Tiny Treasures: Happy Socks

December 5, 2012

happy socks

By Koseli. Image by ModCloth.

There are few things better than lounging in an oversized sweater, a topknot, and the perfect socks. It’s my nightly uniform. So here’s a little secret: I have ‘happy socks’! Have you heard of them? I’ve dubbed my favorite pair of Uniqlo socks my go-to happy socks and when I put them on, I can’t help but feel cozy and content.

Quirky knee-highs or polka dot trouser socks are obvious candidates but what’s most important is comfort and whether a quick jig in your socks will cheer you up.

What about you. Do you have happy socks? And just because I’m curious: Do you sleep with your socks on or off?

P.S. — Paint your toes red, lather on some thick cream, and sleep with your socks on for super soft, lovely feet in the morning. Socks aren’t just for cold feet!

1 Victoria W December 5, 2012 at 8:26 am

Sch a huge fan of happy socks! Wen I’m wearing socks, they rarely match my outfit as I pick them out according to my mood. Zebra stripes, dancing cats, polka dots, Santa Claus….it makes me happy knowing I’m wearing them. And after spending much of the last year going to infertility appointments where I had to wear that paper gown, it helped to have my happy socks on. Love ‘em!

2 Koseli Cummings December 5, 2012 at 9:57 am

Victoria, that is so sweet. Thanks for sharing!

3 GB December 5, 2012 at 9:23 am

A big Yes to happy socks! There’s this one pair of bright pink socks that I love so much I even wrote a post on them (http://gb73.blogspot.com/2012/01/fifty-two-objects-three.html)–they just make me smile.

4 Koseli Cummings December 5, 2012 at 9:56 am

That’s so great! You can’t go wrong with bright pink.

5 Sonya December 5, 2012 at 9:45 am

My feet get so cold, I have to sleep in socks.

6 Design Mom December 5, 2012 at 9:49 am

Another cheer for happy socks! Since I work at home, I find myself in socks most of the day, and try to keep a cheery assortment in my sock drawer.

7 Koseli Cummings December 5, 2012 at 9:58 am

I woke up with a bad cold so it’s a happy socks day today. :)

8 Sally from Little Hiccups December 5, 2012 at 11:04 am

I originally thought you were talking about the Swedish brand Happy Socks when I started reading this! They make the most wonderful, colourful, crazy patterned socks. They really are happy socks :)
My whole family wears them: me, my husband, our two kids… We even have matching pairs!

9 TracieMcOB December 5, 2012 at 11:14 am

My 18 year old son LOVES socks – he has a whole slew of wild, crazy socks, even one pair with yellow rubber duckies. He has even put pictures of them on his instagram; crazy kid – love him!

10 kpriss December 5, 2012 at 11:26 am

I sleep with my socks on. Almost always! and boy, do I love happy socks! <3

11 Sara @ What About Sara December 5, 2012 at 11:58 am

I definitely have happy socks – think polka dots and bright colors! In fact, a solid orange pair has been my go-to for happy days lately :)

As winter approaches, I’ve been sleeping in socks more and more – I never used to be able to tolerate it, but it’s getting chilly here in South Dakota!

12 Christie Elkins December 5, 2012 at 12:29 pm

LOVE socks with personality ;) And love the pic above of them poking above some rockin’ boots. A great, “grown up” version of silly socks!

13 Nicole December 5, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Not a sock person at all! I’ve always had an aversion to them, and I’ll admit that I’ve had some VERY stinky shoes because of it, but I don’t care. Socks make me angry. I can’t even sleep with blankets covering my feet, forget about socks! I tried once on a very cold night and woke up in the middle of the night so overheated and angry I threw them out. I don’t care how cute they are – socks are my enemies.

14 Design Mom December 5, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Your comment made me laugh, Nicole! I find the human body and all our individual attractions and aversions fascinating.

15 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay December 5, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Sleep with sock on? Yes.

Whenever I need super powers for the day I wear striped socks. It works.

It occurs to me that I really love socks now that you mention them.

16 Nicole December 5, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Am grieving because my happy socks just died of a hole in the heel:(

17 Sasha December 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Sleep in your socks and add reinventing the heel by origins… Wake up with silky smooth toes or twas as my family calls them. Love happy socks! I love juicy couture knee socks, they make me smile and they smell like couture. Hehe.

18 Lori H December 5, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I start out in socks (love Smartwool socks) then in the middle of the night I am too warm and kick them off!

19 ck December 6, 2012 at 1:26 am

definitely I’m a happy sock lover! My sister and I often get each other fun socks as presents, so I’ve got rainbow stripes that I wore when in labor, halloween socks that I wear all year long, Elvis socks (my favorite of all), and various bright argyles. The only thing is: sometimes I have too look serious (I’m a professor), and I have to be careful that I don’t accidentally go to an important interview in really goofy socks. :-) Now that I’ve written that, I’m thinking maybe I SHOULD go to important interviews in goofy socks.

20 Tasha December 6, 2012 at 4:06 am

Check out Madewell’s polka dot hat and gloves – a perfect match to the pink/tan socks!!! Want them all! ♥

21 Megan December 13, 2012 at 9:25 am

I love socks..I used to buy one pair every time I went to Target. They had the cutest designs. I have to find a new place to buy them this year though. Target must have changed something up because they are just not the same quality they were. And about sleeping in them I’m 50/50. I like going to bed with them on but I love the stage where they are half on and half off and then finally you wake up and they are crammed at the end of the bed. My husband thinks I’m so weird..acutally I think I’m kind of weird for it too. Oh well though!

22 Julia March 31, 2014 at 6:11 pm