A Few Things

January 11, 2013

By Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends. How is it going? Did you have a good week? Are you feeling like you’re back in the swing of things after the holiday break? Are you ready for the weekend?

I sure am. My wonderful friend Jyl, will arrive by train in a couple of hours (hooray!) and I’m so excited to spend the weekend with her. I have no idea what’s on her Normandy wish list, but I’m predicting we’ll make a trek to the D-Day Beaches — always a worthwhile fieldtrip. I’m also committed to giving the inside of our van a good scrub! Poor interior. It gets so neglected; it’s high time for couple hours of car detailing. How about you? Any weekend plans? Maybe a movie party? Or making resolutions with your kids?

While I prep for Jyl’s arrival, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you — it’s an extra long list since I missed last week:

- A real life astronaut tweeting from space to the Star Trek cast. Love this so much!

- The art of pickpocketing.

Rainbow igloo.

MIT interviews Bono about technology and transforming the world. Thanks, Rana.

- You’ve got boxes and twinkle lights from the holidays. You could make this with your kids. Via The Violet Hours.

- Artist + Mother, Zoë Pawlak. A beautiful interview.

- The Alpha Mom Book Club. Each month, 3 books are proposed, whichever gets the most votes is the one discussed. You can vote on February’s book here.

Rag rug DIY. I totally want to do this.

- Remember Geralyn? She created a darling new pregnancy journal. It would make such a sweet gift! (Pretty book trailer here.)

- A cute thank you photo shoot for wee-ones.

- On my next trip to San Francisco, I hope to visit this new store. It looks super charming.

- Makes me want to be on the Price Is Right. Via Dooce.

- Polkadots.

- It’s simply photos at a barbershop, but I found it compelling. (The Barber is also a musician).

So funny! “Instagram dat joint” is my favorite.

- In case you missed them, 15 sources to help you start your own movie party tradition.

I hope you have a delightful January weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — I snapped the photo of our house as we arrived home from Venice. It’s such an amazing place to return to. It’s hard to imagine leaving it. July is going to come so fast!

1 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay January 11, 2013 at 11:02 am

Our Bella Bee is home sick so I thought I would see how the Family Resolutions would be received by her. She wanted to do it right away!
I want to learn:Even more about nature
I want to read: Harry Potter again
I want to make: More things with Papa
I want to visit: Disney World
I want to change: I want to make it to the top of the climbing wall at REI (be brave)
I want to be better at: Being a better sister
Most of all I want: To have Zinsser stop barking (our Schnoodle is quite obsessed with squirrels and other dogs walking by)

2 Design Mom January 12, 2013 at 5:39 am

So cute I can’t even stand it.

3 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay January 11, 2013 at 11:06 am

The invisible driver video made my day yesterday. I could watch it 1000 times. I love the guy who keeps opening and shutting the window. What a hoot.

I declare that I need to laugh more in 2013.

4 christy January 11, 2013 at 11:29 am

Watched the driver video last night in bed with my hubby and we just laughed and laughed. “Instagram dat joint” was totally my favorite too!

5 Hayley January 11, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I’ve been on the Price is Right – sat front row, right beside the contestants! My tip – if you ever want to go on it – go in a group of 5 and wear matching stuff. That’s how many seats they have next to the contestants! :) Just something fun to think about!

6 Design Mom January 12, 2013 at 5:39 am

How fun, Hayley!

7 Aline January 11, 2013 at 12:35 pm

To be honest, I’m not feeling very motivated to get back to work. I’m re-thinking about it and in my holidays I decided I have to change my carreer. It’s a little bit (or better: it’s a lot!) depressive but I think is the perfect time to start living a more creative life. I hope to choose the right thing. Happy new year and happy new goals to us! (and God bless our dreams)

8 Design Mom January 12, 2013 at 5:40 am

Sounds like a major life change is coming up for you, Aline. I’m sure you’ll choose the right thing!

9 Amy Hackworth January 11, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Fun! Say to hi Jyl for us! (I’m jealous!)

10 Amy January 11, 2013 at 5:47 pm

What is the name of that beautiful vine that is attached to your home?

11 Design Mom January 12, 2013 at 5:41 am

It’s called Wisteria. It grows so fast, it has to be cut back 3 times a year. And it flowers in purple. It’s gorgeous!

12 Amy January 12, 2013 at 10:44 am

13 Kelly January 11, 2013 at 9:53 pm

What a gorgeous, gorgeous shot of what you came home to! I might be a little jealous.

I *just* watched the invisible driver video today. I agree with Pamela – the guy who just kept opening and shutting the window was AWESOME.

And even though it’s only 68 degrees where I am, I totally have igloo envy. That looks like so much fun. Cold, but fun.

Hope you have a good visit with your friend!

14 Design Mom January 12, 2013 at 5:42 am

I have igloo envy too. We haven’t seen even a touch of snow so far this year.

15 Tan January 13, 2013 at 11:00 am

Your home is so stunning! I imagine July will be hard indeed, but thankfully you have wonderful pictures, blog posts and Olive Us to remember it by!

16 Anna Swallow January 13, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Oh my goodness! Jyl is literally my next-door neighbor and I am so jealous that she is hanging out with you and your amazing family at Mont St. Michel today! I hope when she gets back I get to hear all about it, and maybe I can trick her into being my best friend! :)

17 Design Mom January 14, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Being Jyl’s neighbor sounds dreamy.

18 Mia January 21, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Hi Gabrielle!

Beautiful farm house!!! A dream house, sure.
Loved your blog and will cvome by as often as I can.