The End of the World

December 20, 2012

By Gabrielle. Necklace by Pampermousse.

Did anyone else wake up to something like this? Hey Mom! Good morning. Last full day of being alive! Everything ends tomorrow. (All said in a very happy, upbeat voice.)

My kids are pretty fascinated with the Mayan-calendar-end-of-the-world predictions. They don’t seem to be scared, just curious. They can see that their parents don’t believe a word of it, so they mostly treat the idea like a joke. But you can see a tiny What If hiding in there somewhere.

I keep thinking back to Y2K and how I felt that night as the clock changed. A few months before, I had been very nervous about it, but that night I remember feeling pretty stress-free, having concluded that minds much smarter than mine had taken care of the situation. I know that’s not always the safest assumption to make, but it sure settled me down at the time.

Were you nervous then? Are you scared to wake up tomorrow? Are your kids talking about it too?

1 Jenny D. December 20, 2012 at 10:15 am

My husbands birthday is tomorrow so I’m thinking he will be turning another year older, although I think he secretly hopes he won’t have to!

2 RachSparkles December 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm

My fiance’s birthday is tomorrow too. We’re waiting to celebrate until Saturday, then we’re having a “The World Didn’t End Yesterday Celebration Breakfast!”

3 Jenny D. December 20, 2012 at 6:51 pm

That’s such a fun idea, I love it!

4 Wendy and tyler December 20, 2012 at 10:17 am

I remember being so excited to see what would happen at Y2K. Deep down I’m fascinated by doomsday!

5 agneslamexicaine December 20, 2012 at 10:46 am

From Mexico, I would like to clear things out so you can have a peaceful day tomorrow ;- ) The mayans have many different calendars (around 17), and this particular one, that has brought the attention of the occidental world, ends on the 21st december 2012: it does not mean it is the end of times, but the end of the cycle that marks this specific calendar and a particular alignment of planets. The mayas were not prophets but precise scientists and great astronomers. Today is actually a fantastic opportunity for our children to learn more about science, astronomy, mayan civilization and crazy beliefs!!

6 Sharon @ Discovering Blog December 20, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I never knew any of this – how interesting! I wish I had heard more about their culture, but then that might not garner ratings like fear does.

7 mandi@herbanhomestead December 20, 2012 at 2:37 pm

What a perfectly concise way to explain it! Thank you so much for your clarification! While I haven’t paid any attention to the hype, I love your last statement about seizing the opportunity to teach.

8 Diana December 20, 2012 at 10:59 am

@agneslamexicaine, Thanks for that info. I have watched a few documentaries lately about this and not one of them mentioned the fact there are multiple calendars. I think sometimes they are trying to frighten everyone for ratings. But I do have to admit I did a quick check on our 72 hours kits and made sure I had some cash on hand, just in case ;)

9 Tamsin December 20, 2012 at 11:12 am

OK, nerd alert! I took a class about the Maya civilization, and our professor always told us about how their calendar is cyclical and has actually ended several times over the centuries. Death and rebirth is pretty central to their beliefs, and to ancient Mayans, the world ended daily at sunset and was reborn at sunrise. So, seeing as the world on a regular, daily basis, I’m not too worried :)

10 amy December 20, 2012 at 11:15 am

I have been seeing an interesting twist on the “doomsday” scenario. The twist is that some spiritual communities believe that the old world as we know it, full of wars and violence and disagreements, may be ending, giving way to a new world of peace and prosperity. I would love that, wouldn’t you? I have to admit, after the polarized presidential election in the US, the horrific shootings at Newtown and in other places, and the continuation of wars and upheaval around the world, dare we hope for a brighter day by ushering in gun control laws in the US, political agreement in working to find a solution for the fiscal cliff, and plans to end wars? I much prefer that scenario…

11 Jess December 20, 2012 at 11:40 am

Oh, I like this one! And it’s much more proactive than waiting for the sun to implode :)

12 karen December 20, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Amen. I much prefer this scenario. Here’s to a world filled with peace and love.

13 Amy December 20, 2012 at 11:50 am

My 11 year old has been talking about for the past two weeks. He isn’t scared. He knows nothing will happen, but he does remind me how many more days till the end of the world!

14 jessie hansen December 20, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Does anyone else get that “End of the world as we know it” song stuck in their head whenever this comes up?

15 Tasha December 20, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Yes, my husband sings it to me to be funny…he knows I’m a little scared deep down. But we agree we have some time together here yet and have faith, so either way it’s all good! ♥

16 mandi@herbanhomestead December 20, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Ba! YES! It has been on a constant loop in my head the past few days!

17 Sally December 20, 2012 at 5:04 pm

My kids have been singing that song all year in preparation for tomorrow.

18 Meisi December 21, 2012 at 3:43 am

Yes!! all the time I thought I was alone :DDD
My children are also counting every day , but as Gabrielle’s happy and fun faces!

19 Summer December 20, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Ha, I never got into any Y2K/Rapture/Mayan Calendar hype. I love agneslamexicaine’s statement – I too hope this can be used as an education experience.

20 Megan M. December 20, 2012 at 3:08 pm

To me the best way to ensure that the world WON’T end is to definitively declare it’s going to happen on such and such date.

For Y2K I was at a church youth group party, and one of the directors thought it would be funny to sneak off during the countdown and flip the circuit breaker at midnight! It certainly made for a memorable party. :)

21 Lori H December 20, 2012 at 4:54 pm

My daughter’s 21st birthday is Sunday so she said she will be pretty bitter if the world ends before that :) I remember New Year’s Eve on Y2K and watching the celebrations across the world as midnight hit. Not scared just curious!

22 Stoich91 December 20, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Thanks for the great explanation, @Agnes! :D I find this one of the more fun, ‘light-hearted’ buzzes around the Christmas season than most of the media going on as of late…so I welcome this “world-ending” nonsense with wide arms! It’s fun, silly, and a bit uncanny…everything the holidays should be! :D

23 carolina December 20, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Love Agnes and amy I have not idea about it. Well in my country (Chile) is caos, people bought water, candles, food, since two years started with the info about “end of the world”. Even foreign, (no Chilean) built underground bunkers in Chilean South, is really crazy. i know the world doesn’t end tomorrow or tonight, (depends where do you live, or you believe 12/21 00:00 in every place, haha) but I’m afraid about the ones who really believe it, crazy people, capable to do crazy things.

24 Angely December 20, 2012 at 10:01 pm

After the shooting last week, schools here are on high alert for some crazy person to do something. My coworker doesn’t even want to send her kids to school tomorrow.

25 Heidi December 20, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I was curious about this whole thing, and if you believe what is on Wikipedia, there is a connection to a woman who claims to have a receiver planted in her brain to receive messages from aliens. So that’s pretty believable. The story does fall apart somewhat when you find out that she predicted that the world would end in 2003. Unfortunately for her, the prediction didn’t come true, so she has adjusted the dated to 2012.

Ok, now on a serious note – I am most concerned about people who will use this as an excuse to do stupid things. My son has decided to stay home from school tomorrow because he has heard talk of people planning to do stupid things. (like bring knives to school) I even wonder if this could be behind the awful happenings of the past week. Guess we will never know.