Celebrations: Family Movie Party

January 8, 2013

By Gabrielle. Amazing Movie Marquee by my sister at Oh Happy Day.

I’ve got another Celebrations video to share with you! I think it’s a cute one. It features the whole family (plus pajamas and a trombone solo), and it’s all about turning an average Friday night into an Epic Family Movie Party. Also, I hope you like the sound of my voice, because I talk and talk and talk throughout the whole video.

If you want to create your own special movie night, you’re in luck, I put together a collection of 15 movie-party sources over on Babble just for you.

And now it’s your turn: What are your movie party traditions? And more importantly, who gets to decide which movie to watch? How about You’ve Got Mail? : )

P.S. — Fun fact: this was actually the first Celebrations episode we made, but I didn’t want it to get lost in the Halloween-Thanksgiving-Christmas rush, so I’ve been saving it till now.

1 Nikki January 8, 2013 at 11:57 am

I loved this Celebrations video. My kids love helping out with the snack bar. We’ve started a new tradition in last several months. Every Friday is pizza and movie night. This kids look forward to it, and now I always have a dinner plan.

2 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 3:51 am

When I wake up and already know what we’re having for dinner, it is always such a relief! I love your plan, Nikki.

3 The New Diplomats Wife January 8, 2013 at 12:50 pm

so adorable – i love how the every day at the blair household seems to be a special day.

4 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 3:52 am

What a sweet thing to say. Thank you!

5 Jen S January 8, 2013 at 1:36 pm

How cute is June!??! I’m dying from the cuteness!

6 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 3:53 am

It’s so fun for me to watch her. I have almost no video footage of my other children at that age, so I really treasure the videos of her.

7 Shannon Bradley-Colleary January 8, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Will you adopt me?

8 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 3:54 am

Definitely! Have you rescheduled your trip to France, yet?

9 Prêt à Voyager / Anne January 8, 2013 at 2:35 pm

So sweet, Gabby! You never cease to amaze. Love how simple the ideas are (and I don’t even have kids!).

10 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 3:55 am

Thank you, Anne. Sometimes I’m surprised how small an effort is required to make something (or someone!) feel special.

11 Wendy and tyler January 8, 2013 at 3:57 pm

This is my favorite one yet!

12 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 3:55 am

Thank you, Wendy! It’s one of the only videos (maybe the only one) we’ve made that show the whole family together. Makes me happy.

13 Ann January 8, 2013 at 4:15 pm

This was great! I’m going to step it up a notch! I love the idea of the tiny little bowls for candy so they can help themselves. Great ideas! Thanks so much.

14 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 3:56 am

So glad you noticed the tiny bowls! I feel like they are my best discovery for managing sugar intake when we’re having a party.

15 Stoich91 January 8, 2013 at 6:12 pm

ADORBS! :D Thanks so much for this awesome movie…I don’t think I’ve ever heard your voices before…also, thanks for the great movie suggestion! :D

16 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 3:57 am

Are you a You’ve Got Mail fan? We’re having a fun discussion about it here:

17 Shannon { A Mom's Year } January 8, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Said 8-year-old Lily, “Oooh, can we do that?!?”

18 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 3:58 am

Comments like that always make me grin, Shannon! I love when kids love the movies we make.

19 Rachael January 8, 2013 at 7:47 pm

We love movie parties at our house. I don’t know why I’m so weird about voices, but I hadn’t really heard yours before and it surprised me. I thought you’d sound different. You sounded nicer than I thought, isn’t that funny?

20 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 3:59 am

I’m still at the stage where it’s hard for me to listen to my own voice. I sound so unfamiliar to myself!

21 Kimberly January 8, 2013 at 10:01 pm

could not stop smiling while watching…and your voice is great.

22 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 3:59 am

Awww. Thanks, Kimberly!

23 Isabel @alphamom January 8, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I LOVED THIS VIDEO!

Everything from the lighting, to Ralph and his trombone and little June on Ben’s lap. But my favorite part was your narration. It’s just like when we’re sitting at lunch chatting. Especially when you read your final nugget, it was just like when you gab with me.

AWESOME.

24 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 4:02 am

Oh Isabel! You say exactly the right things. Thank you.

You know I really want these videos to be great, but I’m so unpracticed. Jordan and I were chatting about how to get my voice to sound more natural and chatty — because I can’t help but get stiff and formal when I’m being recorded. So your kind words are super reassuring. Seriously. You are the best!

I hope it’s just a matter of practice and experience. : )

25 Jillian in Italy January 9, 2013 at 3:15 am

And now I’m in need of a trombone player in the house! Takes kicking off movie night to a whole other level!

26 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 4:03 am

If you don’t have a horn player in the house, we’ve found using old camp cheers works as well. : )

27 Na'ama January 9, 2013 at 4:17 am

Such a sweet video. How do you choose a movie that interests and is appropriate for such a variety of ages? I would love to hear a few suggestions…

28 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 5:29 am

That’s a great topic idea for a post! I’ll have to make a list of some of our family favorites.

29 Vandegee January 9, 2013 at 7:50 am

Yes, please do! I was going to post the same request. It’s so hard to come up with movies for kids (and adults) of all ages, I’d love to hear your suggestions! (We usually go for classic musicals and comedies…)

30 Jess January 9, 2013 at 5:15 am

This is such a lovely video! And it’s so true about a tiny bit of extra effort going a loooooong way – not just with kids! If girlfriends are coming over for a chat + movie, you wouldn’t believe how picking up seasonal sweets or childhood favourites – just from the supermarket – makes everyone super excited and thrilled. Grown adults!

And that trombonist is just the coolest :)

31 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 5:30 am

You’re so right, Jess! A little effort can have big impact with people of all ages.

32 Wendy D January 9, 2013 at 7:25 am

The totally cool PJ styles, the helpers galore, and the SMILES make this the best idea (video or otherwise) ever on the internet. really.
Give your fam high fives all around from me – they are AWESOME!
Can’t wait to be dazzled and inspired more this year from you all. Thanks for sharing from the heart.

33 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Wendy! I just read your comment aloud to the whole family. It gave everyone a big grin. Thank you!

34 Rachel January 9, 2013 at 8:52 am

When our dad was deployed last time we would have movie nights when everyone was home. With the upcoming deployment, Dan and I have planned movie marathons for weekends when we don’t have other plans. We’ve compiled a list of different series to watch. I’ll be using some of these ideas to give those nights a little more meaning and identity. Thanks Gab! Cant wait to see you at ALT.

35 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I’d love to hear what’s on your list. I’m craving another TV series that I can dive into.

Excited you’ll be at Alt Summit!

36 Helen Jane January 9, 2013 at 10:37 am

This video makes me so very happy.
Gabby, it’s so warm!
And filled with practical tips (which are so easy to forget in our visual world).

37 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Have I ever told you how much I like your profile picture, Helen Jane? So glamorous!

38 Robin January 9, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Can you and Ben be my mom and dad?

39 Design Mom January 9, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Hi Robin! I’ll answer your question with a question: When are you coming to France?

40 Robin January 10, 2013 at 1:09 pm

How long are you going to be there?

41 Louise January 9, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I have to tell you, this one brought a tear to my eye (and I’m not pregnant, or usually emotional, either! Ha!). You are beautiful inside and out, and I feel grateful for everything you are doing (consciously or not) to model that being part of a happy, loving, creative family is actually the coolest thing ever! Thank you! ps. are you adopting people? Can I add my name to the list, too?!

42 Design Mom January 10, 2013 at 5:06 am

You’re the nicest, Louise! Thank you. Consider yourself adopted.

43 Koseli Cummings January 10, 2013 at 9:29 am

This was *so* cute. Simple, thoughtful tips that really left me thinking—yes! I can do this. Even for our date nights at home. I can always get behind some good snacks and general fanfare. :)

44 Adrianna January 10, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Thanks for sharing your insight on movie night. My family and I have one too with similar special popcorn containers. But my 10 year old daughter always makes movie tickets for us out of post it notes. I never realized until reading in your post about your trombone-playing son that she is adding her own touch to our tradition. I am going to appreciate her efforts more. Thank you for snapping me out of it.

45 Michele January 11, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Thankyou, Thankyou for this inspiring post. When I suggested to my teenage son we watch a movie together there was abit of eye rolling going on. I won him over with a trip to the shops for popcorn ,lollies and icecream. We came home rearranged the furniture and set up our bowls. I did the big TA DA in front of the TV (having no Ralph and his trombone!). We snuggled down and had a lovely afternoon. Now I can’t wait to do it again with the whole family.
I can highly recommend We bought a Zoo.

46 Emma @ Bake Sew Grow January 15, 2013 at 8:51 am

oh gosh, i love this video so much! so cute, i’ve watched it about ten times now ha :) hope there’s more!

47 Angela January 19, 2013 at 5:32 am

You guys are just too awesome. My family would love to be adopted…and come to France. Is tomorrow good? :) We do movie nights too, but seem to be running low on good family friendly movies. We are a bit protective of what are little ones watch. Do you have some favorites you’d suggest for mixed ages? I’d love to hear.
Thanks for all the fun inspiration.

48 Polly Rowan February 3, 2013 at 6:02 am