A Different Perspective

January 7, 2013

By Gabrielle.

I’m not sure which feeling I like best: setting off on an adventure, or coming back home from one. Both fill up my inspiration tank to overflow, and yet both keep my head a little distracted from work! Everything I see or read reminds me of holiday and/or home, and then I’m back browsing my Instagram stream. Does this happen to you, too?

LaNola Stone‘s photographs of dogs in the pound near her home set me straight again. How sweet is this: she asked for the ones least likely to be adopted, and set about rebranding them, capturing their personalities and acknowledging their “edge.” All found families and homes. Brilliant design. Brilliant kindness.

Look! No mention of Venice at all! I’m back.

P.S. — The dogs of Venice. Sigh. I knew it wouldn’t last.

{ 1 trackback }

I wish I could save them all | Rebecca the Housewrecka
September 17, 2014 at 8:27 am

1 Cerise January 7, 2013 at 10:05 am

Such a beautiful idea.

2 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay January 7, 2013 at 10:08 am

Brilliant kindness.

I love that. Perhaps that should be my mantra for the year.

We are doing a fundraiser in our family for the Humane Society right now. These photos made me want to work harder on making it a big success.

Beautiful dogs. And a beautiful heart in the photographer who wants to help them.

3 ami January 7, 2013 at 10:48 am

Lol I love how at the end you couldn’t help but mention Venice!!! I am waiting to see more pictures! It is on my wish list :)

4 Becky Sue January 7, 2013 at 12:37 pm

What a great idea! I am photographically obsessed as well as having the need to rescue/help as many animals as possible (4 reside in our household). I think I need to do this!

5 Alice January 7, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I totally understand what you mean when you say that you don’t know what you like best – setting off or getting back home – I feel exactly the same :)
x
Alice

6 Colleen January 7, 2013 at 1:51 pm

How serene do those terriers look? What beautiful, preconception smashing photos. Thank you for bringing them to attention!

7 hyzen January 7, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Love this!!! I am a frequent browser of petfinder (found my last 3 pets there, plus have helped friends and family find pets as well) and I often think that (1) it is such an amazing tool to connect homeless animals with people looking to adopt, and (2) some animals could have their adoption chances improved immensely if the shelter had someone willing and able to take more appealing photos of the pets. I have actually been wanting to volunteer to do this at my local shelters (I’m not a pro by any means, but I have a decent camera and know how to take decent pictures). It is wonderful to see someone doing this, and helping to get these lovely dogs adopted! They are gorgeous–a little skillful marketing was all they needed!

8 Leigh Ann January 7, 2013 at 4:01 pm

The last one is a dead ringer for my own SamDog, who I found at a shelter 6 years ago. More like he found me. He wiggled out of the gap between the gate of his pen and jumped into my lap. I was sold.

9 Stephanie Precourt January 7, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Oh, I love this!!

Steph

10 Rosa @ FLUTTERFLUTTER January 7, 2013 at 10:23 pm

This is fabulous! How sweet of an idea. Great pictures, and obviously LaNola has such a great heart. Smile-inducing post! :)

11 tere January 9, 2013 at 11:21 am

Made me laugh! I totally do it!

12 jessie hansen January 9, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I love me some pit bulls. That white dog is majestic! In our town they get put down within 3 days if nobody adopts them and it makes me sad.

13 walmart garcinia cambogia March 23, 2013 at 8:32 am

It’s enormous that you are getting ideas from this piece of writing as well as from our argument made at this place.|