Movie Theaters in Black and White

December 20, 2012

American movie theaters American movie theaters shot by Hiroshi Sugimoto American movie theaters shot by Hiroshi Sugimoto

By Koseli

Japanese photographer Hiroshi Sugimoto traveled across the United States shooting movie theater interiors during matinees and evening shows.  He would “open the shutter just before the ‘first light’ hit the screen and close it after the credits finished rolling” using the film itself as illumination. American Theater is a collection of these grainy black-and-white photos. They’re stark and a little lonely, don’t think you?

P.S. — Do you ever go to movies alone? I went to my first a few months ago and was surprised by how much I enjoyed myself.

1 Bevy December 20, 2012 at 8:04 am

I love going to the movies by myself. I haven’t done it since before we had our boys, but my husband and I would pick movies we each liked and go into separate theaters. It was ‘me’ time followed by a nice date dinner with the hubs.

2 Megan Flowers December 20, 2012 at 8:54 am

I really enjoy the movies by myself. It was not until I was a parent that I really started enjoying alone time. The theatre is the perfect place to be alone.

3 Koseli Cummings December 20, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Ditto, Megan. I appreciate that time like I never imagined I would.

4 Jeanette December 20, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Very beautiful, but they do make me feel a bit lonely. I went to my first movie alone when I was 14. I can’t remember the name of the movie, but I do remember that it was sad and I cried…alone! Since then, I’ve been to a handful of alone and I’ve always enjoyed the feeling of independence.

5 Megan M. December 20, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I’ve gone to a movie by myself a few times in my life. I’ve had people act like it’s the saddest thing in the world, but I’ve always had a great time. I agree with Megan Flowers – a movie theater is actually a great place to be alone!

6 Andrea December 21, 2012 at 11:38 am

I do enjoy the movies by myself! I plan on hopefully doing just that this weekend.