National Parks Race Series

December 7, 2012

By Gabrielle.

The youngest sibling in my family is Salem. He’s the father of 4, in an MBA program that finishes up this spring, and an entrepreneur through and through. His new creation: A National Park Race Series!

Each race is attached to a National Park. So you can run your heart out in a half-marathon, then fill your soul sight-seeing in the most breathtaking parks in the country. I think it’s such a fun idea! The race you’re training so hard for can become a vacation the whole family will look forward to.

Registration for the Zion Half Marathon opened on Thanksgiving. The Grand Canyon Half, Rocky Mountain Half, and Lake Powell Half will be announced shortly. I LOVE this video he made about the race:

I grew up near National Parks and have a real soft spot for them. I’m kind of a National Park junkie! Personally, I’m partial to Zion, Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain. Do you have a favorite?

P.S. — If you attended Alt Summit last January, you might have met Salem. He was the tall guy making shave ice at the Diner en Blanc party.

1 Katy December 7, 2012 at 7:35 am

Man, your whole family is all so ridiculously talented and smart it seems! Your parents must have done some things right :) I love this idea of the national park races. Definitely going to sign up for one.

2 Sara December 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Katy, that was my first thought, too – what a talented family you have, Gabrielle! And what a wonderful idea – such a fun way to see a national park.

3 Design Mom December 10, 2012 at 2:56 am

Thank you, Katy & Sara! Like any sister, I’m definitely proud of my siblings.

It always seems to me that there is a lot of pressure on the youngest kid in a big family, so I’m especially delighted to see Salem find a creative venture he’s really excited about.

4 Corrie Anne December 7, 2012 at 7:45 am

That video is amazing! I would love to run one (or all!) of these races.

5 Heather December 7, 2012 at 7:45 am

I love this idea! I just had a baby…otherwise I’d be trying to sign up for Zion! Luckily there are several parks to choose!

6 Kathryn h December 7, 2012 at 7:49 am

Olympic National Park is my favorite. A subtropical rainforest, beautiful mountains, amazing meadows and the cleanest air possible. Perfect!

7 Design Mom December 10, 2012 at 2:56 am

Mmmm. That’s sounds wonderful! Maybe it will be my next park to visit.

8 Laura December 7, 2012 at 8:06 am

Love this! Acadia is the closest one to me. He needs to bring it to the east coast so I can run!

9 Design Mom December 10, 2012 at 2:57 am

I agree! For those of us who grew up in the West, the Eastern National Parks seem so unfamiliar. I’d love an excuse to get to know them.

10 Jane December 7, 2012 at 8:08 am

What a great idea! Although I am no way ready to run a half marathon! I have only been to a few national parks. But we have one in our backyard – the Cuyahoga Valley National Park in OH. The primary trail is along the old tow path of the Ohio and Erie canal. Many of the original locks are standing along so you can learn about the rich history and be amazed that this canal was dug by hand in such a short time! We especially love to visit in the fall, biking as a family and picking up apples and licorice, exploring some of the interesting side trails.

11 Design Mom December 10, 2012 at 2:58 am

I’m always fascinated by stories of the Erie Canal. I bet that would make a great backdrop for a race!

12 Stella December 7, 2012 at 9:50 am

I love Zion National Park! We spent a few days there on our honeymoon. So beautiful!

13 bdaiss December 7, 2012 at 9:53 am

You know I love me a ton of NPs! Rocky and Crater Lake are two of my tops. Yellowstone is always fun for the charismatic megafauna. See also: Glacier. One of these days I’m going to make it to Denali!

14 Design Mom December 10, 2012 at 2:59 am

For sure you’ll make it to Denali! And the we want a full report. : )

15 Lori December 7, 2012 at 12:30 pm

File it under brilliant.
We visited Zion’s for the first time over the summer (my 8 and 10 year old boys conquered Angel’s Landing–so proud!), and it was breathtaking.
We also went to Yosemite in the same trip and I spent most of the time slack-jawed.
But I can’t help it–The Smoky Mountains National Park will always be my favorite. I would love to run a 1/2 there!

16 Design Mom December 10, 2012 at 2:59 am

Angel’s Landing is a hike worth being proud of even for adults! High-five to your boys.

17 Ellen Patton December 8, 2012 at 10:57 pm

My parents met at the Grand Canyon (they were working there during their college summer break). I grew up in the west where there are lots of national parks. I love them!

18 Design Mom December 10, 2012 at 3:01 am

So romantic! I had a co-worker when I was an intern in D.C., and she spent her summers working at Yellowstone. I think she mostly mowed lawns, but I always romanticized her adventures in my head.