Tuxedo Pants

December 18, 2012

By Gabrielle.

When it comes to style, tailored and traditional with a twist hooks me every time. Take the tuxedo, for example. Best when it’s vintage and still a perfect fit. Better than best and über-sexy when it’s draped on a woman.

Have you been lured yet by the myriad of tuxedo pants available this season? I am, too. I think it would be flattering on all shapes, don’t you? I’m tempted to just stitch a wide band of sequins or a chevron patterned ribbon down the side of my favorite black skinnies! I’ll let you know how it goes.

Do you borrow from the boys? Share your tips of what worked and what went horribly wrong, please! I’m betting there’s a formal jacket with nothing much underneath story out there somewhere, right?

Orange and navy Rag & Bone. Too cool.

1 Bryony December 18, 2012 at 10:23 am

I do love stealing my husband’s too-big-to-be-allowed stripey button-down and pairing it with my skinny jeans. It manages to look nice while A) being easy to breastfeed in (!!) and B) not involving much effort.

Also…grammar police moment! :) It’d be “myriad tuxedo pants”…you don’t need the “of”. In any event, I’d love to see what those black skinny trousers look like if you get all DIY on them and add a stripe.

2 Anna December 18, 2012 at 11:50 am

Haha, i’m laughing about the “über-sexy”, i have never seen this German word beeing used in an English text. And I wouldn’t take anything out of my husband’s closet, except for a big warm pullover in a cold day… ( Excuse my bad English).

3 PinonCoffee December 18, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I think it’s incredibly romantic when my husband shares his blazer when I get cold out on a date. :-)

I wish I could wear his clothes. I would totally borrow his sweaters and button-ups. Only then my realtor’s joke about his-and-hers closets being mine-and-mine-too closets would really come true!

4 Barchbo December 19, 2012 at 8:38 am

I don’t really borrow my husband’s clothes (the occasional t-shirt when pregnant) but my body type doesn’t really lend itself to men’s clothing. I have a cropped tux jacket (women’s, vintage) and a tuxedo style ruched pencil skirt but that’s about it. (I don’t wear them together.)

I wore J. Crew men’s rollneck sweaters all through college. I still like the look!

5 Kate The Great December 19, 2012 at 6:55 pm

You’re so right, Gabby, guess what? I have that story. Are you ready?

While touring the Oasis Bordello Museum in Wallace, Idaho –fascinating place btw– the tour guide said, “We’ve got a basement that is self-guided, as well as some clothes for sale that used to be part of the bordello. Are you interested?” All of us, surprisingly, said yes, so down we went.

It had some small interesting tidbits and a large box full of jumbled clothes. I began picking through the box and found that it was typical thrift store fare, except for the last thing in the bottom of the box– a flawless, grey tuxedo jacket. With no price tag on it. I was delighted to discover that it fit.

After taking it up the the front desk to ask about the price, I also discovered that it might have belonged to one of the gambling parlor workers who ran the poker tables. I bought it on the spot.

It was one of my favorite items of clothing for the years when I was a married college student. It was just the two of us in our apartment, and we had a very active intimate life. At one point, I wore nothing but my tuxedo jacket to show off my amazingly flat stomach.

I no longer fit into that jacket because my shoulders widened somewhere in the process of bringing our first child into the world. It now resides in my dress-up trunk for our kids to play with.

And, I have to admit, I wore it for Halloween this year as I dressed up as a ringmaster. I can’t let go of it completely; it has such a rick history.

6 Kate The Great December 19, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Oh, how embarrassing: “rich” not “rick”. Also, I no longer have that flat stomach, so it didn’t join my set of intimate wear.