Lucy Chadwick

December 19, 2012

Lucy Chadwick at home

By Koseli

Looking effortlessly chic, Lucy Chadwick’s signature style—a top knot, cool glasses, chunky knits, and boyfriend jeans—pops up repeatedly on Pinterest and Tumblr for good reason. Somehow her look is edgy and pulled together but completely unpretentious. I love it. This video of Lucy by Todd Selby for Zara is a fascinating view into this artist’s New York City loft, personal aesthetic, and passion for architecture.

Isn’t she and Duffy’s A-frame refuge in upstate New York so dreamy? Lucy’s sentiments about living spaces and making them your own made me think: Do you have a place all your own? Have you ever transformed a room or even an entire home so that it’s “all you”? Or, if you could have any place to call your own, what and where would it be?

1 Becky December 19, 2012 at 8:35 am

Oh my gosh, this makes me feel sooooo much better! I picked up my new (large) glasses last week and and wasn’t in love with the look. Lucy is so darn cute, that I have a new love for my oversized frames. I needed this.

2 Amanda December 19, 2012 at 10:38 am

How wonderful to have a getaway/studio space! I love her burgundy sweater.

3 ali lanenga December 19, 2012 at 11:01 am

glasses like hers make me wish i had poor eye sight… i wish one could find fake glasses just as beautiful as those!

4 Stella December 19, 2012 at 12:05 pm

At the moment I don’t have my own place… My bf and I are in between countries at the moment, and are kinda checking out different neighborhoods, but I can’t wait to get our own place, and make it ours… We just moved to Berlin, its such a cool city and I’m happy to be here, I really hope we find THE place soon..

and oh yeah, Lucy is way cool. and chic. love that coffee maker, very unique!

5 Christie December 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Love it. Thank you for the post!

(Also, not trying to be rude, but it’s “her” not “she” when you are referring to the A-frame. An easy way to remember is to take the other person’s name out. “Isn’t her A-frame” not “Isn’t she’s A-frame.”)

6 Lamirose December 20, 2012 at 5:44 am

I love this film, I watch it from time to time when I lack inspiration…I love the way she speaks and the images are beautiful.

7 Carolyn Seely December 20, 2012 at 10:17 am

Not to be a Nancy Negative, but this video made the rounds in the blogging world quite a while ago. Love the new contributors on your blog, but would love to see more original, fresh content. (The feature on the Alice in Wonderland spread in Vogue is another example….this was from ages ago and it was not any secret that it featured fashion designers as part of the “cast”).

8 Design Mom December 21, 2012 at 7:02 am

Hi Carolyn. Thanks for the feedback, but I have to say: both the Alice in Wonderland shoot and this video are totally new-to-me. I guess you and I follow different blogs.

9 Tania December 24, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I love her style and it’s very in line with I like to wear as well. Thank you for sharing. I see the other comments about the content not being the newest and quite honestly I don’t mind. I hadn’t seen this video either on the design blogs I follow so it was new to me and I don’t really pay attention to original creation dates, I just enjoy your picks. You have multiple posts each day and quite a bit of original content with your how tos, life in Europe and other material. I struggle with that too sometimes with book shares on my blog, it’s not necessarily my goal to review a new design, art or photography book the minute it comes out. I’d rather do it more organically, when I stumble upon it and have had time to do a proper read so I’m sometimes late to the party but try to add value in my writing on why I decided to share it and how it inspired me. But, I’m quite small as far as blogs go so no one is visiting me for my cutting edginess :-)

10 Anatole Weaden January 12, 2013 at 1:11 pm

This kind of self-absorbed,navel-gazing tripe really saddens my soul.Her blubbering ‘I knew no different’ is by far the most astute thing that will ever come out of her mouth.This ‘stylish’ woman was born into searing privilege,tripping from one enviable scenario (private education,oxbridge university,’ownership’ of an art gallery on forein lands) to another – perfect for the aspirant drone,willing away the beige tedium of their own circumstance perhaps,but in no way fooling those of us who must rely on more than the whimsy of a substantial inheritance,and can appreciate beauty,thought and achievement as perceived in the real world.I happen to know this lady (and her best friend,a Hollywood starlet born of two moderately successful British actors.surprise surprise) and all of the things you drool over in this turgid piece,so artfully presented for no real purpose whatsoever,were acquired by the standing of her lineage and no discernable talent.Why not admire the aesthetic of someone who does something for a living,and truly understands the line between ‘art’ and ‘living space’,while not particularlybeing invested in the composition of the wood table in their home.
nonsense.