The Nape

December 11, 2012

By Gabrielle.

Hands down, the nape of the neck is my favorite. The one that belongs to a fresh new baby after a bath, smelling wonderfully powdery and kissable. The one that swirls up into the tiniest pigtails during ballet class. The one that peeks out between painfully hopeful middle school topknots. The one that grows up and begs for a haircut every holiday season so it can make a grand entrance on Christmas Eve. “It’s me again! And don’t I still look and smell wonderful…not to mention kissable?”

The holidays tempt me toward that nape. Always.

Even though I attempt to pull my hair up into the tiniest of buns while I work from the sofa, and pretend it looks amazing, it’s officially (sigh) not long enough. And while it’s too late to grow my hair for Christmas and New Years, it’s never too late to cut it! : )

Are you the same way about napes? Are you the same way about napes during the holidays? Will you be getting a hair cut or trying any updos this month? Please do share links if you have a favorite tutorial.

Maybe I just need a jade hairpin!

1 Steph December 11, 2012 at 11:20 am

The problem with my own nape, is that my hair line goes about 4 inches further than it should! I look like a hairy ape when my hair is up, but sometimes I just don’t care and wear it up anyway.

2 Design Mom December 12, 2012 at 5:38 am

Oh man! I feel like my hairline changes all the time. Drives me crazy.

3 Anna December 11, 2012 at 11:28 am

Kissing my childrens’ napes fills me with such pleasure. And when I think of a beautiful nape, I always think of my sister. Her curls cascade just so.

4 Tasha December 11, 2012 at 12:33 pm

WOW! My husband’s favorite along w ears LOL
I do love a bellerina with a few soft pieces peeking around or a barbie ponytail with a sharp line…pretty:)

5 Anita December 11, 2012 at 12:42 pm

By far the most ticklish spot (and, therefore, most fun to kiss) spot on both of my children!

6 Design Mom December 12, 2012 at 5:39 am

Your comment made me smile, Anita. : )

7 hairyshoefairy December 11, 2012 at 1:00 pm

This is so funny because I just posted on instagram last night that I was seriously considering chopping off 13-15 inches of hair and getting a pixie. I do love the pretty line of a grown up nape and the squishy softness of my wee babe’s.

8 Tasha December 11, 2012 at 6:08 pm

WOW! Do it! That sounds cute:)

9 courtney December 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Ugh, I used to love wearing my hair up. After two children and the hair loss that ensued, i have the craziest nape ever! My hair on top is wavy, but not curly. BUT, pick up the top layer, and I have crazy corkscrew curls of new hairgrowth all along my nape! It makes wearing my hair up nearly impossible, as it’s not cute corkscrews, it’s craziness! But a baby nape, or a toddler nape – my fav!

10 Tasha December 11, 2012 at 6:09 pm

See below:

11 Design Mom December 12, 2012 at 5:40 am

I think we must have twinner hair! My curls along my nape are insanity.

12 Tasha December 11, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I have dealt with hair loss due to thyroid…try biotin supplements – it WORKS!

13 Corinne December 11, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Yes, I love it too. Totally unrelated, I heard a story on NPR today about why Abercrombie is so coveted in Europe and I thought of you! Here is the link:

Love your blog!

14 Design Mom December 12, 2012 at 5:40 am

Too funny! I was in Paris yesterday and the line outside of Abercrombie is still there. So crazy! Can’t wait to check out the NPR story. Thanks for the link.

15 Marisa December 11, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Inspired by this post and frustration with my growing-out, almost shoulder length hair, I grabbed some bobby pins and started playing. I ended up with messy double French twists. (Kind of like pigtails twisted up toward a loose center part.) My hair is curly, so it was ok messy, and I just stuck pins in to hold hair that wasn’t quite long enough. Lots of nape showing, and the hair was out of my way. I really liked it! I would love to find some more updo ideas for shorter hair.

16 Design Mom December 12, 2012 at 5:41 am

That sounds gorgeous, Marisa! Perhaps I will attempt to copy you. And I’m with you on craving more updo ideas for shorter hair. Hair blogs: take note!

17 Rhonda December 12, 2012 at 8:36 am

The nape is the best part on a baby! So warm and sweet smelling. The little dent where the back of the head meets the top of the neck? Sublime.

18 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay December 12, 2012 at 9:23 am

Can’t believe you just posted on this. The nape of my son Isaac’s neck inspired a long daydream just yesterday. Isaac has beautiful curls and the back of his neck is just being tickled by them since he needs a haircut. I was watching him play last night and just as he looked down at his toys I felt my heart beating out of my chest with love for him. The nape of his neck was making me swoon. I am so lucky our little guy came to us. At Christmas I feel so grateful for the two Birth Mothers who made us a family. I just sat there remembering our first Christmas with two children …finally. I sneak kisses on Isaac’s neck while he is sleeping. The best, yummiest spot.