . :)

32 Rochelle January 7, 2013 at 11:45 am

Teresa, Mathew hasn’t died. You are safe. I think Holly means someone else, but I won’t say, since you still haven’t seen it. :-)

33 Teresa January 7, 2013 at 11:54 am

What a relief! Thanks, Rochelle :)

34 Baboon January 7, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I’ll be honest: I hate the latest trend among blogs I follow which seem to dictate that you need to end a post with a question to your readers. It’s such a turn-off for me….BUT because I am crazy about Downton Abbey I’ll answer this one!!! The Dowager Countess is just marvelous but Matthew and Anna are close behind.

35 Andrea January 7, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I just started watching Downton Abbey (I’m trying my best to catch up) I started recording the new season and will save them until I can catch up!

I’m not sure about my favorite yet!!

36 Dena Barrie January 7, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Just finished season 3~ Living in Europe has it’s benefits~and it was amazing!! Love all of the ladies

37 Anneliese January 7, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Loved watching Downton last night! So nice to have it back. I feel I already have improved manners! :-) All three of the ladies are beautiful and I love the birth order dynamic and comparing it to my family of three sisters and my own three daughters! Sometimes my husband and I comment on the characters using our daughters’ names…

38 allysha January 7, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I wondered if you had watched it with the English, being across the pond as you are.
I will confess that I did! Every Monday morning, Downton Season 3, me, and my pile of laundry needing to be folded.

Season 3 takes a bit to get rolling, but there are some awesome scenes!

My favorite character? I love Violet. And Mary. And Carson. And… :)

39 Sarah January 7, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I don’t think it’s possible to choose a favorite, even my least favorites are my favorites … yes Thomas and O’Brien, I’m talking about YOU.

40 Baboon January 7, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Ah ah ah…you have a point…I wonder what will happen with those two!

41 kelleyn January 9, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I loved Sybil! She had the courage to follow her heart and step outside the box! She was gentle!

42 Lola G. January 10, 2013 at 12:01 am

The grande dame herself, Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess is the best!! I’m feeling a bit concerned regarding the addition of Shirley MacLaine to this season. I’ve seen all of the episodes that have aired here in the US, but I can’t shake the feeling that she’s been added to appeal to a wider American audience. Having two grandmothers with the witty repartee could be tiresome if not handled with a bit of restraint.

If you enjoy Stephen Colbert, and/or Downton Abbey, or the show Breaking Bad (which is a pay-cable show having something to do with meth labs, so expect content that corresponds) and enjoy spoofs, I’ve got just the ticket for you.

Here’s to Sunday nights at 9:00 or, as in our house, Monday night when we turn on the DVR!

43 Ellen Patton January 27, 2013 at 8:41 pm