A Few Things

January 18, 2013

By Gabrielle. Illustration by Micah Player.

Hello, Friends! How are you? We are having a snow day today! The first one of this winter. We’ve built a roaring fire and we’re cooking a big pot of chili. And everyone is walking around the house in big sweaters or robes — it’s hard to keep this big old farmhouse warm. : )

Do you have any plans for the weekend? We are going to our neighbor’s house tomorrow for a King Cake celebration. We’re really looking forward to it! I’ve also got to get packed for Alt Summit, because I take the train to Paris on Sunday night for an early flight the next day. Super excited! How about you?

While I pull on my coziest socks, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share with you:

- Lately Lily created this fantastic illustration in response to Betty in Paris. It made me grin like crazy. (Thank you, by the way, for all the kind words about the video. We’re soooo pleased about the wonderful reaction!)

- Parenting without your parents.

- Have your kids ever gone through a firefighter phase? This app looks good.

- A great big sister + little sister bedroom.

- Instead of an album, Beck’s newest release is a song book. Great article! Thanks, Joana.

- Woah. This looks so futuristic.

- Do you have strong feelings about Angelia Jolie?

- The latest issue of Seeing the Everyday looks wonderful.

- A cute monster-themed party — I like the one-eyed rice crispie treats.

- A great photo essay on what she’s packing for Alt Summit.

- I haven’t bought U.S. postage stamps in 2 years. I miss them. Do you like the Lady Bird Johnson designs? Thanks, Anna.

I hope you have a fantastic weekend. If you’re experiencing record heat (hello, Australia!), I hope you find a way to keep cool. If you’re in snow up to your ears (hello, Salt Lake City!), I hope you find a way to stay cozy. I’ll meet you all back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

{ 1 trackback }

loving >> week 60 | Ciao Bella!
January 18, 2013 at 5:55 pm

1 BON VOYAGE January 18, 2013 at 10:46 am

Great, great great fun reads and links here. Thank you. And I still have not digested Betty in Paris yet… I L-O-V-E the video… It’s brilliant.

2 Carter Higgins January 18, 2013 at 11:13 am

LOVE Micah Player! I met him and his family once and was just enchanted. A perfect reaction to sweet Betty in Paris!

3 Cathryn January 18, 2013 at 11:53 am

I’ve finally watched Betty in Paris and OH I love it! As a Brit (who lived in France) who now lives in California, I ache for Paris on a regular basis and you and Betty made the ache MUCH worse. Luckily I’m in the snowy UK at the moment and we go to Paris on a day trip in a week’s time with my little 3 year old. We are heading straight for that carrousel – where is it roughly? Beautiful video, thank you!!!

4 Sandra Gonzales January 18, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Betty has star quality. The Disney Channel should be knocking your door down.

5 Aline January 18, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Yes. Angelina Jolie is an example of a good person. She got a beautiful heart and a blessed soul. If you see her in her 20′s and now… wow! She adopted a beautiful son and is incredible how he changed her. Thanks to her son (and now, husband and sons and daughter too) she turned into a better person and woman, and now helps other people too. She not just a celebrity, she’s a helper. It’s a beatiful life story.

6 Ann January 18, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Love those Lady Bird Johnson stamps! I will definately be getting those for spring. I often post stamps I find interesting on my blog because my husband gets packages from all around the world for his vinyl collection. Thanks! Enjoy the snow and chili!

7 Giulia January 18, 2013 at 5:04 pm

king’s cake!
it’s been almost two weeks since king’s day (6th) though. do they celebrate it later in france? or is your neighbor just lovely and throws the party anyways?
i’d love to just randomly celebrate, or simply eat, something holiday-ish this weekend. i think i’ll put up twinkle lights in january! :)

8 Micah January 18, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Olive Us is such an amazing series, and it really feels like the Betty in Paris episode is one of its crowning achievements(I do have a penchant for intrepid heroines roaming the wide open world!). Thank you for sharing my involuntary response to its epic cuteness, but especially for the inspiring shot in the arm your work gave to the middle of a busy week.

Best,

M

PS: Carter! Good to see you again, that was a very nice thing to say. Steph has that effect on people, we just had our 14th anniversary!

9 Courtney {a thoughtful place} January 18, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Was just introduced to your blog and am in love. Also so excited to know you will be speaking at Alt. I am already packing.

10 Lindsay Redd January 19, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Love love love! What a fun treasure for her to have when she is older! Absolutely love this!

11 Lindsay Redd January 19, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Oops commented on the wrong post!

12 shadygrove January 20, 2013 at 11:44 am

We went to a Twelfth Night celebration a couple of weeks ago where they served King Cake. (They also wassailed the apple trees and had a Boar’s Head pinata to smash, after a procession and a song blessing it. It was really neat.) Love the idea of musicians releasing song books instead of (or with!) albums — homemade jam for the win!

13 A Day in May Design January 20, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Chili, fireplace, and walking around in robes sounds like the perfect way to spend a snow day! It almost makes me sad that I’m living in California this winter instead of my native colder state!

14 Louise January 20, 2013 at 8:14 pm

during cold freezing days, i just spend the whole day sleeping under my blanket in my room

15 celesteandpearl.blogspot.com January 20, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Just cooked a pot of chili today!! Enjoyed it from a bread bowl – extra indulgent! Stay warm!
xx Liz ad Lo {celesteandpearl.blogspot.com}

16 Summer January 21, 2013 at 9:11 am

I love Angelina Jolie! I wanted her and Brad Pitt together long before they actually got together. Also, I feel like if my significant other left me for Angelina Jolie, I’d think, “Yeah….I can see why he’d pick her. Fair enough.” :P